PDA

View Full Version : glass work ?

lee
12-24-2006, 12:40 PM
have gone over the hull on the project and ground out all the spider cracks on the hull and am ready to fill in all the v chanels i made. boats first driver kissed the dock alot .was windering what is the best glassfiller i should use plan on using emeron on the whole boat when finished

MOP
12-24-2006, 03:15 PM
How far did you feather out the cracks, filler only holds well in a well feathered area. Most fillers tend to shrink as they cure and will pull away from steep angles.

Phil

lee
12-24-2006, 03:52 PM
How far did you feather out the cracks, filler only holds well in a well feathered area. Most fillers tend to shrink as they cure and will pull away from steep angles.
Phil
about 1.5-2 mm deep and about 2 1/2mm wide

realbold
12-26-2006, 03:35 PM
I would use epoxy thickened with silica (cab-o-sil) and microballoons since you are going to paint anyway. Epoxy done right will never fall out. Paint it a light color and it wont shrink.

Greg
12-27-2006, 08:56 AM
I got my resins and fillers at a place called Eager Plastics in Chi. Nice people and they sell small amounts.

rustnrot
12-27-2006, 10:04 AM
Since it is going to be painted, i.e. no gelcoat coating over it, I wholeheartedly recommend epoxy as it is a much better adhesive and shrinks virtually nil compared to polyester fillers. On my next boat I am going to use this new product, called Quick Fair, http://www.systemthree.com/p_quikfair.asp rather than make my own putty. I have not used this product yet but will be using it soon.

gcarter
12-27-2006, 10:26 AM
Since it is going to be painted, i.e. no gelcoat coating over it, I wholeheartedly recommend epoxy as it is a much better adhesive and shrinks virtually nil compared to polyester fillers. On my next boat I am going to use this new product, called Quick Fair, http://www.systemthree.com/p_quikfair.asp rather than make my own putty. I have not used this product yet but will be using it soon.
I used a lot of System Three products a few years ago when I did an osmotic blister job on the bottom of a 33' sailboat. Now you talk about a lot of fairing!!!:eek!: :eek!:
I believe they have the most expansive product line and the highest quality in the industry.
But it's important to remember you must use their primer system before painting because many products don't bond well to epoxy. And don't even think about changing your mind about trying to use gel over epoxy......it just won't work.
Also, they offer pigmenting products for exterior finish.......kind of like epoxy gel.

realbold
12-27-2006, 11:24 AM
I've been using various System Three resins almost exclusively. They recently developed yet another resin. Check out thread "Insane Project". Any 2 part epoxy paint/primer will cover it and probably any 2 part urethane as well. Of course you have to sand it first. The resin pigments are no good for exterior finishes as all epoxy will degrade with long term exposure to sunlight. You have to paint it.

gcarter
12-27-2006, 11:42 AM
The resin pigments are no good for exterior finishes as all epoxy will degrade with long term exposure to sunlight. You have to paint it.
Ya know, I forgot that fact!
I wonder how it would hold up if you used a clear w/inhibitors over it?

realbold
12-27-2006, 02:03 PM
[QUOTE=gcarter;397829]I wonder how it would hold up if you used a clear w/inhibitors over it?/QUOTE]

System Three and others make UV stabilized clear coats.

Cuda
12-27-2006, 02:25 PM
I used to install epoxy flooring, and the chemical engineer there said no matter what anyone tells you, all epoxies will turn amber in the sun. I don't know if it hurts the strength any or not.

Flash
12-28-2006, 10:15 AM
I used West Systems to do the exact thing on 16' Donzi that was full of spider cracks. has been sitting two years waiting for paint looks very good.

Also did the same thing on our 37' hatteras after repair to deck coring and then painted with imron, has two years of use and not a sign of cracks.

realbold
12-28-2006, 12:39 PM
I am going to use this new product, called Quick Fair, http://www.systemthree.com/p_quikfair.asp rather than make my own putty. I have not used this product yet but will be using it soon.
Me too, whenever my tub of microballoons runs out. I still have a lot of structural work before I do much fairing though.

lee
01-01-2007, 08:20 PM
thanks for all the great advice will be ordering a tub this week happy new year

Rodger
01-02-2007, 10:34 AM
Like Greg mentioned above, I've been using Eager Plastics in Chicago for almost 20 years. They have many products to consider and they will sell in almost any quantity you want.