PDA

View Full Version : 1972 restored sweet 16 for sale. $12,000

J Collins
12-06-2006, 03:57 PM
Adult owned (62 years old). Deck off restoration and new 302 Ford roller crate motor with 150 hours. New interior and aluminum trailer. Always garaged. Thru hull exhaust. New controls. Original Donzi instruments. Very clean and runs perfectly. Volvo outdrive. Firm on price but you wont be disappointed. Having a problem loading pictures so please email me at jscabin@yahoo.com.

sweet 16 1966
12-06-2006, 04:18 PM
Nice job.

What manifolds are you running.
Never seen the exit routing from the manifolds to the through exhaust.

Just Say N20
12-06-2006, 06:03 PM
They look like they could be OSCO manifolds. You meant exhaust, right?

sweet 16 1966
12-06-2006, 06:50 PM
Yes, exhaust JSN.
Tks

J Collins
12-07-2006, 11:47 AM
Well actually I dont know. They appear to be a fiberglass or composite material. The distance from the manifold and the sharp angle required to meet up with the thru hull exhaust probably excluded the use of rubber. Anyway they sound good and seem to function fine.

Jerry Eisele
12-08-2006, 03:48 AM
Nice job!! That is a sweet looking 16'.

olredalert
12-08-2006, 09:09 AM
Sweet16,,, Im betting that whoever plumbed the boat didnt want to plug the old Holman/Moody exhaust holes some of which are pretty low so came up with the solution in the pics above. Glad it works, although it might be a tad restrictive........Bill S

Dredgeking
12-08-2006, 01:30 PM
Could you just use hose from the manifold to the transom? I've seen a few too many "elaborate" piping systems from the manifold to the transom lately and wonder why people don't just use the hose.

Cuda
12-08-2006, 02:07 PM
This is the 16 I saw at the Toys for Tots run, that I posted pictures of. It is in beautiful shape. I told him about donzi.net. I knew he was our kind of people when I saw him immediately wiping down his entire boat with a towel after pulling it out of the fresh water St John's River.

Glad to see you made it on here.
Joe

Cuda
12-08-2006, 02:09 PM
Could you just use hose from the manifold to the transom? I've seen a few too many "elaborate" piping systems from the manifold to the transom lately and wonder why people don't just use the hose.
It because sharp bends, like 90* will burn a hole through the hose. I've run into this issue changing the exhaust on Deb's 22.

J Collins
12-09-2006, 07:40 AM
I appreciate the insight from Cuda and all. I have had this jewel for 3 years and whenever I am on the St Johns get immediate feedback from Donzi lovers. The classics especially attract attention. I regret selling this boat but have a 4 year old that never got used to the thru hull exhaust and that limits use. Since joining and listing I have seen some great Donzi's in the registry. As I mentioned to Cuda, at the toys for tots, my favorite is the classic 22 and I will probably own one when my daughter is older.

We should all appreciate the hull design. The Saturday of the toys for tots was windy and rough in the afternoon. I saw many boats taking a pounding while the "16" just cut thru it all at speed. Great boats all !

boldts
12-10-2006, 04:05 PM
J,

1st - very nice 16' Classic. Good luck with the sale.

2nd - the reason your selling the boat....I have a daughter who went through the same thing your reporting about the through hull exhaust and the sound bothering the child. My daughter wouldn't go near our 18' Classic for a summer when she was 5 or 6. The following summer my wife and I said we're taking the boat to the lake. Do you want to come with us? From that weekend on, my daughter loved the boat and wasn't happy unless the throttle was down and we were going as fast as possible. We later bought a 22 Classic with a windshield. My daughter loved the added speed, but she told me she really liked the wind in her face of our 18 which had no windshield. She always couldn't wait until we got out of the habor and opened up the closed exhaust. She was hooked on our boat and wouldn't miss a trip to the lake.

If you truely love your 16 and want to keep the boat, keep it. Your child will come around. Might just take a little time. Try letting the child sit in the boat before you start it and then start it with them in the cockpit with you. Make the child a part of the operation. Let them help you steer has you back away from the dock and idle out the inlet. I think before you know it, your now sensitive child will be asking you to take them to the water with the boat more than you may have time to do.

Your right. There is not another boat like a Donzi. Your lucky to have one. I'd hate to see you give up a love for something that will pass real soon. Take care!

Chris Duval
12-13-2006, 07:59 PM
I concur, don't sell it if you love it. I was close to selling my 86' 22 classic a few years ago but didn't. Jim Haas was interested, but I couldn't do it. I haven't had it in the water for three years, but will this spring. Thanks, Buzilla