PDA

View Full Version : Another Velvet Drive question

HallJ
12-18-2006, 11:53 AM
Does anyone know if it is possible to convert a TRS style 72C Velvet Drive to a standard style with the 4-bolt output drive flange?

It looks like it will need a different output shaft and rear housing for sure.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

BigGrizzly
12-18-2006, 12:28 PM
Yes, it is done normally with the c18 because it is stronger. the output shaft does have to be replaced as well as the tail shaft housing in most cases this makes the trans shorter. If your thinking of putting an arneson on it check the CDMA post on his 22 classic.

HallJ
12-19-2006, 08:39 AM
BigGrizz

The arneson is exactly my plan.

Do you know where I would get the parts to swap out?

Jeff

Pismo
12-19-2006, 08:45 AM
Are you putting an Arneson on a 22? I would think you would need huge hp to really make it work.

Jamesbon
12-19-2006, 09:22 AM
Try Marc at Bam Marine in Ft. Lauderdale. I purchased an "1850 Spicer" drive line flange for my 72C where she mated to the Arneson's input shaft, from Bam.

HallJ
12-19-2006, 09:22 AM
Its going on a 20 minx.

If the Arneson has less drag than a conventional I/O, wouldn't it require less HP to go the same speed?

Jeff

BigGrizzly
12-19-2006, 06:47 PM
that is what bond is doing now so listen to him or talk to Chris Allard or GEEO on the subject.

HallJ
12-20-2006, 11:59 AM
Try Marc at Bam Marine in Ft. Lauderdale. I purchased an "1850 Spicer" drive line flange for my 72C where she mated to the Arneson's input shaft, from Bam.

Thanks I'll give them a call.
By the way....... Could you sneek behind the engine and shoot a couple pics of the trans-drive interface?
Thanks,
Jeff

Jamesbon
12-20-2006, 12:59 PM
Sure. It'll be a week or so... I'm tied up doing the X-Mas thing...

DONZI
01-18-2007, 03:54 PM
Thanks I'll give them a call.
By the way....... Could you sneek behind the engine and shoot a couple pics of the trans-drive interface?
Thanks,
Jeff
Just curious H.J. if you got any prices/info on converting tailshaft & housing ?

I know the C.V. Joint runs around $350.00 from Arneson also.
Pic. below of the Trans. assy from Arnesons site.

HallJ
01-19-2007, 11:45 AM
Not yet, I'll try to do that next week.
I'll let you know!

Jeff

Pismo
01-23-2007, 03:12 PM
Its going on a 20 minx.
If the Arneson has less drag than a conventional I/O, wouldn't it require less HP to go the same speed?
Jeff

No, it depends on the hull. The problem with arnesons is you lose lots of bow lift. Many boats will go slower due to this inability to get the bow up as far. They plow, bow steer, and lose speed. Went from a 100hp outboard to a 225hp stern drive with an Arneson and lost 13mph once. Doesn't always work.

HallJ
02-06-2007, 11:31 AM
I e-mailed BAM marine about converting my TRS velvet drive to a standard style. They didn't seem to think it was possible. Does anyone have any better info on the subject?

Jeff

ragbagger270
02-06-2007, 11:59 AM
I just finished overhauling my Velvet Drive-TRS. I had a modified trans by Huber. Earl @ Huber is a super nice guy and was very helpful to me. So was Buzzilla on this board. Buzilla and his tech took their valuble time to tell me about it. I would call him. I don't buy the advice from your shop guy that said it can't be done.I also had a a spare Velvet Drive w/TRS setup I bought real cheap. You will have to get a new rear housing-bearing carrier and new output shaft. The TRS tail-housing is exteneded with two carrier bearing that hold the TRS drive shaft. The TRS output shaft is a hollow slined hub the drive input shaft fits into. That hollow splined output shaft is really only a few inches long and fits into the clutch drum output.

I would look for a used-core Velvet Drive like you need, but it cheap and then combine the parts. They can be found cheap and it is easy to do. To buy the parts new is going to cost $300-$400 I would guess.

If I did it, you can.

Jamesbon
02-06-2007, 08:30 PM
Being unaware of any other obvious issues, spring for a Borg Warner Velvet Drive (72C) for $500.00 bucks. (used) Should be readily available. Worst case, buy one, have it re-built for around $500. (just did it through King Marine Engineering in St. Pete., FL)

Here's my long over due pics I promised you. These are of the BW 72C trans. in the Arneson extension box with the "Spicer" drive line flange, available from Marc at Bam Marine.

just realized they are on my 'OL laptop at the office....sorry for the teaser. Will post the pics in the AM.

BigGrizzly
02-06-2007, 08:31 PM
Call Huber marine in I think Franklin Tennessee. He tough mark everything he knew and is the best there is. BTW the lady who answers the phone is his wife and can build a trans in her sleep, so be nice. I know the conversion can be made just there may be a cost issue.

Jamesbon
02-07-2007, 08:58 AM
As promised...

HallJ
02-07-2007, 11:34 AM
Thanks Grizz and Jamesbon,

I called Huber, Earl was out sick today. I left my number.
I checked out their website, looks like they have some great devlopments for the Velvet drive.

Jeff

BigGrizzly
02-07-2007, 07:30 PM
Good move thesr guys wrote the book. They helped me.

Boatless
02-09-2007, 06:41 PM
No, it depends on the hull. The problem with arnesons is you lose lots of bow lift. Many boats will go slower due to this inability to get the bow up as far. They plow, bow steer, and lose speed. Went from a 100hp outboard to a 225hp stern drive with an Arneson and lost 13mph once. Doesn't always work.

Who told you that a 225 hp Inboard was comparable to a 100 hp outboard?

BigGrizzly
02-10-2007, 08:22 AM
Be fair. Put the 225 with an out drive like a Alpha Volvo or Bravo on the same hull. How about a Donzi 16. A 100 hp outboard Is slower then a a 289cid 225hp with a Volvo on it. This is indisputable, I have done this several times with a 115 Merc outboard and several 16 classics. Maybe, the angle and hight of the prop in relation to the bottom of the hull has something to do with it not just the balance of the boat?