PDA

View Full Version : Is this too heavy for my truck?

millhouse961
12-07-2006, 09:27 AM
I have an opportunity to pick up a '99 Donzi 28ZX for a smokin' deal; problem is my tow vehicle is a 2004 Ford F150 4x4. The max tow rating on the truck is 9000lb, and the owner of the boat said with fuel, etc. it weighs 9-9500lb on the trailer. I'd rather not go buy a new truck at the same time I'm buying a boat, but how bad would it be to tow this big of a boat with my truck? Is there modifications I can do to my truck to help it handle the load with out burning up the rear end or am I really going to have to upgrade? Thanks in advance

Air 22
12-07-2006, 10:08 AM
Millhouse...I tow my 22 Classic several thousand miles per year w/ a 2500 GMC Suburban...Don't forget the weight of the trailer?? Steel or Aluminum? Steel trailers can be twice the weight of an aluminum trailer...etc. You also need to consider the extras you carry in your boat and the fuel. Fuel is 6+lbs per gallon so you have alot of weight there as well. After you add all the extra's up consider the stopping capability of your vehicle. This is an area most people overlook. Pulling the boat is half the problem.....stopping is another! Does your trailer have Disc or drum brakes? Disc brakes are the safest and have the best stopping capabilities. Your F150 can tow that 28ZX the question you have to ask yourself is how safe is it? Where are you planning on towing it?..ie just around the block or on long road trips?? Up and down hills?? It all makes for serious considerations for you, your, passengers and fellow drivers. A larger vehicle might be the option.. ie..like an F-250 or similar if you plan on towing alot....You cannot put a price on Safety!:wink:
Enjoy that 28ZX....:yes:

millhouse961
12-07-2006, 10:36 AM
Millhouse...I tow my 22 Classic several thousand miles per year w/ a 2500 GMC Suburban...Don't forget the weight of the trailer?? Steel or Aluminum? Steel trailers can be twice the weight of an aluminum trailer...etc. You also need to consider the extras you carry in your boat and the fuel. Fuel is 6+lbs per gallon so you have alot of weight there as well. After you add all the extra's up consider the stopping capability of your vehicle. This is an area most people overlook. Pulling the boat is half the problem.....stopping is another! Does your trailer have Disc or drum brakes? Disc brakes are the safest and have the best stopping capabilities. Your F150 can tow that 28ZX the question you have to ask yourself is how safe is it? Where are you planning on towing it?..ie just around the block or on long road trips?? Up and down hills?? It all makes for serious considerations for you, your, passengers and fellow drivers. A larger vehicle might be the option.. ie..like an F-250 or similar if you plan on towing alot....You cannot put a price on Safety!:wink:
Enjoy that 28ZX....:yes:

Yeah, I've been thinking about all that. As far as I know, the 9-10k weight is including the trailer and fully loaded w/fuel and I believe the trailer has good brakes; not sure if disk or drum but the guy made it a point to mention the quality of the trailer. My fiance and I may be moving soon, so there is a good possiblity that I will be towing this thing up a big hill every time I go to the local lake and the total drive is about 60 miles one way. I have a feeling that the smartest option will be to go to a GMC 2500 duramax (won't ever buy another Ford), but what if I re-geared the F150, added a power programmer, and a larger radiator. Would this cut it or am I still looking at a bigger truck?

mrfixxall
12-07-2006, 10:51 AM
Yeah, I've been thinking about all that. As far as I know, the 9-10k weight is including the trailer and fully loaded w/fuel and I believe the trailer has good brakes; not sure if disk or drum but the guy made it a point to mention the quality of the trailer. My fiance and I may be moving soon, so there is a good possiblity that I will be towing this thing up a big hill every time I go to the local lake and the total drive is about 60 miles one way. I have a feeling that the smartest option will be to go to a GMC 2500 duramax (won't ever buy another Ford), but what if I re-geared the F150, added a power programmer, and a larger radiator. Would this cut it or am I still looking at a bigger truck?

theres another thing to consider on your f-150....Hitch rating,and toungue weigh..i see alot of guys try to pill thease massive boats with trucks that arnt made to pull the weight.will they? yes but you taking your life in your hands and possibly someone elses and god forbid if that happens..i would reccomend a minimum of a 3/4 ton truck also because of the frames..there alot thicker and wont bend like my 1/2 ton chevy did when i was pulling my old bobcat..also you may want to invest in a solid bar style reciever which will handle 10,000 pounds..if you decide to buy a newer chevy duramax make sure you get a 2005 and newer because they have the up graded injectors and incoder motors for the transfercase if you choose a 4wd version..

good luck

MD

Air 22
12-07-2006, 11:23 AM
Save yourself the headaches...go w the DURAMAX!!:yes: :wink: There are plenty of great used ones out there....:wink:

Sofa King
12-07-2006, 11:30 AM
I find it VERY hard to believe that a ford f150 4x4 has a max towing of 9000 lbs. I believe it would be under 8000 lbs. and yes that is too much boat for a that truck.

Sofa King
12-07-2006, 11:40 AM
Maybe a crewcab with a tall rear end?

Air 22
12-07-2006, 11:47 PM
Well, its pointless to just guess towing Numbers so see for yourself. The 2007 F-150 4x4 Reg Cab Can tow up to 9500lbs. Not sure what year your F-150 is but read your owners manual to be sure on its towing capacity. My numbers come from the Ford site.:wink:
http://www.fordvehicles.com/assets/pdf/towing/07RVf-series9-18.pdf
Either way...I'd invest in a bigger Truck!:wink: :yes: Good Luck and post pic's of your new toys!!:) :beer:

Donziweasel
12-09-2006, 09:11 AM
Just because the tow rating is 9000 pounds, that does not mean it will do it effortlessly. The truck will be straining against a 9000 pound load, will handle like crap, get horrendous fuel mileage and will be a bitch to drive. Go 3/4 ton with turbo diesel, whether is be Ford, Chevy or Dodge. My wife has a 2005 F-150 and I would never even consider towing something over 6000 pounds with it. That is what my F-350 1 ton w/ 6.0L powerstroke is for (19,000 pound tow rating).

DAULEY
12-09-2006, 09:33 AM
Dura Max The Only Way To Go

yeller
12-09-2006, 03:13 PM
I'll throw my 2 cents in because I have a very similiar truck to yours. My work truck is an 04 F150 2wd 5.4l and I have used it to tow my 22C. It works ok with my boat but not great and it does struggle a lot on the hills. I would not even consider a bigger boat with a 150. Even my 22 has pushed me into an intersection when I had to brake quickly. I would not want to be anywhere near someone that is towing a 28 with that size truck.

Team Jefe
12-11-2006, 07:11 AM
Millhouse - we have had dozons of discussions about this exact issue over teh years, do a search and you will see the prevailing opinion.....1/2 ton trucks are just too small to pull these large boats.

The biggest issue is stopping power. 1/2 tons just don't have what is takes to safely deal with emergency situations.

here is a recent discussion to start you with your search
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=47300

Good Luck and welcome aboard

millhouse961
12-11-2006, 09:44 PM
Millhouse - we have had dozons of discussions about this exact issue over teh years, do a search and you will see the prevailing opinion.....1/2 ton trucks are just too small to pull these large boats.
The biggest issue is stopping power. 1/2 tons just don't have what is takes to safely deal with emergency situations.
here is a recent discussion to start you with your search
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=47300
Good Luck and welcome aboard

Thanks for all the info; looks like I will be upgrading to a duramax if I do end up getting the boat