PDA

View Full Version : spacers on outdrive

22billyzx
12-12-2006, 08:50 PM
I mentioned this in an earlier post,and am trying to upload a photo of the spacers that were removed from the outdrive of my 99 ZX ,so i hope they are attached. Any of you guys with the 22 ZX are probably aware that this boat has a tendency for the bow to hook when turning tight with the outdrive all the way down. My mechanic removed these spacers this fall when i had it winterized,so i don`t know how the boat will preform yet. Hopefully,i will do better out of the hole. I can send this photo if it doesnt come through on this post

RedDog
12-13-2006, 05:19 AM
I don't understand the purpose of that "spacer." Where does it fit on the drive? Does it limit the amount the drive will tuck in?

When you posted before I thought you were referring to a drive spacer that extends the length of the drive leg.

22billyzx
12-13-2006, 06:46 AM
I never got to see where this spacer fit on the outdrive...for some reason my mechanic didnt tell me he removed them. Something about doing some research thru Donzi. But as i understand it,it does limit the distance the drive tucks in. If possible,i will try and get a phot showing where these spacrs fit on the outdrive. (the boat is currently in storage)

Morgan's Cloud
12-13-2006, 08:02 AM
Could they possibly be installed at the ends of the trim rams to prevent them from being fully retracted ?
If that's the case , they would be more of 'restrictors' than spacers .. :wink:

RedDog
12-13-2006, 05:37 PM
Could they possibly be installed at the ends of the trim rams to prevent them from being fully retracted ?
If that's the case , they would be more of 'restrictors' than spacers .. :wink:

That is where I thought they went. Per my manual, you flip them one way and the rams can fully retract. Flip them the other way and they don't retract as far. So what I am wondering, it you removed them what is supporting / cushing the anchor pin that connects the 2 rams together and passes through the drive. See the attached for where they go - I couldn't locate part name / number

I bet your mechanic just forgot to put them back in - it wasn't a deliberate decision....

It takes 5 - 10 minutes to put them back in

But then on further thought - maybe that isn't the part. It seems mine look different. I can't verify since I'm 1500 miles from my boat

22billyzx
12-13-2006, 06:58 PM
I am certain they were not on the trim tabs,but in fact somewhere on the outdrive. He feels they were an add on,possibly by the dealer? Apparently Donzi had a hull change on the 99 ZX. We found this out after i ordered a trailer that didnt fit. Perhaps these spacers were added to compensate for the change in the hull. His first concern is safety,and he plans on doing some research this winter as to why these were there in the first place. I will continue to pick his brain though! I also want to try a different prop on this boat. Stock 99 22' ZX 454 non-mag. Currently,i am running the stock 24-4 blade. My top speed has been 62 mph (no gps) @4800 RPM. i am sure this boat could see a better top speed with a didderent prop. I am curious what a 3 blade cleaver would do...maybe a 25?

RedDog
12-13-2006, 07:36 PM
:bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

ahhh.... Morgan's Cloud and I are not talking trim tabs but your drive trim - see picture

22billyzx
12-13-2006, 08:08 PM
DOH...I thought that sounded a bit odd....but i`m still a novice! That sounds much more obvious. Are you running the same boat?

yeller
12-14-2006, 04:44 AM
I've read this thread a few times and am still not sure exactly what you guys are refering to, but I believe the spacers are to prevent the drive from 'tucking' in too far. This is to help prevent the bow from 'hooking' in turns (exactly as 22billyzx said). Removing them won't give you any more performance, better handling, or anything else positive. It will cause you more grief if you do a sharp turn with the drive tucked in.......(as the drive will be capable of 'tucking' in further).
Ignore my post if it is redundant or irrelevant. It is late, and I just came home from hockey....(yes I am :canada: ).....and I've had a few.....(yes I am :canada: )

22billyzx
12-14-2006, 07:13 AM
Thanks for the feedback yeller...i was hoping to get a little better launch out of the hole,as this boat seems to take awhile to plane out compared to other boats i run with. Most probably,we will put these spacers back on in the spring if there is no improvement. However,i am still looking for some feedback as to what other prop i could use to achieve a little better performance. Thanks to all PS I have the original manual for this boat,and it mentions a trim-in limit pin. Is this the same?

22zxla
12-16-2006, 09:01 AM
BILLY jusy went outside and looked all over my drive. Didnt see anything that looked like the picture. Althought i do have a 2 inch piece of metal , round ,like the ram that appears to limit the amount the drive tucks in. Its just screwed in and can be removed easily. To get on plane faster just put your trim tabs down at take off. As for prop im using a 3 blade 23p and going same as you 62@4800rpm. thinking stock thats all were ever going to get!