PDA

View Full Version : Powder coat trailer

wrussellw
12-11-2006, 06:01 PM
I am thinking about having my 16's steel trailer powder coated. I use in it salt/brackish water. Anybody have any experiences to share. Hold up okay?

gcarter
12-11-2006, 06:04 PM
I don't have any experience w/trailers (it would have to be disassembled and sand blasted) but I know who can do it.
Here in Leesburg Florida is a company that PCs dragster chassis, and they have ovens 30' long.

vonkamp
12-11-2006, 06:13 PM
Another option is Por15. I have not used it but have heard good things about it and it's durability. It also eliminates the need for a large oven.

http://www.por15.com

need for speed
12-11-2006, 06:17 PM
Powder coated and salt... .... all the big boats I care for work have some of that stuff.. The powder coat usually starts to bubble and chip around any screw or bolt.... and if it gets a chip the salt just eats away more ... Looks great for the first little wile.... :wink:

but the trailer would look very nice!!

Barry Eller
12-11-2006, 06:34 PM
Steel rusts in salt water. Power-coated won't work very long. Aluminum or Galvanized only in salt water. Wouldn't A Stainless Steel trailer would be NOVEL? Very heavy and expensive.

wrussellw
12-11-2006, 08:12 PM
I actually (long story) have two trailers. The other is galvanized. Would powder coating work better on it. If not can someboby suggest a paint. My experience with my other boats is after about 3 years the trailers start to suffer from the saltwater.
thanks

CHACHI
12-12-2006, 05:53 AM
If the trailer is a square tube frame with drain holes drilled in the underside of the tubes, you will never be able to coat the inside of the tube. the trailer will look nice from the outside, but will be rusting away from the inside.

A C-channel trailer frame is another story.

Ken