PDA

View Full Version : K & N air cleaner ??

8-ball
12-17-2006, 03:21 PM
Yikes, its me again-----is there any benefit to removing the "steel pancake stack" air filter on my 4.3 and running a K&N air filter kit on top of my 2 bbl. ??? Can i run the K & N without re-attaching the large mercruiser plastic carb cover and wingnut ?? ( '97 Sweet 16 ) --- thank you, appreciate your input guys. ----- 8-ball--if you're behind me ---blah, blah, blah

Sam
12-18-2006, 05:11 PM
Probably not, most folks that see any gains are very modest at best. Just to be sure though hook up a vacuum gauge to your motor and see where the numbers fall at WOT. They should be at or near zero, if not take the current air cleaner off and try it again. If you see the numbers go down then you might be able to justify the K&N.

Sam

Pismo
12-18-2006, 05:17 PM
My 502 at 5000ish rpm (ie sucking huge air) had 0 performance gain switching to a KN. 75.5 mph exactly GPS before and 75.5 mph GPS 10 minutes later with a new K&N. I guess they work with even more flow but not at a 502 at 5000rpm. So a 4.3 at 4500ish, no chance. Instead Get a 4 bbl carb and a new intake to see a quick and cheap 20-30hp.

DonziJon
12-19-2006, 09:43 AM
Unless I'm mistaken, that "steel pancake air cleaner" is NOT an aircleaner but a "Flame Arrester" designed to stop the flames from a backfire from coming out of the carb and blowing up the boat if there happens to be any gasoline fumes in the engine room. It may also be against Coast Guard regulations to run without the flame arrester in place, but I could be wrong.

Maybe if the carb gets its air Exclusively from the outside through a "Scoop" in the hatch it might be a different story. John

PS: Merry Christmas All.

Sam
12-19-2006, 10:11 AM
Yes you are correct, it keeps the flame issue in check but it also keeps any crud from getting in the carb. I wouldn't run full time with out one but for a quick vacum test..............ahhh go for it :wink: .

Cuda
12-19-2006, 04:20 PM
K&N's suck. I have them on my Formula, they are too soft. When trying to attach the breather hoses, it always wants to collapse.

Sam
12-19-2006, 07:50 PM
Hmmmm ? never had that problem :confused: .

b.guggenmos
12-19-2006, 09:17 PM
I agree with K&N sucks. If you do some internet research of independent studies you will probably find that a K&N is one of the worst filters for removing dirt. Not an issue on a boat but it is on your tow vehicle. If you watch there ads you will notice that they brag up the horsepower increase but not the ability to better clean the air. I would prefer filtered air in my own engine. A clean quality paper filter is much better in my personal opinion than a K&N. Brian

Cuda
12-19-2006, 09:36 PM
Hmmmm ? never had that problem :confused: .
You might be able to see in this picture what I mean. Look at the bottom where the breather tube attaches. You can see how it pushes in. It's a real pita to get both sides on fairly straight. I'll take a Gaffrig anyday.

Sam
12-19-2006, 10:00 PM
Gotcha Cuda ! Have you tried using a softer more flexible hose......just a thought :bonk: .

Carl C
12-20-2006, 07:51 AM
I put a K&N filter on my Banshee ATV and had to blow out the carbs after nearly every ride. The idle air circuits would get clogged with dirt and it wouldn't idle, even if it was freshly oiled. I went back to a dual layer foam filter.

mikev
12-20-2006, 10:32 AM
I am lazy its a pain in the butt to clean and oil a filter it is so much easier to throw out one and pop in a new one. On my 4.3 when i went to a 4 barrell i got a arrestor from eddie marine just pull it off hose it out and put it back once or twice a summer.