PDA

View Full Version : how do you go slow with big props

d1mbu1b
12-05-2006, 10:13 AM
I have heard it said on this board that you only go as fast as you want to crash into the dock.

What else can you do other than continually taking it in and out of gear.
(besides become a better pilot)

The pasengers seem to get a little shifty when your approching at 10 mph and not letting off berfore jamming into reverse.

So, I've tried trimming up, that helps but I dont like running the u-joint at any kind of angle.
I've tried lowering the carb idle which dosn't work when the engine is cold.
I have not tried dropping the tabs, does that work?

Is there a way to get the props to slip down low and hook-up up high?
I have seen another post that talks about some kind of aerator tube on the outdrive of the offshore racing boats. I guess it slips the prop so the motor can get the R's up and get out of the hole.

Cuda
12-05-2006, 10:47 AM
Neutral is your freind.

glashole
12-05-2006, 12:11 PM
[What else can you do other than continually taking it in and out of gear.

practice makes perfect :)

mrfixxall
12-05-2006, 12:27 PM
I have heard it said on this board that you only go as fast as you want to crash into the dock.
What else can you do other than continually taking it in and out of gear.
The pasengers seem to get a little shifty when your approching at 10 mph and not letting off berfore jamming into reverse.
So, I've tried trimming up, that helps but I dont like running the u-joint at any kind of angle.
I've tried lowering the carb idle which dosn't work when the engine is cold.
I have not tried dropping the tabs, does that work?
Is there a way to get the props to slip down low and hook-up up high?
I have seen another post that talks about some kind of aerator tube on the outdrive of the offshore racing boats. I guess it slips the prop so the motor can get the R's up and get out of the hole.

Tabs down drive down seem to work well and nutrel is always your best friend.

Magicallbill
12-05-2006, 02:10 PM
Cuda said it perfectly,as he usually does.

I have a '67 16 that has 397 HP and a 23' Solas prop(Thanks Grizz)
That combo makes for a very fast idle, even at dead-slow throttle.
Best thing is
1.)Remember how much hassle and stress it would be to repair gelcoat from a hit.
2.)Remember how you look to your passengers and bystanders as you collide with a piling,or whatever.
3.)Taking points 1&2 into account,it is a no-brainer to take EXTRA time and bump in-and-out of neutral 15 times to slow your approach. You might take a minute longer to dock, but it's way better than the alternatives.

glashole
12-05-2006, 02:35 PM
what are you running for props?

BigGrizzly
12-05-2006, 07:03 PM
Like Cuda says!!! I have a 30 pitch and don't have a problem. The best way to dock is slow and easy, especially if you like your boat.

d1mbu1b
12-06-2006, 11:49 AM
what are you running for props?

They are F8 props on a 1.68:1 DPs drive
I am assuming there like a 27" on a 1.5:1.
The Volvo prop guide says they are set up for about 75 mph at 5000,
but this guide leaves a lot for interperetation.

When its calm I have no problem coasting in. It is just that when you get a cross current and stiff breeze. I have to keep under way to maintain the approach, and 'drive' it in.

Is it bad for the drive to keep shifting in and out?

Thanks for all the input.

Cuda
12-06-2006, 12:37 PM
When I'm in current, I approach from downstream, get it headed towards the trailer at an angle, the turn it into the trailer. I keep up just enough speed to give me headway, and use neutral alot. When I'm bringing the Formula in, I only have one engine in drive, but keep them both running. I usually use the engine that does not have the ps pump on it, in case it dies, I still have steerage. Some guys run them up on the trailer (or dock) at a pretty good clip, then back down in reverse. It's impressive............until a cable breaks. Long time ago, my dad who was a career Navy man, was going to show the landlubbers how a real seaman brought a boat to the dock. He came at a pretty good clip, shifted to reverse, and the cable snapped. I was on the bow, and got a good look of the concrete ramp just before we went up on it. I still kid my dad to this day about his "seaman like maneuver". :)

I was about 15 or 16 at the time. I learned then not to rely too much on backing down, when it's not necessary.