PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a used Bravo Gimbal Housing

DON-Z-26ZX
12-16-2006, 11:59 AM
While disassebling my transom assy to have my ring repaired. The mechanic discovered alot of corrision around the seal/bushing area. He has told me that this will not allow it to seal properly & has suggested a complete new transom assy. I'm not ready to go to that extreme, everything else is fine. So, I'm in search of a gimbal housing, anyone have or know of one for sale, I would greatly appreciate the info. After looking at it, I did have to wonder, why can't it be repaired, it's just corrision, & it looks as if it could be built back up & remachined. Has anyone heard of a machine shop doing this repair?

gcarter
12-16-2006, 02:06 PM
Good luck finding one. I've been doing a daily search on eBay for months and only seen one or two.
I did have my Alpha housing welded up and ground to fit. It can be done.
Look around your local area. You may have to find a welding shop and then a machine shop.
While it's for a boat, it's all just metal!:wink:

DON-Z-26ZX
12-16-2006, 08:24 PM
I'm beginning to see that, plenty of Alpha's, but no luck on a Bravo. I am planning on taking it to a machine shop to see if there is anything they can do for me. I have to at least try...Thanks

Donzigo
12-17-2006, 07:33 AM
There is a lot of stress placed on this housing. Do you really want to chance it holding with a machine shop repair?

I can't remember this ever being done...........

DON-Z-26ZX
12-17-2006, 07:59 AM
The part I'm looking to have machined is the seal area for the steering pin. It has corrision that looks as if it may prevent proper sealing. Do you think this area would cause future troubles from being machined? Any input is greatly appreciated.

gcarter
12-17-2006, 09:05 AM
I can't remember this ever being done...........
This is my quote from above Richard;
"I did have my Alpha housing welded up and ground to fit. It can be done.
Look around your local area. You may have to find a welding shop and then a machine shop.
While it's for a boat, it's all just metal!"

gcarter
12-25-2006, 05:39 PM
Here's a picture of the inside of the welded, ground gimbal housing and right after I refinished the the paint. If you're curious, the corosion was in the area below the large upper stbd stud. It has been very successful.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4150&d=1088631161

Brian Becker
12-25-2006, 10:06 PM
Ebay 330065534361 complete setups has 2 In NY

Donzigo
12-26-2006, 11:14 AM
.............should have known if it could and has been done, George Carter would have it nailed. Nice going, George. OK, so maybe the moons of Jupiter lined up for George...........LOL.