PDA

View Full Version : FWC is roughed in...

Jamesbon
12-19-2006, 08:48 AM
Finally got around to mounting the heat X, tranny & steering coolers. I took Randy's advice on mounting the FWC tank with stainless rod through bolted into the stringers and wrapped in rubber hose....it worked great. Most of the hoses are roughed in except for the raw water feed from the strainer to the coolers. I had a hell of a time with the wire re-inforced stuff I had laying around the shop, so today, I'm on the hunt for something easier to work with that can withstand the vacuum on that side of the system. The last mount I have to make is the one for the oil cooler. I'm using a piece of 1/2" angle aluminum which I'll fasten to the stringer, then U-bolt the cooler to the angle. On the hunt for SS u-bolts today. My favorite part of this whole ordeal is fabricating stuff from scratch. I wish I had a mill & lathe, but guess the DeWalt table saw & drill press will have to work for now... :bonk:

Also mounted the external hydraulic steering ram and stainless through hull hydraulic fittings. Looks pretty cool back there. Sorry, the camera ran out of juice after taking the pics below...

Where can I find a simple "poppit" valve? (isn't that what it's called??) I think I need a pressure relief valve plumbed into the sea strainer somewhere to relieve the excess H20 the scoop strainer will produce at high speeds...

MOP
12-19-2006, 11:54 AM
Nate I have a link for a real nice reasonably priced bronze & S/S adjustable relief valve at home I will post it later, the one I have and a few others far cheaper then the $300 Merc are posted on OSO.

Phil

BigGrizzly
12-19-2006, 06:21 PM
Nate, this is really looking good. Don't forget the surge tank must be mounted higher than the highest engine water hose by about at least one inch. you have plenty of room on the fire wall. As for poppette valve or pressure relief valves we sell them but they are very expensive. the truth is with a closed cooling system reduces the sever need for one so I would go with Phil's. Just so you know I don't use one on mine. I did have one when I was raw water cooled to keep from blowing the heads. now the only thing I worry about is popping a hose off. the way I drive it is highly unlikely. Any way you have done a great job!

MOP
12-19-2006, 07:11 PM
Nate I never did get one but the one I did check out was on https://straval.com/ , fairly reasonable and high quality.

Jamesbon
12-20-2006, 01:03 PM
Thanks Fellas. I'll give them a call.

I guess I could wait till the boat is up and running.....I don't plan to run her hard till everything is dialed in.

DONZI
12-22-2006, 05:31 PM
Look's great Nate ! :)
Here's another adj. relief valve also.

http://www.danamarineproducts.com/store.cfm?&catid=289&CFID=268079&CFTOKEN=77535145