PDA

View Full Version : Donzi 23zf vs Baja 250 vs Formula 25CC

florida gator
12-18-2006, 04:10 PM
I have decided to go with a cc. I have considered anywhere from 25' - 31'. I feel with the younger kids and still mostly family cruising on the agenda a cc in the mid 20's will work best. I will have time for the bigger offshore boats after the kids are grown or earlier if they decide thet like running out.

The search started with the 26 Scarab Sport. I really like the Scarab but it is diifucult to find one in good shape. Also, my bank will loan 10 years on a 99 or newer so even though I didn't want to spend more than mid $20s those are all older and in rough shape. For a more comfortable "payment", I can buy an early 2000's Donzi, Baja or Fountain.

Although I love Donzi, I wasn't even considering them until recenly when I learned the 23' zf may be nearly as big as the Baja 250.

Have any of you had experience with the Donzi, Baja, Fountain, Scarab or any other performance CC's I should be considering?

I primarily do family cruising not far offshore but frequently make long trips so fuel capacity and dry comfortable ride are important.

Magicallbill
12-19-2006, 04:02 AM
Jason(my son) bought a 23ZF from Key Largo a year ago.
It came with a single 225 Optimax.
On our sea trial, we immediately decided it needed twin 150's. The single was slow-to-plane,and that was with low fuel,3 people and no gear,cooler, etc.
So, engine-wise, we would reccommend the twins.(It really needs 200's, but the 150's cruise at 33-35 MPH or so, and top it around the low 50's.)
The twins give it much better mid-range accelleration, where you really need it, pushing it over seas, etc.
It rides really well. I had a 22 Grady-White Seafarer for 10 years, and the Donzi has a significantly better ride. It's dry up to 3-footers, then you take some over the quarters,depending on wind and wave direction.
It's built Donzi-solid,except for the CHEAP PLASTIC RING to open the anchor locker.
Because of the 23-degree(I think) deadrise in the hull, it rocks and rolls in even a small beam sea while adrift. However, underway, it handles well, and is a stable platform.
Plus, it looks really good, but that becomes subjective;Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, sort of thing.
Weighs out at 7400 LBS on a tandem trailer with 3/4 fuel and gear. Jason's Duramax gets 7-9 MPG to horse it around.
Jason overall is real happy with the boat. Our main problem was(and is) buffing the topsides out and waxing and re-waxing the darn thing to get the Fla. oxidation factor out of it. Sat outside for a couple years in Largo;you know the result.
Good luck,

Magicallbill.

florida gator
12-19-2006, 03:38 PM
The one I have inquired about has the twin 150's. Owner claims he gets 60+ with that setup.

Is the boat actually 24'7"? That is why I started considering. I have a Gt210 now. It is nearly 22'. I was originally looking to go 25'+ for the difference in ride but started considering this when I learned it was nearly as long as many of the 25' boats out there.

And I wouldn't have to buy other visors, shirts, etc. I could continue to wear my Donzi stuff.

And the cool people here would still talk to me!!:wink:

I just want to make sure I can continue to make long runs comfortably and occasionaly run out 60+ miles in the gulf.

Magicallbill
12-19-2006, 10:29 PM
I'm sure our's isn't doing 60-plus..Somewhere in the low-to-mid 50's is my guess.

I'm not sure of the LOA of the boat. I am sure that it's easily obtainable on the Donzi Site or a phone call to the factory or a dealer.

This is a big 23. We realize that every time we stand in front of it with a bucket and a sponge. Jason and I have not taken any long trips yet, but we feel in reasonable sea conditions, 60 miles out is doable. It gets 2-3 MPG at cruise,and I believe the tank holds 120 Gallons, maybe more. Ask about that when you inquire about the length.(Sorry about you having to "fill-in-the-blanks, but it's my son's boat. I don't know everything about it,technically.)
Anyway, we are gonna be in the Keys the 1st week in Jan.(Our vacation.) If the winds aren't blowing hard, we'll try to make the Tortugas,which is 75-or-so miles SW of Key West. The boat is capable of that, a Bahama run, or your runs off Crystal River.
Do as we did, take a sea trial. That's what sold us on the boat; The ride,and big-water confidence it gives. I can't compare it to a 25 or 26, as I haven't been on them personally, but I would think you'd be impressed with the 23. We sure were.
I think everyone here would continue to communicate with you even if you left the Donzi Family. Your only problem would be with Poodle if you bought a Chevy to pull your CC with.

florida gator
12-20-2006, 07:47 AM
One of my best friends and my Gator game hookup runs both local Ford dealerships. I would be in BIG trouble if I left the Ford family.

I hope to have a boat soon but let me know how the Tortugas run goes. That and Bahamas are both things I have been interested in and don't want to be limited.

Magicallbill
12-21-2006, 12:00 AM
Will Do; We've thought about running that trip for awhile, but haven't had a rig with the fuel cap. to make it back to key West until Jason bought the 23.
I have a soft spot for Crystal River.
Even after I-75 was completed in the late 60's, we continued to go down to Sarasota on 19. All the traffic diverted to the interstate leaving 19 almost ghostly between Cross City and Perry. All we met were locals and the frequent flatbed logging trucks loaded with pine tree trunks.
We loved the tranquility of the 19 route,and would stay in the Holiday Inn at Crystal R. (Now what is it? A Days Inn?) It had the WARMEST pool I ever remember swimming in.
All up and down 19 we still see(on the infrequent times we go down to Fla nowadays) a lot of the old motels and buildings that were there in the 60's. What a great time warp.
Shame we gotta get old....
Have a great holiday..Let me know what you decide on the boat thing.

Magicallbill