PDA

View Full Version : 24 Spitfire

Brian Becker
12-17-2006, 11:40 PM
In process of getting a 24 spitfire home Its a project boat buts been in storage last 15 years Does anyone out there have one so I can get some feedback on this hull and how it performs? Twin 350 TRS Also need some exhaust manifolds... Holman Moody for a 1968 18 2 plus 3 427 V-Drive Trying to keep all Orginal Need manifolds Also same with this boat Anybody have a similar boat? Seems like a wild ride just prop and rudder Thanks Brian

BigGrizzly
12-18-2006, 08:47 AM
Ryan23 has aspitfirewith the origional Volvo 280 drives and LT1 350s , we areinthe processofpropingitcorrectly with modern props. the propsI have provided give him the best performance but we need to go smaller pitch to get a little more top performance. Right now he is in the low 50swith the TRS and a couple of good props you may acheive the same. You can also look at performance of the of a comperable magnum. This boat isn't fast by today's standards but it is a good ride. As for the 427 V drive, its the same setup that is in John and Kathy Sabis Corsican (LBJboat) His is all original andhe will probably keep it that way except unless he puts a blower on it like he did WALO.

olredalert
12-18-2006, 07:10 PM
-----Brian,,, I have a 24 El Pescador which is the same hull as your Spitfire. When I restored it I re-powered it with two new 2-barrel 350 Mercruiser/Alpha packages. Yours is the second Spitfire I have found out about with TRS twin drives when delivered. The other boat is now powered with big-blocks. I have never seen that boat run so I have no specs on it, but my own bone stock Alpha set-up runs 64 mph trimmed at right around 4700/4800 rpm. With the drives tucked all the way in the boat runs along about 55 mph. I might be wrong but I dont think Ryans Spitfire has trim on his Volvos and without trim the top end of the Spitfire hull will suffer. It just has too much wetted hull.
-----Give us more info (history, etc.) and pics of your boat when you can. We just dont hear about many Spitfires around here.........Bill S

MR MAGOO
12-19-2006, 01:36 AM
A buddy of mine has a 24 Spitfire that was re-rigged back in the 80's with a pair of Merc 320 EFI's with Alpha SS drives on Land & Sea Sternjacks. It's a real sweet handling hull that runs with very little wetted surface when trimmed out. He's running low 70's. Post pics!

Kurt

boldts
12-19-2006, 09:10 AM
A buddy of mine has a 24 Spitfire that was re-rigged back in the 80's with a pair of Merc 320 EFI's with Alpha SS drives on Land & Sea Sternjacks. It's a real sweet handling hull that runs with very little wetted surface when trimmed out. He's running low 70's. Post pics!
Kurt

Kurt, got any pics of your buddy's Spitfire also? Between the Twin GT-21 and the Spitfire, they are my favorite Donzi models for the size. Humm, maybe I should refraze that since I'd love any Donzi at this point in my life. LOL Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Brian Becker
12-19-2006, 08:09 PM
Heres some pics of boat

Brian Becker
12-19-2006, 08:23 PM
Boats next state over I will get the hull # next time over there when I pick up drivetrain

Brian Becker
12-19-2006, 08:42 PM
Can only load three at a time Boat still org gelcoat

Brian Becker
12-19-2006, 08:56 PM
Could this be a sprit? Im going by pictures in model listing was told its a 74 that would be sprit if going by model history Can anyone set this straight? Theres no pic of a sprit Thanks Brian

Brian Becker
12-19-2006, 09:55 PM
A few more

superhatz
12-20-2006, 02:14 AM
Could this be a sprit? Im going by pictures in model listing was told its a 74 that would be sprit if going by model history Can anyone set this straight? Theres no pic of a sprit Thanks Brian

Spitfire....for sure.

Cool boat.......candy stripe interior would be sweet!

Keep us posted....:)

BERTRAM BOY
12-20-2006, 07:58 PM
I'd love to come by and check out your boats in person......."I'll show you mine if you show me yours".....

BERTRAM BOY

Brian Becker
12-20-2006, 10:07 PM
Sure anyone who wants to can take a look at the boats There pretty neat toys even though they need work its neat to see old hot rods from the past phone # is 860 267 7830 Brian

Dregsz
12-21-2006, 05:13 PM
My wife would shoot me if I put that in Front of the house, round back would be ok...
I found a 24 Doral here locally last year and it had very cool, molded fiberglass seats. It was a total wreck though no motors or drives and had brown Gelcoat.. I thought about pulling the deck out and making it into a pascador...
This boat looks like it's worth building.
How will you deal w the rear stringers underneath that molded glass bilge floor?

E

Brian Becker
12-21-2006, 06:56 PM
Boat was surprisingly solid As I said it was in inside storage for the last 15 years As for repairs Thats the love of an old project , just get it done This also has new motors , drives all cleaned rebuilt, trannys rebuilt trailer all redone Thinking about 383s for it at 400 to 425 hp each Also has real funky early k_planes Also has early stradle mounts for motors Thinking about thru hull exhaust as its now over the transom Leave interior org Brian

DAULEY
12-22-2006, 08:13 AM
did you get the boat from a women named susan in illinois

Brian Becker
12-22-2006, 07:48 PM
No boat is in Rhode Island

elramone
03-22-2007, 02:07 AM
Hello Brian;
Nice boat for sure. I have one also I have been working on and can offer you some advice with regards to hull. I have also talked to the designer of this vessel. I dont know if spelling is correct but its Harry Chisholm. He gave me some tips before I started. I modded mine some to beef it up cause I wanted it rat infested. Anyways...mine can be seen now at http://www.viciousmarine.com/ under restorations. It originally came as a single with a old #3 speedmaster. It was in Tennessee and the guy who owned it apparently cracked the big block in (winter) it the first season and never repaired...it had 98 hours on it. After sitting a decade or better in the field, I wanted to recore all of it though. I did drive to NY to drive/buy another Spitfire with duals before ....and it rides NICE. I personally think mine is a little too overpowered for the rounded bottom, but you know the thing with Donzi's...enough is never enough...so I went for it. Anyways..I just wanted to say hello...and its exciting to see one in the works again...not too many of these left huh. Also, since I modded some I may have some extra vint parts. I see your deck had the pull/safety line. Have a great one....Ray.

Lenny
03-22-2007, 04:12 AM
Nice,... :) http://www.viciousmarine.com/vicious%20home_018.com