PDA

View Full Version : Dry Exhaust

smokediver
12-21-2006, 12:47 PM
anyone running a dry exhaust system ? just wanted to get a little feedback if it is too loud or bearable ...

Cuda
12-21-2006, 01:04 PM
Loud as hell, almost unbearable. Upleasant sound to me. Other opinions may differ.:)

Jamesbon
12-21-2006, 02:21 PM
It's a little louder than wet. I like it though..... My neighbor has it on a nasty 502, it'll just about make your ears ring if he revvs it up on the hose in the driveway and you're standing within 10 feet.

I have 5" dry on the GT....I can't wait to hear it...

royalbcat
12-21-2006, 03:03 PM
I have Stellings Drys on the '86. Loud but sound great just as long as you don't attract any "unwanted attention" :wink:

Barry Eller
12-21-2006, 06:42 PM
p729lws runs dry pipes in his 22. I suggested the name for his Donzi.

"Disturbing The Peace".

:beer: :yippie: :checkered

p729lws
12-22-2006, 06:44 AM
http://media.putfile.com/Donzi-DTP

Here's a putfile of Disturing the Peace, give it a bit to load. The motor is a 454 in the 450 HP range w/ dry Gil exhaust. It's pretty damn loud but I like it. I can see why many people would find it too loud.

Dan

smokediver
12-22-2006, 07:40 AM
I am probably changing my manifolds this "winter" ( cooler boating season:wink: ) and was thinking to switch over to a dry riser set up . I could sell my present stainless risers to offset some of the cost . Just thinking out loud ..

Ed Donnelly
12-22-2006, 07:45 AM
I had to put shotguns on mine.......Ed

Pismo
12-22-2006, 08:00 AM
Tooooo loud if totally dry. Even the smallest amount of water added at the end will quiet it down nicely and give it a better rumble.

mikev
12-22-2006, 11:26 AM
http://media.putfile.com/Donzi-DTP
Here's a putfile of Disturing the Peace, give it a bit to load. The motor is a 454 in the 450 HP range w/ dry Gil exhaust. It's pretty damn loud but I like it. I can see why many people would find it too load.
Dan

That sounds pretty good to me my question is if its dry exhaust how come there is water coming out of it? Is there water introduced into it at the tips. we used to have dry stacks on a jet boat when i was a kid and no water at all came out of them but then again they looked like giant chrome reverse headers that were higher than the air cleaner on top of the blower. looked something like this.

Cuda
12-22-2006, 11:48 AM
I don't think there is any water coming out the tips. I think the exhaust blows some of the water dump beside it, making it look like some coming out.

mikev
12-22-2006, 12:00 PM
I don't think there is any water coming out the tips. I think the exhaust blows some of the water dump beside it, making it look like some coming out. You are probably right now that I look at the clip again and the fact that I am half blind.

Cuda
12-22-2006, 12:04 PM
You are probably right now that I look at the clip again and the fact that I am half blind.
Don't feel bad, I looked at it a half dozen times, because I'm three quarters blind. :)

BigGrizzly
12-22-2006, 06:06 PM
Seen his boat, the water exits out of a pip next to the pipe. His are true dry exhausts. my old Hardings and CMI(on the Corsican). exit at the very last part of the pipe

p729lws
12-22-2006, 06:39 PM
About an inch from the outlet there is a 1/8" hole in the inner tube that allows a small amount of water into the exhaust flow. My understanding is that it's there to let it drain down. Most of the waterflow is out the thru hull fittings right next to the exhaust like BG said.

Dan

Pismo
12-23-2006, 07:23 AM
There is water in the exhaust in that video, little but there and that will make a big difference vs totally dry which is unbelieveably loud. Anyone remember DeNooyers "Heavy Chevy" from the late 70s. Totally dry, made the floor shake from miles away.

p729lws
12-23-2006, 10:13 AM
I am probably changing my manifolds this "winter" ( cooler boating season:wink: ) and was thinking to switch over to a dry riser set up . I could sell my present stainless risers to offset some of the cost . Just thinking out loud ..

If you go dry, take your measurments carefully or be prepared to cut new holes in your transom. The risers are solid from the manifold to the outlet. There aren't any transitions or hose sections to make fine adjustments. The penetraion of the transom gets finished with these trim rings. http://www.cpperformance.com/products/Exhaust/transom-rings.htm I guess you need a little play between the trim ring and the riser because all the ones I've seen have about a 1/4" gap there. The rubber gasket under the trim ring does a good job sealing the penetration.

Dan

LKSD
12-24-2006, 09:37 AM
That sounds pretty good to me my question is if its dry exhaust how come there is water coming out of it? Is there water introduced into it at the tips. we used to have dry stacks on a jet boat when i was a kid and no water at all came out of them but then again they looked like giant chrome reverse headers that were higher than the air cleaner on top of the blower. looked something like this.

I belive what you are talking about are the Zoomie headers.. They are LOUD!!! :) Jamie

LKSD
12-24-2006, 09:39 AM
Eventhough it was a bit loud, I like that clip.. :) J