PDA

View Full Version : Looking to paint on my 16'

byeagle
12-09-2006, 12:57 AM
Here's the deal...I mentioned to co-worker/donzi owner that I want to paint my 16' and He looked at me like I just killed is wife or something. He said it will decrease the value? What like a couple hundred or are we talking thousands? Need some input.The gel coat/white bled through the yellow striping and It looks like crap and I want to redo the striping any thoughts? Also where the hell do I get those 4" 5" donzi decals???or any donzi graphics????. Also keep in mind I know about the gel coat/paint "laws" and I have a buddy that know boats and paint very well. I just don't want to turn my new toy into a paper weight! that's all ,Thanx again
Bryan

Rootsy
12-09-2006, 10:06 AM
**** i guess i better consult a lawyer here soon.... :eek!:

SideshowRob
12-09-2006, 10:19 AM
Eh??? :canada:
Sorry, what happened to his wife

SurfGreenTele
12-09-2006, 01:09 PM
If the gel looks like crap, what other option do you have than to paint it? I've read here several times that a good paint like Imron can be more durable and UV resistant than gelcoat.

And do a search for decals, lots of people sell them here.

kjly63
12-09-2006, 02:21 PM
I repainted with Awlgrip Awlcraft 2000 a few yrs ago and it looks great. I wax it once a yr when it goes in and that's it. My only concern would be blistering if the boat were to be in the water all the time...........mine sits on a lift and is used only fresh water.

hope that helps:wink:

ken

byeagle
12-11-2006, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the thoughts SurfGreenTele and kjly63, To the others that didn't get what I was saying....it was a joke about the "wife killing" thing. I guess I should of said my co-worker looked at me like I had Four Heads! Basically my Co-worker says don't paint it you will decrease the value ($) of your donzi cause it's not "original".!?!? Well, I don't know about that, I just got my 16' about three months ago and Im kinda new to this boating thing. I think the Imron might be the ticket. It's only the yellow trim I need to redo. Also how much of a pain is it to paint a section and then still get that "no paint seam" look/feel without clear coating the entire boat again? is it possible? wet sanding with buffing at the end? Thanx again guys.

dwiggl
12-11-2006, 11:00 PM
When the Gelcoat is done, it's done. It has limited UV resistance and is "sacrificial" to the sun. You can re-gel. Very labor intensive and not a garage project. If it is not done correctly, it won't last, and may even peel. Imron-style, 2 part Urethanes work great because of impact resistance, higher gloss than Gel, great adhesion, low maintanence, huge color choices. So if you want to make the rig to turn heads, then you may be forced to paint. The purists might even forgive you it it looks great. Just remember that a good paint job is really a good prep job. And don't even think of shooting this stuff without air-fed respirators. So this is not a garage job either! Your neighbors will never forgive you......

byeagle
12-12-2006, 12:01 AM
Thanx dwiggl, the overall gel-coat is fine and well taken care of but, Im 99% sure some retard before me painted the yellow trim and did an amature job at it. I've never seen this before but there's various white patches (gel-coat) Im assuming, that bled through the yellow trim all over the boat. Now, is that just poor prep work on the last job or is that a sign of the original gel-coat(underneath) deteriorating? It's looks weird but im no paint expert either. Keep in mind it's 1995 16' and Also All of these minor defects is under the clear, meaning its smooth and it shines across the entire area, like it's not UV or sun damage causing this, really weird? anyways let me know if anyone has seen this before, thanx again.

dwiggl
12-18-2006, 10:17 PM
Hard to say what it is w/out pictures. They may have had some fading, so they color sanded and shot clear over top, to bring gloss back. Since boat people are the same everywhere (ie. they love to talk boats) Why don't you tow it down to the local boat shop and ask them for a diagnosis?
This time of year a reasonably small job is great for them to pay wages and light bills. You will either get a great guote or something out of your budget. But either way, you will get a better answer and will get to hang-out instead of all the other adult stuff we boat freaks "have to do" all winter.....
Don