PDA

View Full Version : What's your next boat?

Sofa King
12-14-2006, 07:07 PM
I'm leaning towards a Howard 28 deckboat possibly a Magic 30.
I really like the new deckboats and think they are the way to go for the lakes.
Insurance ain't bad either :wink:

Carl C
12-14-2006, 07:34 PM
The west coast deck boats remind me of troop landers:eek!: I'd like to move up to a 27 ZR. With a 525 of course:wink:

Sofa King
12-14-2006, 07:56 PM
All my rowdy friends will be storming a beach head near you :eek!:
Just took out my boat yesterday, about 75 degrees and sunny. Saturday it will be 80 :)
Oh but I really miss the snow :bonk:

Sofa King warm

LKSD
12-15-2006, 05:32 PM
It's looking like a 27zr 525 if all goes well.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

DAULEY
12-15-2006, 08:18 PM
39 squadron by LEGEND PREFORMANCE
in design stages

LKSD
12-15-2006, 10:14 PM
in design stages

I have seen some stuff on thier boats, they look really sharp! Jamie

Sofa King
12-15-2006, 11:12 PM
Forgot to mention the Howard with the TPI 848 EFI :wink:

Sofa King
12-16-2006, 12:50 PM
Carl or anyone, Will the 27 zr with the 525 hit 75 knots?

Sofa King
12-16-2006, 12:54 PM
Excuse me I mean 70 knots, no way 75 knots.

florida gator
12-16-2006, 12:56 PM
Probably a cc for me. I have been looking at the Concept, Scarab Sport, Fountain, Baja and just recently the Donzi 23 ZF.

I would have conseidered the Donzi earlier but I was thinking I wanted 25' - 28'. I was very close to buying a 29' Fountain and still may purchase but I am thinking while the kids are young a smaller boat may be more practical.

I am told the 23 ZF is actually 24'7" which may be worth considering.

LKSD
12-16-2006, 01:27 PM
Excuse me I mean 70 knots, no way 75 knots.

Im not sure that it will grab low 90's.. Althought I could hope. I think the 525 from what I have heard should be low to mid 80's on a GPS.. But you never know fine tuning props & other things always help.. I actually have been thinking of ordering a 27 with the 525. The 496magho version does about 72-73mph. Therefore adding another 100 to 130 hp should get you 10+ mph.. Now I also have heard they are supposedly working on lightening up the hull a little bit. If they do then it may hit mid to high 80's with the 525 & mid to high 70's with the 496magho.. Supposedly They have not made the 525 in that boat yet, but it is available to order now.. If I can swing it & I buy one I will post my speeds.. :) :) Jamie / Lakeside

Sofa King
12-17-2006, 11:34 AM
Would u take a 27zr over a Howard Bullet or a Pantera, both with lifetime hull warranties I might add?

I'm justa askin'
Dre

Sofa King
12-17-2006, 11:35 AM
Both are 28's

LKSD
12-17-2006, 11:47 AM
Would u take a 27zr over a Howard Bullet or a Pantera, both with lifetime hull warranties I might add?
I'm justa askin'
Dre

I like the Donzi line (albeit some of the long term factory service is lets just say not currently like some others).. The 27Zr is the the boat that currently has me the most interested to replace my classic with.

Money aside, my all out preferences are: Donzi, Apache or Chief, Cig & Formula.. Lastly Fountain has a couple of stong points (even though that is not what a lot of people want to hear)..

I have thought about a Howard, their boats have been around but no one is selling them within a day's drive of me that I am aware of.. The Same thing with Pantera. If any were less than 2 days away I maybe would give them a bit more thought. Even though both are good boats with some good buying perks..

Jamie

DAULEY
12-17-2006, 12:02 PM
you might see mid to high 80s with the 525 in thr zr as we are seeing 82.6 gps in fresh water on our 24 legend and it has no steps and is probably heavier than the donzi

LKSD
12-17-2006, 01:11 PM
you might see mid to high 80s with the 525 in thr zr as we are seeing 82.6 gps in fresh water on our 24 legend and it has no steps and is probably heavier than the donzi

The legend is a nice boat, I dont know though if it is as heavy as the 27zr. The Zr has almost 4' on the legend. Even though the 27 has a stepped bottom I dont think it will hit high 80's with the 525, mid maybe if they lighten it up a little. Dont get me wrong, if I end up pulling the trigger on a 525 & I get high 80's I wont be unhappy, thats for sure.. :) jamie / Lakeside

Btw: What engine is in your legend & is yours black?? :)

Sofa King
12-17-2006, 04:55 PM
IMHO, The majority of todays builders are going for the interiors ie. "the sizzle" while taking the quality out of the hulls and trying to dance around the deal by calling the hulls "new space age technology, vacuumed down blah blah blah blah. I feel I get more of a custom boat and better built boat out of a Howard or Pantera than a Donzi which I feel have gone down that commercial road. I don't mind driving 2-4 days to p/u a boat than have to be dry docked while my one or two year old boat is being butchered up for months.
Sorry Carl and all the others, I hope you get your boats back right quick like.

