PDA

View Full Version : What are some of your smaller mods?

yeller
12-30-2006, 06:17 PM
What are the smallest mods you've done to your boat that gave you the most for your $; be it performance, storage, comfort, or ???

One of the things I've done to my 04 was relocate the lifting tab on the floor storage lid from the middle to one end. I got tired of having to pull the carpet almost completely off to get at the tab.
The other thing I did was cut the front seat posts 1". The seats still feel too high and there's 1/2" left so I'll be taking that off as well.

Ed Donnelly
12-30-2006, 08:04 PM
Twin Turbos,dual hydraulic sreering, K-Planes
Oh just reread your post. Got the most for your money
I thought it said TOOK most of your money.:bonk: ...Ed

Carl C
12-30-2006, 08:44 PM
Extra grab handles. You know about my "big" mod. I like the seats up high but have to use Wind-Aways sometimes.

DickB
12-31-2006, 07:31 PM
One of the things I've done to my 04 was relocate the lifting tab on the floor storage lid from the middle to one end. I got tired of having to pull the carpet almost completely off to get at the tab.
I poked a hole in my carpet and ran the thing right through so now it sits on top of the carpet.

gold-n-rod
01-01-2007, 11:05 AM
Probably the best $100 I spent on my Donzi was for Wind-Aways. The factory windscreen directed all the air right into my eyes. I tried goggles, but that didn't cut it.

It's hard to describe how the enjoyment of the boat increased. I could hear the exhaust tones, communicate with the passenger (besides sign language) and enjoy top speed runs without my cheeks flapping in the breeze. Oh, and my eyes stopped tearing up for the entire ride. And fewer bugs on the teeth, too!

Hard to believe that 2 pieces of plexiglas could add that much enjoyment to my boating. I suppose it's akin to Harley guys going with a windshield. Many of the same benefits (or detriments, depending on you point of view).

blueliner
01-01-2007, 12:10 PM
any pics??? are they permanently installed or can you take them off when u want???
Probably the best $100 I spent on my Donzi was for Wind-Aways. The factory windscreen directed all the air right into my eyes. I tried goggles, but that didn't cut it.
It's hard to describe how the enjoyment of the boat increased. I could hear the exhaust tones, communicate with the passenger (besides sign language) and enjoy top speed runs without my cheeks flapping in the breeze. Oh, and my eyes stopped tearing up for the entire ride. And fewer bugs on the teeth, too!
Hard to believe that 2 pieces of plexiglas could add that much enjoyment to my boating. I suppose it's akin to Harley guys going with a windshield. Many of the same benefits (or detriments, depending on you point of view).

gold-n-rod
01-01-2007, 07:59 PM
any pics??? are they permanently installed or can you take them off when u want???

As you can see (or not), they are fairly well invisible. They are held on by rubber-lined clamps that tighten down with a knob. They are easily removeable.

p729lws
01-01-2007, 08:39 PM
I don't think these are Windaway's but they do help some.

Tony
01-01-2007, 09:20 PM
Do you know what kind those are?

:beer:

Formula Jr
01-02-2007, 02:34 AM
Sand the WOT wetted surface of your hull with 150 grit. I know it sounds counter-intuitive and a nasty thing to do to a nice mirror finished keel and bottom, but you will gain one or two mph. Then its all just weight to think about. Has anyone ever cut the skeg completely off a drive and seen if that matters? If you don't care about slow speed steering, its a thought. If you have thru exhaust and still have the diffuser ring on your prop, you can take that off also. On Mercs that are aluminum, its just press fitted. A SS prop is good for 2 mph gain over any softer metal prop.

p729lws
01-02-2007, 03:00 PM
Do you know what kind those are?

Not sure if mine are manufactured or fabricated. I'll check and get back to you.

