PDA

View Full Version : Aronow Powerboats, Inc.!!??

Carl C
12-06-2006, 03:35 PM
I was looking at some of my old boating mags and found a 2 page add in the 6-1990 "Motor Boating & Sailing" for Aronow Powerboats. This is one Aronow company that I hadn't heard of. Does anyone have any info? How long were they in business. Was the company started by Don? If not, how were they able to use the name?:confused:

Carl C
12-06-2006, 03:54 PM
Looking further into this magazine I found a test of the advertised boat. The text answers some of my questions. Apparently Don designed this boat but died before it could be built. I'd still appreciate any other info on this boat and company.

Carl C
12-06-2006, 06:16 PM
OK, I know that all the posts have been by myself; sorry about that but I'm sitting here looking at all these old boating mags I pulled out of the attic and now I just found a 47 Aronow made in 1989. How long was this company in business? Were the boats considered high quality? Is this considered a true Aronow company? (he designed some of the models himself) :alligator

Morgan's Cloud
12-07-2006, 06:53 AM
Apparently, after Don's death, Jim Wynne finished off the design work on the model(s) that were still on the drawing board.
They were an embodiment of everything he had done up to that point and even included a 24' cat with twin outboards. This is also the company that he used to introduce his big I/O cats that became known as the 'blue thunder's' that the US Customs used.
There was a thread a while back on a "Gucci Edition" 39 that was for sale .. you might find it if you try a search.
The company was founded by Don as "U.S.A" Powerboats but the new owners re-named it "Aronow Powerboats" as a sign of respect.
After Aronow Boats went out of business many of the molds were sold to the company that eventually built them as "Super Hawaii's" ... and later "Mirage" got their hands on them I believe...
Steve