PDA

View Full Version : Pro Charger install complete...

Last Real Texan
12-14-2006, 08:35 PM
Well after about 3-4 full days of monkey"n with this thing it is done....All I am waiting for is the computer to come back from Mark @ precision and install that and then fire it up. Thr testing will wait for the week after X mas when I get the guage pods in for the boost and fuel pressure, gauges are already wired and ready to go just need to mount them on the top of the dash...
All in all not a bad install really, but there are a few bugs in the install that are kind of hard standing on my head in the bilge turning a left handed monkey wrench with my right hand. For instance...the fuel plate on the bottom of the motor would be much better situated in another location for acces in the future. Also the plate that you attach the filter to with the bypass regulater on it do not fit to well and it takes quit a bit of finess to get the nuts on the bottom of the plate started to get it right. As for the intercooler mounting flanges. They need to be bigger....Ask Big green about this too , bolts are a bitch to get to ....I mounted it to the fire wall in the front of the motor with SS lag bolts...good thing I meassured the depth of the bolts penetration before drilling...on the lower half of the fire wall that is glassed in the fuel tank is on the other side....the bulkhead is only 3/4-1 inch thick in this area and fortunatly there is about 1-1.5 inches of foam between it and tha tank...,make sense? Close call her because I originally thought the biulkhead would be at least 1.5 inches thick here and had originally decided to use 1.5 inch lags here to secure the intercooler on the bottom bolts of the flange...ended up using 1 inch laga and was able to through bolt it up on the to hapf of the bulkhead...nice and secure, The way I routed it I have two 10 inch runs of pipe and the intercooler, pretty clean install I think.
I am missing one blue 90 degree boot that was short in my order , actually I thought I could use a 45 at one point but it did not work and have sent it back and have another on the way...they look much better color wise than in the pictures....they actually match pretty well. Also the wiring diagram is very vague for the fuel pump and the relay but I am sure I have it right. I am going to hold off on changing the oil until I get it dialed in ....incase of washing the cylinders down with rich condition...I just changed it less than 5 hours ago....
Really hoping this thing work out well and there is nothing wrong with the kit I bought used.....I preassure checked the intercooler and the supercharger head seemed fine...clean oil and smooth action....Chnaged the oil in it to fresh stuff from ATI. Looking forward to getting thid this thing on the water and dialed in for the spring. Thanks for all of the help answer ?'s before this project....Hope it al works out well in the end....
Bryan

The Hedgehog
12-14-2006, 08:54 PM
Your set up is bad ass. The best looking Procharged 500 hp I have seen. You will have one of the fastest 27 ZX's around. I will need about 850hp and an Arneson to hang! Very jealous!

You should smash 80!

p729lws
12-14-2006, 10:29 PM
That's a sweet looking set up Bryan:yes: I have Mark going though my motor now. I need to call him and see how its going.

Dan

LKSD
12-15-2006, 06:03 PM
Looks good! :) jamie

BigGrizzly
12-15-2006, 08:43 PM
Very nice and clean install, you should be proud!

Last Real Texan
12-16-2006, 05:55 PM
thanks for the words of encouragement....Lets hope it holds together ( thhe motor) and the set up performs well. Will post some info as it comes in......hopefully next week.

Thanks
Bryan

The Hedgehog
12-17-2006, 07:43 PM
Keep me in the loop. I think you will have one bad ass 27ZX.

I took the Big Green out today. 75+ degrees.

p729lws
12-20-2006, 11:00 AM
Bryan,
Did you get your computer back from Mark at Precision? I spoke with him Monday and he was finishing up a couple 1200 HP motors for a 44' MTI that's headed to Miami for the boat show:cool:
Dan

Last Real Texan
12-20-2006, 04:52 PM
Bryan,
Did you get your computer back from Mark at Precision? I spoke with him Monday and he was finishing up a couple 1200 HP motors for a 44' MTI that's headed to Miami for the boat show:cool:
Dan

Sure did but have not fired it up yet....looking forward to it.

Bryan

Budmann
12-20-2006, 06:36 PM
Nice Job!!!! I am testing mine tomorrow!! To much stuff to do to get ready for Santa!!:) :wink: :wink: :) :) :) :frown: :frown: :frown:

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
12-22-2006, 10:55 AM
Very nice and CONGRATS, it looks great.
For a boat club with 90+ boats we only have one Pro Charger application.
A 2000 38 Cig with 500's as yours are.
I will say this, the mid range acceleration is like nothing I have ever experienced! Awesome.