Dan

mikev
01-03-2007, 01:16 PM
for me the best money spent was getting my prop lab finished i gained 3mph for $300.00

CHACHI
01-03-2007, 01:39 PM
Hard to believe that 2 pieces of plexiglas could add that much enjoyment to my boating. I suppose it's akin to Harley guys going with a windshield. Many of the same benefits (or detriments, depending on you point of view).I purchased 6 feet of Saeng Micro Swirl edging(for motorcycles) with the adhesive back to deflect the wind on my 22. Alot less noticable than the plexiglass pieces but not removable. Windaway said they didn't think their product would mount to my windshield due to stainless frame being heavier on one side. I have not yet applied the 6 foot piece, I tested late last year with a 18 inch piece. Like Randy stated, I can now hear the exhaust.

Ken

Cuda
01-03-2007, 01:54 PM
I purchased 6 feet of Saeng Micro Swirl edging(for motorcycles) with the adhesive back to deflect the wind on my 22. Alot less noticable than the plexiglass pieces but not removable. Windaway said they didn't think their product would mount to my windshield due to stainless frame being heavier on one side. I have not yet applied the 6 foot piece, I tested late last year with a 18 inch piece. Like Randy stated, I can now hear the exhaust.
Ken
Picture??

CHACHI
01-03-2007, 02:13 PM
Picture??Joe, I do not have any photos, but try their site. The product is the Micro Swirl Edging http://www.saeng.com/

Ken

Tony
01-03-2007, 06:51 PM
Windaway said they didn't think their product would mount to my windshield due to stainless frame being heavier on one side.

Randy, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't your windshield have the same ss framework as my 22?
Ken, is yours different than the mid to late 90's style?

The micro-edge swirling is a sweet idea, but that black would probably not look too good on a stainless framed windshield.
Does anyone make it in a ss version?

Carl C
01-03-2007, 07:09 PM
Here is a wind-away on my 22 w/aluminum fairing. They have two mounting angles and are adj for width; should fit SS w/s. http://www.donzi.net/forums/showpost.php?p=369006&postcount=5

RedDog
01-03-2007, 08:03 PM
... I have not yet applied the 6 foot piece, I tested late last year with a 18 inch piece. Like Randy stated, I can now hear the exhaust.
Ken

So you thought the test using just the 18" piece worked well? Please describe the before and after difference you experienced.

I'm looking for some wind relief. I wear prescription glasses now and the wrap around sunglasses just won't work for me now. I end up using some goofy safety goggles over my prescription glasses that always want to blow off. I don't really care for the look of the "Wind Aways"

gold-n-rod
01-03-2007, 08:18 PM
Randy, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't your windshield have the same ss framework as my 22?

My frame along the top is square about 3/4" thick with a slight lip. Can't remember what your frame looked like, Tony...... I was driving too fast!!!!!

CHACHI
01-04-2007, 06:06 AM
Ken, is yours different than the mid to late 90's style?

The micro-edge swirling is a sweet idea, but that black would probably not look too good on a stainless framed windshield.
Does anyone make it in a ss version?

:beer:Tony, my windshield is not located in the center of the frame and the fame is not symetrical. It has a rounded frame in the front and a flat frame in the rear. Kinda "D" shaped looking at a side view.There is more frame in front of the "glass" than the rear.
Ken

CHACHI
01-04-2007, 06:23 AM
So you thought the test using just the 18" piece worked well? Please describe the before and after difference you experienced.
I'm looking for some wind relief. I wear prescription glasses now and the wrap around sunglasses just won't work for me now. I end up using some goofy safety goggles over my prescription glasses that always want to blow off. I don't really care for the look of the "Wind Aways"RD, one of my biggest complaints of the 22 was the wind blast, my Minx has a curved lip at the top of the windshield to deflect the wind. Even at a towering 5'5" The wind blast on the 22 was bothering, other than the fact I couldn't wear a hat (I can't figure out how Dr. Dan does it) the wind noise made it extremely difficult to talk.
I would drive the boat and hold two fingers on top of the frame and was amazed how much better the comfort level was. Being in the motorcycle industry I remembered seeing this product at a trade show in Daytona.
I held the 18" piece on top of the frame while driving 55-60 MPH- I heard the engine, no more wind noise, could speak to my passenger,(ok,my wife) and I could now wear a hat. I was very concerned about the look of the moulding but the cross section is very small. I really do not like the look of the wind wings as an add-on. The 6' piece didn't get installed last year because the cold weather moved in.
I know I have this sample piece around somewhere, I think it is up at my camp. I may be going up this weekend. If I can find it I will send it to you so you can "test" it.
Ken