Just my .02
Dre

LKSD
12-17-2006, 05:06 PM
I truly believe Donzi is still a world class powerboat. (otherwise I wouldnt be looking into buying another one).. :D

However as a rule & a custom boat shop owner I think there are MANY companies that can add a little more attention to USEFUL detail & materials.. And that includes the non performance boat manufacturers.

If worse comes to worse, I too will drive a few days for the right boat. I would just rather not have to. Anyone that knows me knows I work very hard & that I get to play very little.. So when the time comes to get the whopping 10-15 hrs of use in my personal boat it has to be 100%... Jamie / Lakeside

Carl C
12-17-2006, 07:59 PM
SK the new deck boats are fast for sure but most are cats. You should check insurance rates first. It sucks about the cracking hulls but mine was caught very early. The latest word is that there may be a mini stringer system glassed in. Donzi is working on it and my boat is waiting for the new repair kit. I've been completely happy with it other than that and would buy a 27 ZR with out second thoughts. Now if we're dreaming here then Outerlimits comes to mind. BTW aren't knots what you tie the lines with?:boat:

Sam
12-19-2006, 10:23 AM
I'll be starting construction of a new 13' class C runabout set up mainly for marathons. Right now the power choice looks like a Yamoto 302 (30hp). I hope to have it complete and running by this summer. I'll need some seat to get the feel for it and then should be ready for my first race in 2008...........or sooner who knows :confused:.

Yeee Haaa :wink:

dclassic
12-19-2006, 10:48 PM
Deck boats are just too practical for my taste. :lookaroun If we upgrade I am really liking the build quality of www.tuffmarine.com and www.progressionboats.com. If we get something other than the Donzi that is where I'd look first. Beautiful lines and exceptional build quality. They run awful dern quick and with no steps. :) The Legend models look very interesting as well. Any details guys??? Ya'll just been teasing with a few pics... :wink: Where is the Legend thread???

zimm17
12-20-2006, 07:11 AM
For a bigger speedboat, I almost bought a Y2K 30' superboat. 7' beam, 4500lbs, and runs 72mph with a 496HO. About $90k new with all the big options: k-planes, trim indicators, race engine mount, sea strainer, external dual ram full hyd steering, and new trailer. The basic boat with 375HP 496 is $62k.

Then I starting thinking twin engine boats are heavier, but cut through slop better, and have more "bite" out of the hull with twin props, handle better around the docks, and have more reliability.

Then I thought about a 31' ZF center console with cuddy cabin. I'm waiting for the Miami boat show in Feb to figure out what I really want next.

DAULEY
12-20-2006, 08:02 AM
The legend is a nice boat, I dont know though if it is as heavy as the 27zr. The Zr has almost 4' on the legend. Even though the 27 has a stepped bottom I dont think it will hit high 80's with the 525, mid maybe if they lighten it up a little. Dont get me wrong, if I end up pulling the trigger on a 525 & I get high 80's I wont be unhappy, thats for sure.. :) jamie / Lakeside
Btw: What engine is in your legend & is yours black?? :)
Jamie our demo boat is black it has a 502 525 hp naturaly asperated motor
weighs in at about4200lbs we are working hard at getting the web site up
we have some great boat show pricing
if interested email me or pm me and ill call you within 24hrs

rustnrot
12-20-2006, 08:53 AM
Currently working this project, Pulse Drive surface drive, Toyota Marine 300 hp DOHC 4.0L ski boat engine. Used to be a jet drive, will be one no more.
Sam, smoothie on here is building a Sid Craft (or something like that) racer.
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m178/rustnrot/Chris%20Craft%20XK18/25c7.jpg
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m178/rustnrot/Chris%20Craft%20XK18/xk18_native01.jpg
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m178/rustnrot/Chris%20Craft%20XK18/prop_on_pulse2.jpg
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m178/rustnrot/Chris%20Craft%20XK18/Copyofeng1.jpg

smoothie
12-20-2006, 08:10 PM
Sam,the helmet cam clip from the DVD was awsome! is there a way to post a small clip from it? how fast was he going when he hit the big body of water? looks like fun to me...The wife and kids said Im not allowed to watch it anymore LOL! thanks! Rick

