PDA

View Full Version : V-6 or V-8 in a new Sweet-16?

RickSE
12-05-2006, 10:10 AM
My dad is about to order a new Sweet-16 for resale. If you were buying a 16 would you get the 305 V-8 or 4.3 V-6? The last one he sold was a V-8 way back in 99'; seemed to run pretty good but man was that engine a tight fit. Do the V-6 & V-8 boats run about the same speed due to the weight difference? The V-8 BTW is about $1,500 more then the V-6.

smokediver
12-05-2006, 10:20 AM
go with the V8 . sounds way better than the V6 !!! the weight is about a hundred pounds but it is further forward . not a big deal ...

kd5cue
12-05-2006, 03:57 PM
v8 v8

Ranman
12-05-2006, 05:00 PM
Make it a

http://www.foodservicedirect.com/productimages/OT340213S.jpg

BigGrizzly
12-05-2006, 06:59 PM
A v8 has better resale especially if a guy wants a Donzi and knows its herritage. So if someone buys it to move up the v8 is the choice.

gold-n-rod
12-05-2006, 07:20 PM
When I bought mine, I never even considered a V6. I wanted the heritage, the sound, and the V8 feel. I think that most buyers are seeking that. I see a lot of sixes for sale on Boattrader.com. Must be a reason.

The weight penalty can be minimized with aluminum manifolds.

Of course you are right about the clearance issues. That is the only thing I absolutely hate about my boat. Removing the exhaust manifolds to R&R the batteries is unforgiveable. And don't get me started on the serp belt. Hello sawzall!!! :eek:

The Hedgehog
12-05-2006, 09:27 PM
I would buy a V-8 for sound and resale. You got to get the through hull.

We have a V-6. It handles great and is easy to work on. We are going to keep it and trick out the 6 just to do something different. Kind of a fun.

dclassic
12-05-2006, 11:23 PM
I'm with these guys... Go V8. When I was hunting a 16, I had a heck of a time finding a V8, they were all V6 powered. Then I decided to upsize instead. If I had to get a 6, I would trick out the 6 as well. However, it will most likely be cheaper in the long run to get the V8 and I would suspect much easier to sell and resell.

yeller
12-06-2006, 12:36 AM
That's what I like to see. Everyone on one side so I can come in and stir the pot. :biggrin.:

If it was a 350, I'd definately say go V8, but if I was looking for a new 16 and it had a 305...I'd pass. Extra weight, less engine room and probably no faster than the V6. That's just me...obviously...as no else seems to be on my side. :( :wink:

gold-n-rod
12-06-2006, 10:34 AM
Extra weight, less engine room and probably no faster than the V6.

OK, I'll throw out the challenge. My stock 5.0 (granted, not the world's finest technological advance) hits 60 GPS with just a prop change. I greatly doubt any late model stock V6 guys can match it. I'm guessing more like 52-54 GPS.

Step up or step out.

:wink:

The Hedgehog
12-10-2006, 09:52 PM
OK, I'll throw out the challenge. My stock 5.0 (granted, not the world's finest technological advance) hits 60 GPS with just a prop change. I greatly doubt any late model stock V6 guys can match it. I'm guessing more like 52-54 GPS.
Step up or step out.
:wink:

That is pretty good. I should hit some pretty good speed with a V-6 this year. But it won't be stock!:shocking:

Donziweasel
12-11-2006, 08:05 AM
Rick,
This is from someone who just purchased their first Donzi this August. I waited and hunted down a 1997 16C w/V-8. My family had a 16C growing up and I remember how I loved the sound of the 8. 16C owners with 6's, please don't beat me up when I say that a Donzi is known as a performance boat and if an 8 will fit, then there is only one way to go. Plus, there is nothing like the sound of the 8 and oh does it sound sweet. I was very particular on my boat. I wanted the 8, though hull, tabs, and low hours. Had to add the tabs, but everything else was there. On a weight issue, the 5.0 Mpi is 260 hp while the 4.3 Mpi is 220 horses and the wieght difference between the two setups is 88 pounds. I think the extra weight is worth it for 40 ponies, although I am not sure about torque, but I bet the 8 has much more.
How about options for this boat. Gel coat colored sides, tabs, through hull, dual battery, color, cd player, and now with the 2007 16, L seating or side by side? Are you going to load her up? I would definetly get the tabs, my 16 porpoised a lot without them from 35-45 mph and then chinewalked above 52. Tabs was the best thing I ever did to it as it cured both problems and is much more comfortable and funner (is this a word?) to drive.
Just out of curiosity, what is the boat going to be listed for?
BTW- I look at e-bay, boattrader, etc... quite a bit and 95% of the 16C's from 1990 on through 2006 for sale are V-6's. Not sure if they simply produced more or if owners don't want to part with the 8's

JP

CrackerJack
12-17-2006, 09:11 PM
Had a V6, replaced with a V8.

V8 is the best choice, in my humble, but most accurate opinion.

David Hartmann
12-18-2006, 09:13 PM
...V-8 or 4.3 V-6? ...
Well, This is going to sound like a sin. While I would agree that resale value will be higher on the V-8. I would consider the V-6

I have a St Tropez with a 350MPI and I am always looking for a little more out of it.

I also have a 1968 16' Ski Sporter. It is a project waiting to happen with no power in it right now. My plan is to put in a new Merc V-6.

My thoughts are this boat is was just to fast with the Ford 351 / Volvo that was in it. and a V-6 with an Alpha drive will be light wieght and the power trim will ad a little speed.

with a v-6 hopefully the boat is more managable and it will be save for teenagers to use to go waterskiing. More of a jump in a go kind of toy rather than a hey be very careful performance boat. the v6 can make it a day use run about but it still has Donzi cool.

I do agree on the sound. I am trying to find out if a V-6 can sound cool

rainy24
12-18-2006, 09:14 PM
Not that it is the fisrst thing to wory about, but if your into cruising, the v-8 is probably mure economical to drive, from my experience. Plus nothin' sounds better than an eight with thru-hulls.