Best of luck with her.
Bryan Tuvell

Air 22
12-24-2006, 10:51 AM
Bryan....The install looks fantastic..Nice Job. I'm considering the same (Pro-Charger)for my New 502(carb) sometime down the road. We'll have to swap info/ideas etc...again your install looks great.:wink: ..looking fwd to hearing your new numbers... :yes:

Last Real Texan
12-24-2006, 03:05 PM
Bryan....The install looks fantastic..Nice Job. I'm considering the same (Pro-Charger)for my New 502(carb) sometime down the road. We'll have to swap info/ideas etc...again your install looks great.:wink: ..looking fwd to hearing your new numbers... :yes:

If you are considering this install you should Talk to Big Gren ZX ....He has one installed on his 502 mag.....much cleaner install than mine since the intercooler mouns to the air intake itself, very happy he is with his system....his is why I decided to install one also.... his MId-range accel is awesome....Drop him a line.

Bryan

The Hedgehog
12-25-2006, 06:43 PM

Instant 10+mph! I have a 502 MPI. I would like to see someone do a carb application. Using one of Rtech's big intercooler boxes would be the way to go. I am very happy with mine. As LRT says, the midrange acceleration is great.

Dr. Dan
12-27-2006, 05:31 PM
Instant 10+mph! I have a 502 MPI. I would like to see someone do a carb application. Using one of Rtech's big intercooler boxes would be the way to go. I am very happy with mine. As LRT says, the midrange acceleration is great.

I am curious as well about those RTech Units...they look pretty serious... I wonder if it would fit under my hatch? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm? Maybe Todd wouldn't see it and I can blame my 95mph speed on an incredibly efficient prop... yep that's it...:spongebob

Anyone have any real life knowledge of actual R Techs installed and any numbers?

Doc of Eventual Slow Boat Speed Gain...

LKSD
12-27-2006, 06:06 PM
I am curious as well about those RTech Units...they look pretty serious... I wonder if it would fit under my hatch? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm? Maybe Todd wouldn't see it and I can blame my 95mph speed on an incredibly efficient prop... yep that's it...:spongebob
Anyone have any real life knowledge of actual R Techs installed and any numbers?
Doc of Eventual Slow Boat Speed Gain...

Dan, I am not sure of how noticable they are in every application. There flow thru their intercoolers is a tad bit better due to their design compared to the others out there. The problem is not everyone has the space for one of them.. We are dealers for Rtech, but the respose time IMO has not been anywhere near what their competators is. I like places that get back to me promptly.. Their kits are pretty costly.. If you are seriously considering some forced induuction on that blue pill of yours a whipple may be the easiest and most cost effective route.. Other than that a I would have to be leaning to a custom Procharger M3sc set up.. Just my opinion.. How fast do ya really want to go?? :D :) :) You are already pretty damn quick!! :D J

BigGrizzly
12-27-2006, 06:44 PM
I remember their test in the mag. They replaced the cooler on the MI setup, not the M3 setup. GEOO put the bigger cooler from the M3 kit on his boat and also realized a boost increase. Bottom line is if you measure boost in the box and it is 5psi then the only thing that may increase is psi per rpm. When I called them after the article there were more things changed then stated. True their cooler has less restriction, but what is the price worth. Procharger puts a complete kit together with the MI or M3 setup that is tried and true. To gain one mph you need to add about 20+ reliable ponies(Clydesdale type) and for me it isn't worth it. To me I would rather put the money into good dyno tuning and props. I am a little anal when it comes to how an enginre runs not just how fast. Never use a tractor trailer if a mini van will haul all your stuff.

LKSD
12-27-2006, 07:02 PM
I remember their test in the mag. They replaced the cooler on the MI setup, not the M3 setup. GEOO put the bigger cooler from the M3 kit on his boat and also realized a boost increase. Bottom line is if you measure boost in the box and it is 5psi then the only thing that may increase is psi per rpm. When I called them after the article there were more things changed then stated. True their cooler has less restriction, but what is the price worth. Procharger puts a complete kit together with the MI or M3 setup that is tried and true. To gain one mph you need to add about 20+ reliable ponies(Clydesdale type) and for me it isn't worth it. To me I would rather put the money into good dyno tuning and props. I am a little anal when it comes to how an enginre runs not just how fast. Never use a tractor trailer if a mini van will haul all your stuff.