[QUOTE=Sam;397328]I'll be starting construction of a new 13' class C runabout set up mainly for marathons. Right now the power choice looks like a Yamoto 302 (30hp). I hope to have it complete and running by this summer. I'll need some seat to get the feel for it and then should be ready for my first race in 2008...........or sooner who knows :confused:.
Yeee Haaa :wink:[/QUOTE

LKSD
12-20-2006, 09:16 PM
Jamie our demo boat is black it has a 502 525 hp naturaly asperated motor
weighs in at about4200lbs we are working hard at getting the web site up
we have some great boat show pricing
if interested email me or pm me and ill call you within 24hrs

Dauley, Thanks for the offer but I just pulled the trigger on a new loaded up leftover Zx (I have always been fond of that lineup) that my wife found.. Feel free to give me a shout though some time, Id like to chat with you about your rides anyway, or PM me your # & I will call you a jingle.. :)

Jamie / Lakeside

Sofa King
12-21-2006, 02:41 PM
Just got my quote back from my Allstate agent on a new 07 Howard 28sportdeck with the Merc 600sc insured for $148 g's is $961 year with a 1g deductable.

Not too bad McBean
Sofa King

Carl C
12-21-2006, 08:33 PM
Just got my quote back from my Allstate agent on a new 07 Howard 28sportdeck with the Merc 600sc insured for $148 g's is $961 year with a 1g deductable.
Not too bad McBean
Sofa King Not bad at all. That's a sweet boat you're talkin' about. I hope you get it. :boat:

Sofa King
12-21-2006, 10:07 PM
I'm thinking REALLY hard on it. It pisses me off I can't find a used one anywhere. He only makes 18 a year and he only made 5 with the 600.
I just hate being the first sucker to lose my ass lol but this is my favorite sport deck. If i was on the coasts I would have a deep V fo sho. Could p/u a Warlock used two years old for half the price than get a Z-06:confused:

I'll keep you posted
Dre

LKSD
12-22-2006, 05:45 PM
I pulled the trigger, I just got home with my next boat.. A new leftover 26zx loaded up niceley with factory custom paint.. I will post some pics as soon as I get a chance.. Happy holidays everyone.. :) Jamie

Sofa King
12-22-2006, 07:04 PM
Congrats Jamie!

LKSD
12-22-2006, 07:34 PM
Thanks.. :) J

thriller
12-23-2006, 02:26 AM
Jamie/Kristen

Pics? gotta see the new ride.. I really thought you were going to get the 27ZR

Mike

LKSD
12-23-2006, 08:18 AM
Jamie/Kristen

Pics? gotta see the new ride.. I really thought you were going to get the 27ZR

Mike

I was quite close to ordering a Zr, but I stll like the Zx's + the #,s $$$$ I got on the new leftover Zx were just too good to turn down.. :) I will post some pics when I get her cleaned up & Back to the shop.. She's all dirty from the rainy ride home yesterday (the boat that is, not Kristin. lol...:bonk: )... Jamie

Dr. Dan
12-23-2006, 10:13 AM
:wink: Congrats Jamie... now we just gotta get ya coming to some more Events....Good Luck with the New Ride.

Merry Christmas to You & Kristin

Doc & Liz:wink:

LKSD
12-23-2006, 01:38 PM
:wink: Congrats Jamie... now we just gotta get ya coming to some more Events....Good Luck with the New Ride.
Merry Christmas to You & Kristin
Doc & Liz:wink:

Thanks. I will post pics as soon as I get a chance this weekend. Jamie :wink:

LKSD
12-26-2006, 08:45 PM
I put up some pics in the "what ever you want to talk about" section. Happy new year everybody.. :) Jamie & Kristin / Lakeside

The Hedgehog
12-27-2006, 12:08 PM
I pulled the trigger, I just got home with my next boat.. A new leftover 26zx loaded up niceley with factory custom paint.. I will post some pics as soon as I get a chance.. Happy holidays everyone.. :) Jamie

Congrads on the boat. You will like the ZX. Dominates in the rough and will handle what ever type of mean powerplant you want to run.