RedDog
01-04-2007, 07:47 AM
RD, one of my biggest complaints of the 22 was the wind blast, my Minx has a curved lip at the top of the windshield to deflect the wind. Even at a towering 5'5" The wind blast on the 22 was bothering, other than the fact I couldn't wear a hat (I can't figure out how Dr. Dan does it) the wind noise made it extremely difficult to talk.
I would drive the boat and hold two fingers on top of the frame and was amazed how much better the comfort level was. Being in the motorcycle industry I remembered seeing this product at a trade show in Daytona.
I held the 18" piece on top of the frame while driving 55-60 MPH- I heard the engine, no more wind noise, could speak to my passenger,(ok,my wife) and I could now wear a hat. I was very concerned about the look of the moulding but the cross section is very small. I really do not like the look of the wind wings as an add-on. The 6' piece didn't get installed last year because the cold weather moved in.
I know I have this sample piece around somewhere, I think it is up at my camp. I may be going up this weekend. If I can find it I will send it to you so you can "test" it.
Ken

I'd love to have a chance to test it - although it will be April before I can do such. If you would let me try it I'll be sure to return it.

CHACHI
01-04-2007, 08:06 AM
I'd love to have a chance to test it - although it will be April before I can do such. If you would let me try it I'll be sure to return it...............just let me find it.
Ken

DonziJon
01-04-2007, 10:16 AM
Anyone that has not ridden in the front seat of a Minx may not be aware HOW efficient "That" Smoked Plexi windscreen with the curled top edge is. I'm 6'2" and can wear a broad brimmed "floppy" straw hat at anything under 60 without fear of losing it, and it doesn't flop around. I also don't wear wrap around glasses because they don't come in prescription. I can speak in a normal tone of voice to the other front seat passenger at WOT. OH: AND I can hear the exaust at all speeds which in a Donzi is manditory IMHO.

As an aside: I have a friend with a 400HP.. 78MPH ..18 Classic. After a ride in my Minx, he patted the windcsreen and said; "This.. is a Keeper". John

jdp_509
01-04-2007, 04:13 PM
What is a diffuser ring on your prop?

yeller
01-04-2007, 09:28 PM
I poked a hole in my carpet and ran the thing right through so now it sits on top of the carpet.I thought about doing that too. The snaps for my carpet get smokin' hot in the sun and hurt like hell when you step on them. I was worried the lifting tab would be the same.

I held the 18" piece on top of the frame while driving... I like the looks of this stuff. Would be barely noticable on the smoked windshields.
Minxguy, how do you think this could be mounted on the newer (frameless) windshields? What was the cost?

What is a diffuser ring on your prop? It's a "flare" at the tail end of the prop. Not all props have them. The purpose is to help keep the prop loaded when getting on plane so it doesn't blow out. Some are removable, others are part of the casting and would have to be machined off.

Formula Jr
01-05-2007, 01:54 AM
Yeller, You confirm my faith in this site...:wink:

CHACHI
01-05-2007, 06:00 AM
Minxguy, how do you think this could be mounted on the newer (frameless) windshields? What was the cost?
Yeller, if you get a chance to look at their web site, they manufacture two different types. If I had the new framless windshield, I would of opted for the "U" channel type edgeing. I have a framed windshield so I had to get the peel and stick.

The "U" channel will mount on a windshield edge with a thickness up to 1/4". and it comes with a guarantee. Not a bad deal considering the stuff is $12.90/ft.
The peel & stick does not come with such a guarantee. The price is less than Windwings and I think less noticable, even on a S/S frame.

The "U" channel product can probalby be removed to another windshield, the peel and stick, you are married to it.