Griz, Id agree with you.. Like I said I am an Rtech dealer as well as the other stuff, but they IMO would be the last unit I would ever go with at this point.. While there ads are true to a point it is still a bit more hype than hp... I think Procharger's set up is more tried & true as well, not to mention easier on the wallet too.. :) I think the other good option would be a whipple..

Below is the last pricing I have on them.. BTW they are basically a stock Vortech marien supercharger with thier own intercooler.. Vortech's marine customer service has been weak to date in my opinion by the way... :) Jamie / Lakeside

2006 pricing before installs and S&H..

Rtech CARB complete BBC under hatch system $9576

Rtech EFI BBC underhatch kit $10665 Polish + $11,115

Rtech 500 EFI / 800hp $10,220 / polished $11,115

Rtech 525 EFI / 875hp Rtech kit $14,747 Polish + $935

BigGrizzly
12-28-2006, 08:48 AM
There you go boys and girls, the price list has spoken, thanks Jamie, sounds like more dollars than HP. none of the engine guys around here don't use them. When I called them the story changed in the middle of the conversation. I will admit the unit looks good by itself. However on the engine, the engine looks like a beautiful girl with bad make up.

The Hedgehog
12-28-2006, 09:01 AM
Makes me feel pretty sporty about the $5k I spent with Jamie last year on the M-3! With the additional money I saved over the RTech system I can take mine out when it comes to freshen time and be a long way towards building a monster that is tuned on the dyno!

LKSD
12-28-2006, 10:36 AM
:) :yes:

Air 22
12-30-2006, 10:32 PM
Jamie...What items if any need relocation on my NEW 502 for the M-1 procharger system? The powersteering resevior and oil filter are mounted on the port-side on the engine. The oil filter is on a bracket that is welded to the Stainless Riser. Maybe a pic will help? :bonk: See below...
Also my impeller unit (Sea pump) is combined w/ my fuel pump that runs off my main crank pulley. I suspect an electric fuel pump(in procharger kit??) is needed?? My carb is a new Holly 800. Ignition is (new) but stock so an upgrade there also if necessary? I'm looking at the M-1 3-5psi polished system 500-600hp.
Any suggestions are appreciated....thanks Dwight...aka..Flyboy..:wink:

LKSD
12-31-2006, 12:26 AM
Jamie...What items if any need relocation on my NEW 502 for the M-1 procharger system? The powersteering resevior and oil filter are mounted on the port-side on the engine. The oil filter is on a bracket that is welded to the Stainless Riser. Maybe a pic will help? :bonk: See below...
Also my impeller unit (Sea pump) is combined w/ my fuel pump that runs off my main crank pulley. I suspect an electric fuel pump(in procharger kit??) is needed?? My carb is a new Holly 800. Ignition is (new) but stock so an upgrade there also if necessary? I'm looking at the M-1 3-5psi polished system 500-600hp.

Dwight,
Your fancy flame arrestor will go, Its a shame too. All that bling looks good in there.. :) The carb can be possibly be reused, as long as it is a mechanical secondary. However the floats should be changed out & probably have the carb rejetted.. I believe you can run the stock fuel pump on the lower boost smaller hp applications. After that you will need an electric pump / competition fuel system. The oil filter usually is relocated & If memory serves me correctly the SM exhaust systems may not leave the room needed for the Sc install. I'd have to try to double check thru my info. You also will definitley want the intercooled system.. BTW, how much room is left between the hatch and your flame arrestor?? If you have more questions post em or give me a shout after the holiday.. :) Happy new year.. :) Jamie / Lakeside 570-639-2628

The Hedgehog
12-31-2006, 12:43 AM

Why do you want the M-1 vs a nice big cool running M-3? It is space?