LKSD
12-27-2006, 01:06 PM
Congrads on the boat. You will like the ZX. Dominates in the rough and will handle what ever type of mean powerplant you want to run.

Thanks & you are right.. I have actually been in a lot of different Zx's that we have sold. The 33 & 26 are my fav's.. Thats why when Kristin found this one as a left over I grabbed it.. Donzi's stuff in genral is great.. My wife & I just happen to like the ride, layout & characteristics of the zx's.. The 26 is a great platform to build on.. Annother good example of this is Frank Civitano's ride (the 26zx).. I really cant wait to get out & enjoy the boat. Too bad I couldn't still keep the 22c too.. That was the bomb for hitting smaller areas. Im gonna miss it for that stuff.. It was like riding a sport bike, It's just too bad there is'nt more space in them.... :) Jamie

The Hedgehog
12-28-2006, 12:18 PM
Thanks & you are right.. I have actually been in a lot of different Zx's that we have sold. The 33 & 26 are my fav's.. Thats why when Kristin found this one as a left over I grabbed it.. Donzi's stuff in genral is great.. My wife & I just happen to like the ride, layout & characteristics of the zx's.. The 26 is a great platform to build on.. Annother good example of this is Frank Civitano's ride (the 26zx).. I really cant wait to get out & enjoy the boat. Too bad I couldn't still keep the 22c too.. That was the bomb for hitting smaller areas. Im gonna miss it for that stuff.. It was like riding a sport bike, It's just too bad there is'nt more space in them.... :) Jamie

No the 22 does not have a Stabin Cabin. Ouch, did I say that? I do like all the room in my ZX. Very nice on my big lake. We load up and go to the lower lake for the day and still have plenty of room.

Man those 33's are starting to get cheap! Makes me think often. Fortunately I still have a number of things left to do to the 27ZX before I get bored.

LKSD
12-28-2006, 12:36 PM
No the 22 does not have a Stabin Cabin. Ouch, did I say that? I do like all the room in my ZX. Very nice on my big lake. We load up and go to the lower lake for the day and still have plenty of room.
Man those 33's are starting to get cheap! Makes me think often. Fortunately I still have a number of things left to do to the 27ZX before I get bored.

:) :)

The 33's are a good value.. Especially now..

MikeyFIN
12-28-2006, 05:53 PM
in design stages

hhhmmmm

anything like this?

Rootsy
12-29-2006, 10:51 AM
i'd just be happy to finish the one lying in pieces in the shop... guess it'll be a "new" boat more-or-less when i am finished.... then i donno... maybe a lil wooden blowboat for the lake... i miss my flat bottom from my teenage years... heck i still have the jib and main in the sail bag somewhere... and the mast too...

Rootsy
12-29-2006, 11:48 AM
There's one more piece of your jigsaw puzzle in CT now Jamie..
I'd make him deliver it since he ripped ya off in the first place :eek!: :eek!: :bonk: :wink: :beer:

he hasn't received my winterization and brokerage bill yet either :eek!:

BERTRAM BOY
01-13-2007, 09:56 PM
he hasn't received my winterization and brokerage bill yet either :eek!:

Speaking of jigsaw puzzles, I just finished cutting up your part into about a hundred pieces. I'll ship it out in a 12"X12" box on Monday.

olredalert
01-14-2007, 10:38 PM
-------Id have to hit the lottery but my next boats first initial starts with F and is followed in rapid succestion by an i, n, and o!!!........Bill S

pmreed
01-15-2007, 12:18 AM
Always got my eye out for a good Glastron Carlson, preferable a solid CVX 20.

Phil

FISHIN SUCKS
01-17-2007, 07:18 PM
[QUOTE=rustnrot;397403]Currently working this project, Pulse Drive surface drive, Toyota Marine 300 hp DOHC 4.0L ski boat engine. Used to be a jet drive, will be one no more.[QUOTE]

OH NO:eek!: ! Say it isn't so? No more jet:( ???? I have a soft spot in my heart for jets. that's what i grew up with. My great uncle was vice president of Berkley Jet Drive in the 70's. I know, you'll be more fuel efficient with a prop but I dig the rooster tail from a squirt boat. What year is the Chris?

rustnrot
01-17-2007, 07:26 PM
Fear Not, the surface drive will still throw a rooster tail! 1972 Chris Craft XK18.

RedDog
01-21-2007, 07:22 PM
I think I'll keep my 22C forever, but I would like another fish boat for my TN lakes and rivers.

This would be it -

http://www.allisonboats.com/bass_boats/xb21print.htm