Ken

yeller
01-05-2007, 11:00 AM
My windshield is 1/2" thick so the U-channel wouldn't work. Do you think the stick-on type could work on mine?

DonziJon
01-05-2007, 11:29 AM
400 hp 78 mph 18????

Actually I got it wrong. It's an (1987) boat. When he
bought it (used) had the standard 350/260 hp engine in it. The boat was
one of approx 30 boats built as a "Limited Edition" model, which meant
it was built structurally strong enough to upgrade the engine. After a
few years (4-5), he had a 454 put in the boat (approx 375 hp). He has
had it up to 78 mph. John

RickSE
01-05-2007, 12:09 PM
Yeller, just replace your middle piece with one like the 2003's. I wish Donzi would list this windscreen as an option.

RedDog
01-05-2007, 12:43 PM
it was built structurally strong enough to upgrade the engine. After a
few years (4-5), he had a 454 put in the boat (approx 375 hp). He has
had it up to 78 mph. John

The '90 18 I had had a 420 HP 454 - would only run 71 GPS. Is that 78 on GPS, speedo, or trailer :boggled:

Cuda
01-05-2007, 01:01 PM
it was built structurally strong enough to upgrade the engine.

That's the first I heard that an LE model was any different structurally. Buizilla has a 18 LE, and had a Minx LE.

DonziJon
01-05-2007, 02:07 PM
That was with a Full tank of gas, on the Speedometer, with Two people in the front, and a FAT guy in the back. Hey..what do I know. :bonk: The figures he gave are what he told me. I don't think he would make it up, but who knows. I can't imagine someone would Bull S..t about something as important as this.....are you kidding?? :lookaroun John

RedDog
01-05-2007, 06:28 PM
That was with a Full tank of gas, on the Speedometer, ...

Indicated speedo speed means nothing. By speedo I run about 80 - unfortunately the GPS indicates much less. Maybe my GPS is bad? :wink:

DonziJon
01-05-2007, 07:00 PM
Indicated speedo speed means nothing. By speedo I run about 80 - unfortunately the GPS indicates much less. Maybe my GPS is bad? :wink:

80 is pretty impressive. In 1987 a speedo was the best there was. I'm not one to discount that. Maybe "your" speedo sucks. C'mon RedDog..lighten up. Hey: What about the FAT guy? He can't be adding to the speed can he?? John :wink:

PS: I don't want this to get out of hand because of mis comunication. I'm just pullin your leg.

gcarter
01-05-2007, 07:33 PM
LOL.....I remember a semi recent outing when someone in front of me was bragging about running something over 65.....they weren't going any faster than I was and I had my GPS in my hand and it indicated 61.
I will say that a liquid filled Monster speedo whose range is significantly higher than your boats speed will be VERY accurate. The reasons are two fold...
1) They're pretty accurate anyway.
2) They're Bourdon tube instruments and they are most accurate in the middle of their range. i.e., they'll always be off if you're trying to do 80 MPH on a 80 MPH speedo. My boat is a 65 MPH boat on a good day and with my 100 MPH speedo, it's never off more than 1-2 MPH.

yeller
01-06-2007, 03:17 PM
Rick, is that windshield still available from Donzi? I definately want something. Not sure yet if I want it permanent or not. I only need something when doing lengthy 50~60mph cruises. The wind in my face doesn't bother me, it's the wind past my ears. It makes my eardrums hurt.

BTW: Thanks for the comp, JR. :wavey:

catch 22
01-07-2007, 05:35 PM
I terrorized the rev limiter in the 18....

She won't ride with me anymore, now the boat is MUCH faster :D :D :D

The other Scott

Honey, if your reading this, I'm just kidding :)
MP, You must have the same make and model rev limiter as I do. :wink:

CHACHI
01-08-2007, 06:18 AM
My windshield is 1/2" thick so the U-channel wouldn't work. Do you think the stick-on type could work on mine?I don't know why it wouldn't, I will be using the stick on, I will be attaching it on the top edge of my frame.