Air 22
12-31-2006, 08:44 AM
Dwight,
Your fancy flame arrestor will go, Its a shame too. All that bling looks good in there.. :) The carb can be possibly be reused, as long as it is a mechanical secondary. However the floats should be changed out & probably have the carb rejetted.. I believe you can run the stock fuel pump on the lower boost smaller hp applications. After that you will need an electric pump / competition fuel system. The oil filter usually is relocated & If memory serves me correctly the SM exhaust systems may not leave the room needed for the Sc install. I'd have to try to double check thru my info. You also will definitley want the intercooled system.. BTW, how much room is left between the hatch and your flame arrestor?? If you have more questions post em or give me a shout after the holiday.. :) Happy new year.. :) Jamie / Lakeside 570-639-2628

Jamie...When the hatch is closed there still 2-3inches of clearance between the hatch and flame arrestor. Yes,:yes: i'd like the intercooled system.. From some pic's i've seen the powersteering reseviors are mounted on the starbord side of the eng block thus room for the Sc unit. I believe a relocation here is also needed?:bonk:

BTW....Happy NEW YEAR !!!!:wink: :yes::beer:

Air 22
12-31-2006, 08:55 AM
Why do you want the M-1 vs a nice big cool running M-3? It is space?

Big Green.... Are more eng mod's required for the M-3? I'd like to keep it simple w/ a new eng and all. The 3-5 psi HP increase is all i'm looking for w/ my stock 502....I just wanna run 78-80 if possible. Currently, I'm 72-73 on gps. If I wanna go faster...then I just go to work.....:wink:
Your idea's are appreciated...thanks:wink:

LKSD
12-31-2006, 08:58 AM
You can run the same boost with an M3, it just has more "potential" and will boost sligtly cooler due to its more effeicent opertation & bigger intercooler over the M1..

Yes some of the PS stuff needs to be moved at times. The last one I just put on a 502mpi got moved down on the port side and the oil filter bracket moved to the side. That was an MPI Mag though.. I will have to check my book to see on the cab model.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

BigGrizzly
12-31-2006, 09:15 AM
Dwite, both the MI and M3 are durable, However the M3 is bigger all around and does run slower rpms(boost is still the same) therefore runs cooler as Green said. The way you drive and take care of your boat either will last, baring unforeseen mishaps. Carb will have to be re jetted and maybe a larger one?( mine is a 825 with 4.7 psi), just don't go crazy or idle will suffer! As Jamie said mechanical secondaries are a must, no vacuum in the box. I'm up in the air on the fuel pump. I would hate to run short on fuel at higher RPMs. Three seconds is all it takes to seize a piston. The electric pump return line can be run around the pump, not necessary to plumb a separate line to the tank, but is recommended for extended idle due to fuel temperatures however I don't have a return line to the tank on mine. I don't think you have a hole in the block to mount a bigger mechanical pump, because yours is the water pump fuel pump combo, so a mechanical pump won't work. Oh one more thing, I run an air filter on mine and I suggest you do to, it doesn't affect boost until after 10 psi. My engine isn't pretty like yours. With the closed cooling and air filter, but it is well over 400 hours old. I know you could fix that issue too. Good luck, we can help you prop it too. I have all the latest stuff!

The Hedgehog
12-31-2006, 10:32 AM
Big Green.... Are more eng mod's required for the M-3? I'd like to keep it simple w/ a new eng and all. The 3-5 psi HP increase is all i'm looking for w/ my stock 502....I just wanna run 78-80 if possible. Currently, I'm 72-73 on gps. If I wanna go faster...then I just go to work.....:wink:
Your idea's are appreciated...thanks:wink:

Not sure in your case. Jamie is in the loop and he will know. I have the 502 mag MPI and do not have a space prob but I have a nice large engine compartment. Another thing is that the M-3 comes with a larger intercooler. The bigger blower/intercooler combo adds to more safety at the same boost levels. I don't recall the expense being that much more.

Yes, 5 PSI should step you right smartly into the 80+ range with a 502. In regards to setup and propping you are already talking to the right folks. I bought my blower setup from Jamie he was a big help with the install process. He maintained great communication with both my mechanic and myself during the whole process. I also know that Griz has built a solid procharged/carb setup and has spent some time on the dyno tuning it. He also knows his props. I will be working with him this spring when it comes time to re-prop and dial in my 16 and probably re-dial my 27.

You will not do better than dealing with the folks on this board when it comes time to do some mods on your Donzi.

