PDA

View Full Version : HP 500 Gil/risers in a 22 Classic???

RickR
12-26-2006, 04:55 PM
Has anyone tried to fit the Merc HP 500 exhaust (Gil) under the hatch of a 22 Classic???
Who is our Hardin Marine outlet?
I am having reversion psoblems using the Gil Magnum Choice risers :(
THANKS!

Mr X
12-26-2006, 05:39 PM
Yep, been there, done that. It fits.

The Hedgehog
12-27-2006, 10:50 AM
Yep, been there, done that. It fits.

Man, that setup should fly. What kind of speed did you get out of that?

Cuda
12-27-2006, 02:21 PM
As close as I can measure, I think you have 15.5 inches from the center of the manifold bolt holes to the hatch. I have about a quarter inch with the Dana risers.

BigGrizzly
12-27-2006, 06:52 PM
Green Ted put a video on the net two years ago and he was laughing so loud you couldn't hear the engine. I think the mid 90s and was bending his windshield in!. Ted repost it for him, he will get a kick out of it.

Mr X
12-27-2006, 07:17 PM
Here is a link to it.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/273795/donzi_22_classic_running_93_5_mph/

RickR
12-27-2006, 07:45 PM
Mr X
Do you know which risers are on the 600. They do not look like the current Gil HP riser (see pic)? Yours look more like Gil's "Bravo Wet Offshore tailpipes.

I have been told that Merc had a recall on the HP500 (carb) because the original Gil Wet Offshore risers were causing reversion. They then went to the taller Gil HP Bravo riser.

Does anyone know how bad Mercs reversion problem was with the HP500???? If it was a minor problem (engine running in cool weather, started without letting it come up to normal operating temp or low idle) I might just go with the Standard Wet Offshore riser.

Poodle
I would go with the Stainless Marine but I already have the Gil manifolds.

THANKS for the help!

BigGrizzly
12-28-2006, 08:31 AM
I know there was a reversion issue, how bad no one really knows. This is one reason they went to CMI exhaust. They were talking about this when I was up there having my system made. I truly believe a lot was driver induced. You know WFO, pull back the throttle to the stop etc. We do know the injected cams are different to help end this issue too.

The Hedgehog
12-28-2006, 12:10 PM
Man that video is unreal! That boat must have been a trip. I am thinking that Griz's Criteron ought to run something like that. One of the many boats I was unable to take a ride in at Eufaula due to a family situation!

Cuda
12-28-2006, 12:47 PM
Man that video is unreal! That boat must have been a trip. I am thinking that Griz's Criteron ought to run something like that. One of the many boats I was unable to take a ride in at Eufaula due to a family situation!
I think Catch 22 is the closest behind what Ted ran. Catch said he loved Ted's boat so much, that's the boat he pretty much modeled his after.

Mr X
12-28-2006, 05:36 PM
Rick, you are correct, they are Gil's "Bravo Wet Offshore tailpipes.
You can install the "turbulator" from Gil, and it will stop all reversion. It is a very in-expensive piece that sandwiches between the riser and manifold.
Shown in the upper left corner of this picture.
http://www.gilmarine.com/products/exsys/access.html

It literally vaporises any water that tries to enter the exaust chamber of the manifold.

RickR
12-28-2006, 06:46 PM
After doing some research, it looks like the Gil HP Wet risers will NOT work on a 22 Classic.

Seems like I cannot do anything without some modifications:bonk:

I'll either get Custom risers or modify the "Gil Wet Offshore"

Is there any reason I can't mill and Powdercoat a wedge out of 6061 aluminum (I'll remove the powdercoat from the inside)?

Mr X
Thanks for the info. I am running Turbolators but still have a reversion issue.

TOO many no wake zones:mad: I am getting yelled at by the "Water Nazis" and "The Boss":shocking:

BigGrizzly
12-28-2006, 06:47 PM
As far as I'm concerned Catch is faster than me and Ted is just faster then Catch. Both Catch and Ted have Imco shorties. That is between 3 and 10 mph on a 22 classic with that hp. With my TRS and the heavier boat I have to be at least 100 more hp to run mid 90s. At this point I like my boat and drive just fine. Ted, Jim. and I can tell you how hairy mid 80s plus can get in a classic. Without hydraulic forget it, the trip isn't worth it!