PDA

View Full Version : Old Mounts, new mounts,.. which to do to get boating ?

Lenny
12-22-2006, 08:59 PM
I have to put a new motor in an 18' for a short period of time. Pics as follows, old existing mounting system and new (mid 90's + Merc)

What would you do? This is bolting up to a VOLVO bellhousing.

mphatc
12-22-2006, 09:14 PM
Lenny,

Going under the assumption that both engines utilze the same block and offer the same fastening possibilites . .

Then I'd chose the old way, as it requires the least amount of mods to the boat . . seems simpler to me

Merry Christmas!!

Mario

maddad
12-22-2006, 09:52 PM
Lenny, when I switched to chevy/volvo, I had some old merc mounts like both of those to work with. Since close is good enough for volvo alignment, I got rid of the adjustable parts, used the mounts from the second picture, and came up with this.

Lenny
12-22-2006, 10:00 PM
Thanks Mario, NICE Mike :yes: :)

Yes, both 350's (sort of) ...

MOP
12-22-2006, 10:13 PM
I am with Mario, I am pretty sure the newer style will require notching your stringers.

New2Donzi
12-31-2006, 06:08 AM
Unfortunatly my old mounts when with my old block.
What would you guys suggest would be the best mounts for Chev/volvo combination if starting from scratch i.e. new mounts and new stringers.

Regards...Ed

maddad
12-31-2006, 11:23 AM
Hi Ed. I did start from scratch. This was a Ford boat until 2 years ago. At a boat graveyard, I grabbed a few mounts, hung the motor where it belonged and came up with whats in the picture. The backing plates and L are 1/4" steel scrap I cut and drilled, the motor mounts are the ones pictured second by Lenny, minus all the adjustable stuff. I put the L right down on the stringer and cut the right size shim from a urethane body bushing. A bronze sleeve keeps the bushings, mounts and plates lined up and a 5/8" bolt squeezes it all together.
The fact that Volvos don't need to be aligned as closely as a Merc makes the whole job fairly simple.

New2Donzi
01-02-2007, 09:43 PM
Thx Mike.
Great idea & Nice job!!
I like the fact that you did not have to cut up your stringers.
May be a good oiption for me.
Cheers....Ed