Air 22
12-31-2006, 02:18 PM
Dwite, both the MI and M3 are durable, However the M3 is bigger all around and does run slower rpms(boost is still the same) therefore runs cooler as Green said. The way you drive and take care of your boat either will last, baring unforeseen mishaps. Carb will have to be re jetted and maybe a larger one?( mine is a 825 with 4.7 psi), just don't go crazy or idle will suffer! As Jamie said mechanical secondaries are a must, no vacuum in the box. I'm up in the air on the fuel pump. I would hate to run short on fuel at higher RPMs. Three seconds is all it takes to seize a piston. The electric pump return line can be run around the pump, not necessary to plumb a separate line to the tank, but is recommended for extended idle due to fuel temperatures however I don't have a return line to the tank on mine. I don't think you have a hole in the block to mount a bigger mechanical pump, because yours is the water pump fuel pump combo, so a mechanical pump won't work. Oh one more thing, I run an air filter on mine and I suggest you do to, it doesn't affect boost until after 10 psi. My engine isn't pretty like yours. With the closed cooling and air filter, but it is well over 400 hours old. I know you could fix that issue too. Good luck, we can help you prop it too. I have all the latest stuff!

Grizz...I think the M-1 will be fine......I'd like to keep my current fuel sys set-up if possible. I'm trying to make this as simple as possible and not go crazy...I have no interest in huge mod's just more head-aches down the road. 3-5psi is all i'm looking for:wink: and oh yeah a bigger prop at some point...maybe a 27 or 28 4blade Turbo?:yes: I need to gather info... calculate costs etc. There is ALWAYS something that comes up unexpected in these installs:bonk: Thanks for your help...I'm sure I'll b calling on you when I start this project.....:wink::yes:

Air 22
12-31-2006, 02:22 PM
You can run the same boost with an M3, it just has more "potential" and will boost sligtly cooler due to its more effeicent opertation & bigger intercooler over the M1..
Yes some of the PS stuff needs to be moved at times. The last one I just put on a 502mpi got moved down on the port side and the oil filter bracket moved to the side. That was an MPI Mag though.. I will have to check my book to see on the cab model.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

Jamie....let me know what you find out these re-locations questions...thanks Dwight

BigGrizzly
12-31-2006, 02:51 PM
Remember with every pound of boost in the box you need to increase fuel pressure an additional pound, or fuel pressure will drop. In other words if you run no boost at idle fuel pressure is 7psi at full bore and 5psi of boost fuel pressure needs to be 12 psi. Boost is not constant. Injected guys have a more powerful pump and can just turn the fuel pressure up and add bigger injectors. I know you will do it right the first time. Its cheaper that way and will live longer. I already have you prop in stock. The prop is the least of your worries, we can handle that in a heart beat. your only 5 or 6 hours away.

Air 22
12-31-2006, 03:05 PM
Remember with every pound of boost in the box you need to increase fuel pressure an additional pound, or fuel pressure will drop. In other words if you run no boost at idle fuel pressure is 7psi at full bore and 5psi of boost fuel pressure needs to be 12 psi. Boost is not constant. Injected guys have a more powerful pump and can just turn the fuel pressure up and add bigger injectors. I know you will do it right the first time. Its cheaper that way and will live longer. I already have you prop in stock. The prop is the least of your worries, we can handle that in a heart beat. your only 5 or 6 hours away.

In your opinion will my stock fuel pump be enough for the M-1 system? 3-5psi? :bonk: I can have the Holly 800carb adjusted accordingly!

BigGrizzly
01-01-2007, 09:45 AM
In my opinion with a 502 and a 800cfm I don't think 5psi pump is enough. 4->5 psi in the box will stop the 3->5 psi of fuel pressure from the pump. That mechanical pump is unregulated and will only put out X psi pressure. Since the float bowls are vented into the box, boost pressure directly influences fuel pressure to to the carb. The pump outside the box verses carb in the box. The suck through doesn't have this issue( another discussion). Example that a pilot can understand. My engine can use 310+ lbs of fuel an hour at WFO. How long do you think 10 oz would last in the float bowl with no pressure! The good part is that until about 8,000 feet elevation the carb in the box is altitude compensating My pump runs a constant 7psi above boost in the box. I have a boost compensation regulator on the pump outlet. It may sound complicated but it really isn't. 12 psi out side the box verses 5psi in the box nets 7 psi of fuel pressure in the box. Volume is another issue. I went over kill on mine. I have 1/2 inch ID fuel line and pickup, because I had 30 feet of AN10 in my basement from my racing engines left over. You won't need that size. I wish you were here, we could sit in the boat in a heated garage and go point for point. You could give me pointer on how to make mine look better. One other minor point 93 octane is a must for safety sake. The next question that most people would ask is "would you do it again?". After all is said and done, yes. The only other option that could change this is the recent development of a 540 cid with +-700 HP that runs on 89 octane fuel that Garry is building. The engine is not quite as docile as mine. Are any of these types of engines for everyone, NO! Just like anything they need care. Knowing you, you would have no problem. Hope this helps you out.

