PDA

View Full Version : What is a brazillian valve?

fasttrucker
12-03-2006, 10:26 AM
Ordered my new hdy. steering from www.cpperformance.com I ordered the mayfair add-on thats on sale for $995.00 thats $300 off normal price.Had to buy a brazilian valve.Why?

Last Real Texan
12-03-2006, 10:38 AM
Ordered my new hdy. steering from www.cpperformance.com I ordered the mayfair add-on thats on sale for $995.00 thats $300 off normal price.Had to buy a brazilian valve.Why? A tool for doing those south American wax jobs on your privates..............NO really......
:shocking:
There were two kinds of valves from the GM on the power steering pumps set up for different appl. One was Saginaw and the other Brazillian , I think it has to do with different model years, remember this is really only an automotive pump adapted to marine. It has to do with controlling the new ram outside on the transom.....no big deal now you have it and don't have to worry, enjoy the new steering......
Bryan

fasttrucker
12-03-2006, 10:46 AM
The brazil valve controls the flow of hydraulic fluid to the rams.. Cable actuated directional valve essentially.. Your late model one could have been modified for $100.00 rather than being replaced... I'll leave the CP dig out of the conversation.. :rolleyes:
I think the valve cost $80.00 new.I do have to pay for shipping.Not trying to plug cp, dont have a dog in the race,but I thought that others would like to see the winter specials.Same on-line as in the new powerboat mag ad.But thanks......cable actuated directional valve which controls the flow of hydraulic fluid to the rams.Does this connects to the power steering on the engine at all?Where does the hdy. fluid in the rams come/go to? sorry for my iggnorance.:confused:

fasttrucker
12-03-2006, 10:48 AM
A tool for doing those south American wax jobs on your privates..............NO really......
:shocking:
There were two kinds of valves from the GM on the power steering pumps set up for different appl. One was Saginaw and the other Brazillian , I think it has to do with different model years, remember this is really only an automotive pump adapted to marine. It has to do with controlling the new ram outside on the transom.....no big deal now you have it and don't have to worry, enjoy the new steering......
Bryan
Ok, so its on the power steering pump.Thanks:yes:

fasttrucker
12-03-2006, 11:53 AM
For 80 bucks CP sells you an adapter for the brazil valve, which is on the transom BTW... The adapter has its own set of issues...
When It gets here next week,Ill post back.I was told that I was buying a brazillian valve not an adapter.:garfield:

yeller
12-03-2006, 12:37 PM
... I'll leave the CP dig out of the conversation.. Bought my steering from CP. Had no problems with them. In fact, Mike Mays at CP was one of the best guys I've ever dealt with.

BigGrizzly
12-03-2006, 04:16 PM
It is bret Mays and he designed the Mayfair systems amd the mean machine ones too.

LKSD
12-04-2006, 07:53 AM
Sorry if my comments come off wrong.. I've been involved in a couple of these CP deals now, and they have not worked out as well as advertised. CP's tech guys leave a bit to be desired...
I'll be curious to see what they send ya, but I'm thinking it isnt this....

They are ok sometimes, but I'd have to agree with MP for the most part.. We also get a fair ammount of business because of thier prices changing at the end or stuff being frequently "incorrectly" priced, or price not known until billing.. :lookaroun J / Lksd

p729lws
12-04-2006, 08:24 AM
When It gets here next week,Ill post back.I was told that I was buying a brazillian valve not an adapter.:garfield:

When I got my IMCO system from a different vendor I thought I was getting a "valve" also. When the shipment didn't include the "valve" I had them ship another. What arrived were a couple small fittings / adapters to connect the new system to my existing valve which all worked out fine. Don't know why the vendors refer to it as a valve or why those two little fittings sell for $80. :confused:

Rootsy
12-04-2006, 08:36 AM
when i made my external steering i bought the IMCO adapter for the Brazil valve... basically it is nothing but a small aluminum manifold... all it does it replace cylinder housing and piston and route the oil used to run the original integral cylinder to the now external cylinder(s)...

the only crappy part of the whole deal is that you have a piston rod with no piston on it hanging out there in the air going back and forth... doesn't really matter as it is stainless and won't rust and isn't in the way of much....

On the older saginaw valve you just cut the jumper lines and splice into them...

i never had ONE SINGLE ISSUE with the IMCO adapter and it functioned as it was supposed to.. machining and finish quality were Top notch...

yeller
12-04-2006, 09:15 AM
It is bret Mays and he designed the Mayfair systems amd the mean machine ones too.Must be a different guy BG. I was dealing with Mike.

fasttrucker
12-09-2006, 10:48 AM
O.K. got my stuff from c.p. and it is a brazil valve adapter.The steering kit came with a nice instuction book.This mayfair is made by hardin marine.

fasttrucker
12-09-2006, 10:55 AM
They are ok sometimes, but I'd have to agree with MP for the most part.. We also get a fair ammount of business because of thier prices changing at the end or stuff being frequently "incorrectly" priced, or price not known until billing.. :lookaroun J / Lksd
I called them twice asking for some info on a product.They were not that great on the phone.So iam not buying my edelbrock marine-duty aluminum heads from them.Iam buying thru my shop as he is a dealer for them and said he would match the price.