PDA

View Full Version : OMC King Cobra drives?

rainy24
12-18-2006, 09:21 PM
I am lokking for some opinion about the OMC King Cobra sterndrives. One guy I talked to says that they are one of the tougher drives, but parts are rare, and a couple other people jaus laugh when I mention OMC. Anyone running one? Anyone else know?

RedDog
12-19-2006, 05:33 AM
they are bullet proof and parts are not really scarce. Plus, you won't be needing any parts.

If you like the boat, don't let the drive hold you back

Dr. Dan
12-19-2006, 05:51 AM
:wink: I can speak only from my limited experience in my humble little runabout! Red Dog is correct...parts are not scarce...there are tons of avenues for replacement parts...most are better than the original... in 5 years of running I only had to replace to shrouds/covers which were cracked the first year I owned the boat...by an idiot on a jet ski!

I run up to 80 mph and cruise over 70 mph carrying a full load of fuel, gear and Phat Donzi Friends & Hot Chicks... the Drive is really unbelieveable. It doesn't break if not abused/and serviced...most of my Bravo Buddies can not say that...especially if they are running real horsepower through them... I also think its ironic that the "New Bravo XR's are a return in conceptual design" to what mine is! So I think that speaks for itself.

If ya wanna see pics of my runabout...look under Dr. Dan under our Gallery or Member Section www.atlanticcoastdonzi.com or do a search under the "Performance Section" under "Preventative Medicine it's a Blue Pill"

Good Luck any Questions call or private email me here.

717-512-3656

Doc :wink:

RedDog
12-19-2006, 06:30 AM
PS - there are 2 versions of the King Cobra - 1 with a "hump" and an earlier version without the "hump." You want the later, stronger version with "hump" - http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=45308&highlight=omc+hump

Dr. Dan
12-19-2006, 07:55 AM
:wink: ...to quote Marty Feldman from the Movie Young Frankenstien...
"What Hump?"

:cool: I have only seen the King with the Hump....but many regular Cobras...without the hump... mine is deformed...it has a hump!

Doc of Humpty Dumpty :bonk:

Barry Eller
12-19-2006, 07:59 AM
Dr. Dan & RedDog are correct. My King Cobra is also hooked to a 502. Parts are no problem(my bellows split and saltwater got my U-joints and gimble bearing) but nothing else has been a problem.

Carl C
12-19-2006, 08:18 AM
A friend of mine on Lake Oakland is really proud of his King Cobra on his sbc 18C. He's running low 70's. I think the only downfall could be that it's not quite as "slippery".:boat:

Dr. Dan
12-19-2006, 08:31 AM
A friend of mine on Lake Oakland is really proud of his King Cobra on his sbc 18C. He's running low 70's. I think the only downfall could be that it's not quite as "slippery".:boat:

Carl...I think the jury is really out on that "Slippery" stuff.... rumor has it that it may in fact be more efficient in the proper set up than previously thought...I know Todd and Chris Allard, and Buizilla and MadPoodle can testify to such characteristics...

Actually when I did my repower everyone said the same thing... Wow Too Bad its not a Bravo....then after the HP500 went in and everyone saw just how well it ran, attitude, speed and overall performance... the Engineering Guru's started rethinking some common place Concepts...associated with the King Cobra.

I am having mine fully serviced this Spring...and will run it til it breaks.... then I'll go Black.. with ITS and a Box...then they can scratch their heads some more!

Doc of Drive Quandry's :cool:

BigGrizzly
12-19-2006, 07:00 PM
I'll bet that guy is trying to sell you a merc! If I had a King Cobra on my boat I wouldn't worry about it either. My boat is not a little runabout. Doc does take care of his boat but he doesn't take it easy by any stretch of the imagination!

florida gator
12-20-2006, 07:48 AM
Haven't had ANY problems with my Cobra drive.

need for speed
12-20-2006, 02:12 PM
I had one just like the Doc.... 3 years only problem was the u joints from salt water ... great drive~!!!

MOP
12-20-2006, 03:39 PM
Had OMC brought that drive out just a few years sooner they may have been King! I worked at the largest OMC dealership out our way and stop by fairly often, you rarely see a busted one on their racks. The first Kings were bottom shifters with better gears and shafts, the real King if tended too properly will run a very long time, they like any other drive need rolling torques checked and re-shimming when needed that and good oil and you are home free. All the design technology is Volvo and we all know how long they last.

Phil

BERTRAM BOY
12-21-2006, 09:17 PM
Doc, is your drive "shimmed"?

98shovel
01-01-2007, 01:54 PM
running a king cobra on a 22 classic with a 475 ford how much hp can they take and does anyone do external steering for a king ,herd with a bravo should go ext. after 70 mph what about on a king looking to hit mid 90'

Barry Eller
01-01-2007, 02:28 PM
I have a 502 in front of my King Cobra. I have heard they are rated for 650 HP. Dr. Dan investigated external steering. Would have to be custom made and very expensive. If you are going to try to go 90 MPH, you will most likely need a different drive, with external steering and a shortie lower.

Here is mine running a couple weeks ago with a friend driving. The Photo was taken with me holding the camera and driving too. Hard to do.

Here is Dan driving.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-823465654882711912&hl=en