BigGrizzly
01-01-2007, 11:45 AM
Poodle, no the bung was large enough to tap the 1/2 NPT and put it in, just remember the pick up is welded in the bung and drops in the tank but easy to pull out through the fuel sending unit hole. Grease the drill flutes and tap threads to catch the chips. The tank was empty and I pressurized it with 10 psi to blow chips out the hole. worked well. The rest pf the chips came out with water pump grease and a stick. My pickup is welded in the NPT/AN10 adapter angle, not in the bung. the pickup in my tank was bigger than the fuel line. I might been able to get away with out it, but with me close doesn't work, as you know. The job was quicker and easier than I though it would be. Measuring the pick up depth after being threaded in was the hard part. The original pickup was 1/4 off the tank bottom cut at an angle, which I reproduced. I did remove inspection plate and ground some under decking to screw the pickup in the tank.

Last Real Texan
01-01-2007, 12:20 PM
What should ther proper step up be on an efi motor?

Example....35 psi @ idle and boost @ 5 lbs is 65 psi WFO

Is the curve linear making things for each pound of boost an increase of 6 psi overall per pound of boost or is it different and on a graduating scale.

So my question could be for each pound of boost how much additional fuel pressure is needed?

1 pound of boost=6psi
2 pounds boost = 12 psi
3 pounds of boost = 18 psi
and so on.......

Bryan

The Hedgehog
01-01-2007, 12:36 PM
You probably have the same fuel pressure regulator setup as mine. It uses a boost reference to increase the fuel pressure. I seem to remember that Procharger has 3 different diaphrams for different levels of boost. They gave me the setup for the 7 lb wheel initially. I seem to remember it peaking around 67psi with a base of 37. Way rich. The 5lb diaphram brought it down to around 55.

I dunno what the answer is for your 500efi. but you can adjust your base by adjusting the hex nut on top. You can start conservative and then lower it as you get plug readings

BUIZILLA
01-01-2007, 12:43 PM
first thing you do is disconnect the vacuum source tube, and check it then, at 0 reference..... it should be about 43#, tube on should be about 35-37#, 6# of boost should put you around 49-50# if the regulator is capable of bias readings, which it MUST be capable of.

JH

Air 22
01-01-2007, 01:26 PM
In my opinion with a 502 and a 800cfm I don't think 5psi pump is enough. 4->5 psi in the box will stop the 3->5 psi of fuel pressure from the pump. That mechanical pump is unregulated and will only put out X psi pressure. Since the float bowls are vented into the box, boost pressure directly influences fuel pressure to to the carb. The pump outside the box verses carb in the box. The suck through doesn't have this issue( another discussion). Example that a pilot can understand. My engine can use 310+ lbs of fuel an hour at WFO. How long do you think 10 oz would last in the float bowl with no pressure! The good part is that until about 8,000 feet elevation the carb in the box is altitude compensating My pump runs a constant 7psi above boost in the box. I have a boost compensation regulator on the pump outlet. It may sound complicated but it really isn't. 12 psi out side the box verses 5psi in the box nets 7 psi of fuel pressure in the box. Volume is another issue. I went over kill on mine. I have 1/2 inch ID fuel line and pickup, because I had 30 feet of AN10 in my basement from my racing engines left over. You won't need that size. I wish you were here, we could sit in the boat in a heated garage and go point for point. You could give me pointer on how to make mine look better. One other minor point 93 octane is a must for safety sake. The next question that most people would ask is "would you do it again?". After all is said and done, yes. The only other option that could change this is the recent development of a 540 cid with +-700 HP that runs on 89 octane fuel that Garry is building. The engine is not quite as docile as mine. Are any of these types of engines for everyone, NO! Just like anything they need care. Knowing you, you would have no problem. Hope this helps you out.

