PDA

View Full Version : Prayers For Donziweasel

Patti
12-16-2006, 01:09 PM
A good friend of mine from here , Donziweasel emailed me to tell me that he was heading to Atlanta because his mom needs triple bypass surgery and has taken a turn for the worse.

Please keep John, his mom and his family in your thoughts and prayers..

Thanks! :)

BGH18
12-16-2006, 03:46 PM
DW, hope all goes well for your mother.

mikev
12-16-2006, 03:47 PM
Hey we are praying for you guys and if you need anything while in Atlanta let me know we are here for you.

Donziweasel
12-16-2006, 05:06 PM
Thanks eveyone for your support, I can not tell you how much it means to me. I did not tell Patti everything as I was very upset this morning. Basically this is what happened. Last Saturday she had a heart attack at Cosco in Atlanta. She was not breathing and had no heart beat. They used a defibrilator and got her heart pumping again. When she woke up in the hospital, she pulled out all the Iv's and walked out. My brother drove from Charleston SC the next day and talked her into going back to the hospital for tests. She has been in the hospital all week and has had a battery of tests. This morning my brother called my and told me the worse. She has been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and will need insulin for the rest of her life. She also had a stroke two months ago and has had trouble swallowing and breathing. She choked on some chicken at Cosco, and that is why she had the heart attack. The doctors told her she has had 50% of the muscles in her neck paralyzed and will need a feeding tube inserted and will have to feed herself for the rest of her life with this tube. Finally, she has 90% blockage in her arteries and will need triple bypass surgery. She has said she will not have the surgery, will not inject insulin and will not have a feeding tube. She has told my brother she wants to die. I am heading to Altlanta in the morning to try and talk some sense to her. She is only 62. This has been the hardest week of my life and I am kinda a mess right now. I know these boards are probably not meant for these type of conversations, but as I sit here in tears typing, I want all of you to know how much it means to me and my wife that you are thinking about us. I wouldn't have said anything, but thank you Patti. While I appreciate all your thoughts and prayers, please do me a favor, hug your loved ones and tell them how much they mean to you because my mother is a prime example of what can happen in as little as a week, and if she had died last Saturday, I know I would have thought I had not told her enough how much she meant to me and how much I love her. Consider this a Christmas present to Margi and myself. I will try and stay in touch in while in Atlanta. Thanks you all once agian.
John and Margi Pearson

Carl C
12-16-2006, 05:49 PM
Wow, Donziweasel, that's quite a story. Best luck to you and your family. These boards are for sure here to help support members through hard times and you are not the first. I'm not a spokesman for this site but I think I can say that. If you are able to post from Atlanta keep in touch. Best of wishes.

gold-n-rod
12-16-2006, 06:33 PM
John: All of the medical interventions that your mom needs require a lot of buy-in from her. She needs to see the reasons for her to comply. Otherwise, her complacancy will result in death. You will need to provide her with reasons to fight for survival.

I am a heart attack survivor. Seeing the fear in the eyes of my wife and kids was incentive enough for me to change my ways. I hope your mom does the same.

Good wishes.

DAULEY
12-16-2006, 07:26 PM
john
our prayers are with you and your family
bob and bev

WA-LO
12-17-2006, 08:10 AM
John, our prayers out to you and your family.

J-K-S

LKSD
12-17-2006, 08:43 AM
John, our thoughts are with you & your mom.. We hope all get better.. Jamie & Kristin.

MOP
12-17-2006, 09:17 AM
My thoughts and prayer will be with you.

boldts
12-17-2006, 09:36 AM
John, my heart and prayers go out to you, your mother and your family. I, being a type1 Diabetic since the age of 9 often fought the things I needed to do to keep my life going. Luckily, my friends and family would not accept or allow me to just give up on life. It will be very difficult, but be your mom's foundation and support. She needs instilled in her that God isn't ready for her yet. Maybe if you can, take a lap top to the hospital with you and show her how people here who don't even know her can care for a fellow boater, friend and offer all their support to you and her. God sent those parimedics through school to be able to perform their job. Your mother is still here because of their training. Now, she is in the hands of more people doing God's will. The doctors and nurses of that hospital. Be strong and just ask if there is anything we can do to help.

Magicallbill
12-17-2006, 06:03 PM
D.Weasel;
I have enjoyed my brief and few 'on-line" convo's with you.
I lost my Mom in '02, so I've been thru it.
Gold-N-Rod had a good outlook;somehow she needs to see the value in going on.
There is never a good time to be ill, but we are in an age of tremendous medical advancements..Keep praying and hoping..We'll all be in touch.

Magicallbill.

Team Jefe
12-18-2006, 07:40 AM
John - Good Luck Amigo. Talking sense into our parents is always hard. no matter what, we are still their children and they don't want to show any weakness.

Stay the course, and don't let her disuade you...it will the the hardest thing you have ever done. If you don't do it, you will regret it later...I know !

Good thoughts as always for teh Donzi Family, and a special little prayer for you.

Vaya Con Dios !

Donziweasel
12-18-2006, 10:10 AM
Thanks again everyone for your support. Been a rough couple of days, but I think she is going to have surgery tommorrow. Trying to keep my spirits up, but haven't had much sleep. She is miserable and all my brother and I can do is try and make her see that it is not her time. I am very touched by all of the responses I have had. Will update if I have time tommorrow. You guys are the best! I am really glad I found the site and can't believe how much you all care about a member that has only been on the boards 3-4 months.

Donziweasel
12-18-2006, 10:11 AM
Thanks again everyone for your support. Been a rough couple of days, but I think she is going to have surgery tommorrow. Trying to keep my spirits up, but haven't had much sleep. She is miserable and all my brother and I can do is try and make her see that it is not her time. I am very touched by all of the responses I have had. Will update if I have time tommorrow. You guys are the best! I am really glad I found the site and can't believe how much you all care about a member that has only been on the boards 3-4 months. This is truelly a special group of people.

catch 22
12-19-2006, 07:54 PM
Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

SurfGreenTele
12-19-2006, 10:29 PM
Prayers sent to you and your family, Donziweasel.

LKSD
12-20-2006, 08:55 AM
Anyone hear any good news yet?? I hope all is well with her surgery..

John, we hope you continue to hold up ok too.. Best wishes to you & your family for the upcoming holidays.. :)Jamie & Kristin

yeller
12-20-2006, 12:40 PM
Reading this thread brought a tear to my eye, thinking of my own mother. I truly hope all turns out well.

Donziweasel
12-20-2006, 01:06 PM
The surgery has been postponed until tommorrow morning at 7:30. She had a partially collapsed lung. I have no idea why. The doctors here at Peidmont Hospital are not very good at communicating. I know it is a good hospital, but there are 5-6 doctors treating her and sometimes it seems that the right hand does not know what the left is doing. I get up, go to the hospital all day, go to my dads and pass out. I never knew mental fatigue could make you more tired than physicall activity. Although I sleep 8-9 hours a night, it is not good sleep and I am tired all the time. I have to go back to Wyoming on Friday, but will be going back and forth to Atlanta a good bit in the months to come. Running into another problem, my mom does not have health insurance. We tried for years to get her on it, but she just refused stating "when god is ready for me, he will come take me". I know the hospital is not happy, but they can not discharge her or refuse treatment. Not good though. I have been told by her freinds and family that me being here has done amazing things for her outlook and attitude. Considering there is not much more I can do except sit by her bed, I am glad that something I am doing is having a positive effect. Here blood sugar levels have been stabil, better than when she came in. Normal is 70-110, she was over 400 when admitted but now is routinly between 114 and 220. While she accepts she had a heart attack, she still does not believe she has daibetes. There has been some good news though. They have said if she sticks with physical therapy on her neck, then the feeding tube should be in for only 2-3 months. They have also said that after 2-3 months, she could control her diabetes with diet alone and might not have to take the insulin. In other words, with serious rehab and work, she could live a fairly normal life but she will have to watch her diet and exercise. I think she has had diabetes for a while and when the body is not healthy, the mind is not going to be much better off. Hopefully as her blood sugar stabilises and she gets the operation, her mental outlook will improve. I have been sneaking to the library here at the hospital where they have internet and looking at this post. Although I have been looking everyday, I have not been posting as I just don't have a lot to say, but I always feel better after reading what you all have been posting. Thank you all once agian and hopefully one day if you are in need I can return the favor.
John Pearson

Carl C
12-20-2006, 01:11 PM
Thanks for taking the time to keep us informed. I think this will be a Christmas you will not forget but would like to. Best wishes for you and your mother.

BUIZILLA
12-20-2006, 01:29 PM
John, my uncle is a world renowned Thoracic surgeon if you need more help... he's in Leesburg, Fla. The FAA goes to him for advice...

JH

BigGrizzly
12-20-2006, 04:57 PM
I live in the area and beleive me if heart is the problem this is the place to be! If you need local help call me 770-318-1136

Donziweasel
12-22-2006, 02:49 PM
The surgery went great. She had 5 bypasses, I am not even sure what that is called. Quintuple Bypass surgery perhaps? I am back in Wyoming and my brother and her sister are taking care of her for now. I will be going back on January 5th for a while. Hopefully this will be the catalyst that makes her live a healthier life. Thanks everyone and Merry Christmas.:)

LKSD
12-22-2006, 05:40 PM
Yes good to hear the surgery went well.. Happy holidays.. :) J & K

Brian Becker
12-22-2006, 08:01 PM
Good luck in all your actions My prayers are with you Brian

DonziChris
12-22-2006, 08:14 PM
John good luck and God bless. You are in my prayers