PDA

View Full Version : Water Pickup installation

vonkamp
12-05-2006, 09:26 PM
Seems to me I had seen a tech article on this website some time ago about how to install an external Stainless Marine water pickup. Is that article still around? I could not find it. Thanks, Von

gcarter
12-05-2006, 09:31 PM
It's been gone for quite a while.
Call me and I can tell you how to do it.

gcarter
12-05-2006, 09:42 PM
Basically you make a pattern of the pickup mounting flange, with the through transom pipe also cut out of the pattern. Next figure out how much you want the pickup to extend below the bottom, I extended mine 1/2" at the leading edge of the pickup tube. Then figure the center of the hole needed for the through transom pipe and the centers of the mounting screw holes and mark the centerlines on the pattern. Transfer the pattern and hole centerlines to the transom and drill all the appropriate holes. The most important is the through transom pipe...1" pipe is 1 3/8 OD. I used a spade drill. You MUST drill this hole perpendicular to the transom or it won't go through the thick part of the transom.

zimm17
03-26-2007, 09:55 AM
Old thread....but I'm looking at doing this.

What do you seal the holes with? I'm sure there's some miracle goop that you slather on the bolts to keep water out of the transom.

How do you seal the wood so no water gets in as well?

zelatore
03-26-2007, 11:12 AM
3M 4200 and 5200 are excellent underwater adhesives/sealants. I use 5200 all the time for thru-hull underwater mountings of things like transducers, water pick-ups, etc on my new boats.

5200 is considered 'permanent'. Once it's on and cured, it's hard to get apart without a lot of work. but it still remains somewhat flexible. I used it recently on one of my own boats when installing trim tabs. Nasty stuff to work with, but it does the job.

Don

MOP
03-26-2007, 12:01 PM
Don't forget to measure the stringer location, see several done that were to close or hit the stringer.