Grizz..Thanks for your input. I guess I need to go to an electric fuel pump set-up to run it correctly? Any suggestions? Is the stock fuel supply line and fuel pick-up adequate or should this be changed as well? I'm not sure what comes w/ these Procharger kits for these little gotcha's....:bonk:
Also the ignition might need attention. Its all new and stock...maybe an MSD sys is needed??
Thanks for the example a pilot can understand...lol:yes: I burn 3200lbs of fuel the first hour. Then it slides proportionatley lower @ 31,000ft to 51,000ft at speed Mach .92:wink: . Traveling a mile every 6 seconds satisfies my need for speed....:yes:

BigGrizzly
01-01-2007, 01:56 PM
I don't know what yours is now, I believe that 600 hp is all i would trust on a stock setup. Of course if you do it now and you decide to go bigger it is done and safe I always try to play it safe. That is w2hy I loaned you two props instead of one. Like a preflight check, I have seen you do your boat before. Good habits, thank god, die hard.

Air 22
01-01-2007, 02:34 PM
I don't know what yours is now, I believe that 600 hp is all i would trust on a stock setup. Of course if you do it now and you decide to go bigger it is done and safe I always try to play it safe. That is w2hy I loaned you two props instead of one. Like a preflight check, I have seen you do your boat before. Good habits, thank god, die hard.

Grizz....3-5 psi is the set-up I want. So the M-1 kit should do it. Any suggestions on type and size Fuel pump? And ignition? everything on the engine is stock...except for the 800 Holly, Flame arrestor, Stainless Marine Manifolds and Risers. HP is 425.... motor has 25 hrs on it so pretty much boken in...:wink:

The Hedgehog
01-01-2007, 04:59 PM
Got forged internals?

LKSD
01-01-2007, 05:21 PM
There are good pumps made by Aeromotive, Holley, Barry grant & Mallory. I usually use Aeromotive or Holley pumps with a good regulator..

BigGrizzly
01-01-2007, 06:10 PM
I don't remember who makes my pump but the boost reference regulator is holley. I should be going to Garry's tomorrow I ask him about the Grant stuff I honestly don't know about that one, or if he even makes it himself. You obviously found a deal on a polished one, that is your MO. like I said I'm close if you have questions, your a friend we go back a couple of years, just do it right.

Air 22
01-01-2007, 08:29 PM
Got forged internals?

Not sure?...does anyone know what internals comes w/ a New stock Merc 502??:eek!: I'll have to ck w my mechanic who did the install..:wink:

LKSD
01-01-2007, 11:42 PM
Not sure?...does anyone know what internals comes w/ a New stock Merc 502??:eek!: I'll have to ck w my mechanic who did the install..:wink:

If you have the zz502 for the base or a merc mag then I believe that they are forged. If it is anything else then I'm not sure.. Where did you get the engine from ??? :) Jamie / Lakeisde

BTW: The PS pump does get moved to the starboard side from what I saw in my drawings in my one file I looked at today.. :)

Air 22
01-02-2007, 08:47 AM
Jamie...The GM502 (415hp) Carb came from Mercruiser directly.:wink:

LKSD
01-02-2007, 08:58 AM
Jamie...The GM502 (415hp) Carb came from Mercruiser directly.:wink:

She should be forged then.. As it would supprise me if it wasn't.. :) Jamie

BigGrizzly
01-02-2007, 09:42 AM
Air, that engine has the forged rods with 7/16 rod bolts and should have the forged crank and four bolt mains and good pistons as well.

LKSD
01-02-2007, 10:02 AM
Air, Looks like ya got the right stuff.. :) jamie

The Hedgehog
01-02-2007, 12:09 PM
You should slap it on and let it rip. I would strongly consider getting a polished kit to go on your beautiful engine. I don't know about the M-1 kit but my M-3 kit came with all of the goodies (relocator brackets, fuel pump, boost reference fuel pressure regulator, block off plate etc) except for the boost and fuel pressure gauges. A cool 5PSI should put you where you want to be. You can always put a bigger pulley on and drop to 3.5 or so if you get scared!

I still think that you should look at the price difference b/t the M-1 and M-3. I don't remember it being that much.

LKSD
01-02-2007, 06:43 PM
:wink: :wink: