PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Ford Explorer ??

MOP
12-20-2006, 09:45 PM
My younger brother has a problem with what he thinks is the air sensor on his Explorer, it is a rectangular piece mounted on the drivers side of the plastic manifold it has two vacuum hoses and an electric hook up. It got hot and started to melt the plastic, I would like to try to fix it but am not sure if the part is what he thinks it is.

Phil

KRAVEN
12-25-2006, 07:27 PM
My wife has a1999 4.0 liter explorer.I beleive it is the idle air control vlv or iac for short.At idle the motor will hunt for idle speed.I had to replace it about a year ago.:)

Schnook
12-25-2006, 11:08 PM
Just a wild guess, but perhaps it's the mass airflow sensor (MAF)? It's what gives the input as to how much air is going into the engine. It has an sensing element in it that is periodically heated up to a very high temp to burn off any contaminants that may give a false reading.

Voodoocanoe
12-28-2006, 04:48 PM
My younger brother has a problem with what he thinks is the air sensor on his Explorer, it is a rectangular piece mounted on the drivers side of the plastic manifold it has two vacuum hoses and an electric hook up. It got hot and started to melt the plastic, I would like to try to fix it but am not sure if the part is what he thinks it is.
Phil

It is the Delta PFE ( EGR control valve) it was very common for them to melt on the 3.0L/4.0L there was a TSB and the warrenty replacement was a metal one.