PDA

View Full Version : This may make you feel a bit smaller...

SurfGreenTele
11-30-2006, 10:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcBV-cXVWFw

Magicallbill
12-01-2006, 12:30 PM
I sometimes still look up and ponder the concept of infinity.
Imagine seeing the end of the universe;wherever that is; and then wonder
"What's after that?"
There has to be "something" after "everything."

One thing's almost for certain..
There are no Donzi's in any other galaxy;we're special earthlings.

MOP
12-01-2006, 02:57 PM
That raises the point of how shallow and small minded we are to think we are the only ones!

Formula Jr
12-01-2006, 09:05 PM
I'll have to preface this by saying that I am not stoned as I write this.
Sometimes when you talk about contempory physics people can naturally assume that the speaker is on something. It just starts to sound that way.

Physics and Religion have come full circle with the recent advent of String Theory - Also called "The Theory of Everything." String Theory is a faith based paradigm of the structure on the universe, or more correctly, universes. It can not be tested, it can only be believed in. The basic tenent is that everything we perceive is made up of an inconcievable number of almost infinitesimal vibrating bands of energy, each of these bands, or strings, represent the intersection of a vastly greater number of dimentions than the the four we are use to. Our normal language falls us to find adaquate descriptions for all these other dimentions and the possible combinations that they could take and the universes that result from these combinations. We can spell them out in mathamatical form but we can't visualize them or find analogous, verbal conceptual frameworks to fit them into. Verbal descriptions just start sounding like jibberish. One of the things that physics tells us is that our normal framework of conception is wholely incorrect. Mankind still trys to fit the universe into concepts that we are use to and that make sense, such as the universe had a beginning and that it will have an end. That the universe is a singular thing or object. That the universe is not bounded by size, but that it is bounded by a topography.
There is no fundamental reason for assuming any of these things aside for the fact that in our perceived four dimentional universe these linguistic concepts have practical value in our day to day lives. We live and think in what one could call a necessary conceptual illusion or facade that has survival value to our species. Once you start thinking out side of these conventional retraints of language, everything we believe in can more accurately be called a mythology. There is no right or wrong mythology except for the ones that forcefully interfere with other people's mythologies.

The world today could use a little more grand and pandemic thinking and consideration that we are all in this human condition and that we all have our own conceptual limitations.

Tony
12-01-2006, 09:13 PM
"There is no right or wrong mythology except for the ones that forcefully interfere with other people's mythologies."

FJ, I always knew you were smarter than ****, and now this post proves it.
I'm sure you're gonna catch some flak about it, but that happens to a lot of smart geeks...it kind of comes with the territory...and I'm guessing you're used to it by now!

:beer:

Tony
12-01-2006, 09:27 PM
By the way, Surf, that is a great video.
I wish I taught science...I still may use it in 7th grade math.

:beer:

SurfGreenTele
12-01-2006, 10:45 PM
I think I need to get stoned, then re-read Formula Jr.'s post. :D

Seriously though, I'm in a bit of an ADD kind of mood tonight, so I'll have to read that again when I feel I can soak it in a little better.

yeller
12-02-2006, 12:37 AM
The basic tenent is that everything we perceive is made up of an inconcievable number of almost infinitesimal vibrating bands of energy, each of these bands, or strings, represent the intersection of a vastly greater number of dimentions than the the four we are use to.

Formula, not trying to stir things up, would just like to discuss. I've never heard of the String Theory before. Isn't the "String Theory" very close to what science has been working on for years? I.E: everything is made up of a mass of energy. It also sounds very much like "New Age" thinking, in that we are not really here physically, only that we exist as an energy in another dementia and our energy is creating the scenarios we call life.

I sometimes still look up and ponder the concept of infinity.
Imagine seeing the end of the universe;wherever that is; and then wonder
"What's after that?"
There has to be "something" after "everything."
That is the exact thought I have every time I look up. I can only wish my mind could conceptualize infinity. If only we wouldn't teach our children what we know and could find a way to teach them to learn beyond what we know.

Formula Jr
12-02-2006, 01:43 AM
"I saw Eternity the other night.
Like a great ring of pure and endless light,
All calm as it was bright;
And around beneath it, Time in hours, days, years,
driv'n by the spheres
Like a vast shadow mov'd; in which the world
and all her train were hurl'd. "

Henry Vaughn.

Every seventh grader should know this.

Tony, You teach the most important subject. :)

Formula Jr
12-02-2006, 02:29 AM
yeller, this might help you think about infinity.

http://jubal.westnet.com/hyperdiscordia/library_of_babel.html