PDA

View Full Version : Help determining the year of our boat

mellowyellow
11-28-2006, 12:24 AM
Hi,
We have an 18' classic donzi that my husband owned before he passed away and we could use some help determining the actual year of the boat. My sons tried researching it breifly in the past but we not very successful because they didn't have photos to post. If all goes well I should have some posted tonight. I am keeping my fingers crossed here that I am doing this right.
Anyway, the boat was purchased outside Detroit and I think by Lake St.Clair.
It orginally had a carburator system but my husband had a fuel injection system put on by shaker Racing. The thing could fly! it had a notorious reputation on Diamond Lake, Mi as it was never beat. However, considering the size of the lake and the fact that your really couldn't race I am not sure what bragging rights are here. I can tell you this my husband tried everything to flip the boat over. Thank God, he never accomplished that. He may have gone to heaven a little sooner than he did. It was his pride and joy for many years, then something happened, I think it was called teenage boys and the reality that they could be as crazy as him and he kinda toned down his interest in the boat and actally bought an antique boat from Canada. So, we went from the fastest to the slowest!
Anyway, my sons have the boat now and it is their pride and joy. Lucky for me they don't have the money right now to put it in the water and get crazy with it like their dad and by the time they do hopefully they will be mature enough I don't have to worry. And, they already know what the boat can and can't do so they don't have anything they need to prove, Right guys!
Hope fully, we I go to post this the pics will be there. Wish me luck.
thanks........Ginny
ps. thanks Ranman for telling me how to post photos at least I hope I know what I am doing! Well, as those who have looked at my post realized I wasn't successful. So, Scot had to comne to the rescue. thanks Scot! It is still being tempermental and I may have to post the rest of the photos in stages.
At last more photos. I don't know if this means anything or not but there are numbers engraved on the trailer, looks like - 10168X18 - would that indicate a year?
Oh, and the last photo I just couldn't resist. Like I said this has been a family boat. When I first came to Indiana to meet my husbands family I actually got to see the boat first. Well, my son PJ is just old enought to walk and already he is trying to drive the boat. It was before we replaced the upholstry. Hard to believe PJ is now 27. Where does time go? It was amazing that we could take him in that boat with the very very loud noise and he would be able to fall asleep. I swear if he could he would still sleep in that boat! LOL

Tony
11-28-2006, 03:09 PM
For cryin' out loud, you guys, this is a widow asking for some help..you'd think she would have all kinds of replies by now!

Awesome carburator stacks, cool interior and color, and three throttle controls!
Looks like a 70 something V-drive that's been redone...

:beer:

boldts
11-28-2006, 06:07 PM
Tony - I don't think those are carbarator stacks. They look like a Kinsler I believe the name is Fuel Injection system. They were big in the Sprint Car world. Hard to tell and it may just be an optical illusion, but the back end looks like a barrel back v-drive like the one for sale by Fastcat here on the Registry? If so, that puts the boat in the 1968 or 9 era I believe. The boat is sitting on an original Rocket Trailer. Not exactly sure what all 3 shifters are for. Obviously 1 for the throttle, probably 1 for the v-drive shifting, but the 3rd one is a mystery to me. Maybe some kind of tab on the transom like the flatbottom ski boats used to run?

Very cool Donzi for sure. I'm wondering how many people from here have contacted mellowyellow wanting to buy the boat already. :)

Just looked again after my post and more pictures. That 3rd lever is not for a tab on the transom as there is none and it's also not a barrelback model. So, opticle illusion in the other picture from the top looking down. That probably moves the year a bit newer like Tony said into 1969 or higher years, although my 69 did not have the script side emblems. I may be right in guessing 1968 as the year. Still has the thin deck stripe in comparison to the wider stripe used later on in production. Color is a replica to CDMA's 18 Classic.

mellowyellow
11-28-2006, 06:16 PM
Thanks Tony, but keep in mind when I first posted the photos did not upload so no one could respond. Now, that I have some photos I should get more response.
It would just be fun to know more about the boat, means alot to my sons.

Donziweasel
11-28-2006, 06:55 PM
MellowYellow- I am by know means an expert on identifying your Donzi year (there are many here who can identify it, though), I can tell you that it is what we call a V-Drive. This means that it is a fairly unique and rare Donzi despite the year. If it is an early model, original, and in good shape it is probably worth a good bit. I know everyone here would like some pictures of the engine. Not only does what you can see look interesting, it might help identify the year of the boat if it is the original block and heads, even if fuel injection was added.

RedDog
11-28-2006, 07:11 PM
Just an observation - the trailer says "X-18" and that is no X-18.

It is an awesome 18 2+3 v-drive!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for the year - does it have a serial number either embossed on the right rear transom or written on the back side of the dash or under the deck? The serial number would help/confirm the year. Post it if you can find it

vonkamp
11-28-2006, 07:25 PM
I had a 69 with the same kind of engine cowl latches on it and it wasn't a Barrelback. Because it's not a barrelback, I would guess it's a 1969.

Very nice boat. A lot of time and care was put into restoring it. Thanks for posting pic's.
Von

Donziweasel
11-28-2006, 07:34 PM
I agree with Red Dog, this is a really cool boat. Don't see stacks very often. Wonder what she would run WTO?

mellowyellow
11-28-2006, 08:04 PM
Hey donzi fans here are some of the so called facts
I believe the motor is original and it is a 454 the motor originally had to be started on 24volts and then switched back to 12. The fuel injection is made by hilborn with the fuel pump running on a gimble belt assembly off the crank. There is a reserve tank mounted on the transom incase it can't get from the front to the back fast enough. The boat has to run on 110 octane so to say the least it does not get used often. One of the three levers to the left of the drivers seet is to cut the fuel to the injection system. The lowest lever is to a hole in the transom which allows drainage of water if you take one over the bow. The last lever is forward neutral and reverse. Throttle is controlled by a foot pedal. There use to be a level the same as the ones on the side mounted on the dash to open a hole in the hull and fill balast tanks in the bow. Power is transfered through a casel (crash) gear box. I an not sure if crash is the appropriate term but i know it is set up for hole shots. It is designed to able to be reved and dropped in gear. The guages are not original nor the interior or paint. When the boat was originally bought there was a number one on each side of it, black number one with a white oval outline. So a solid white oval with a black number one in the middle.
Fact or fiction I am not sure, but my dad claimed that the boat was clocked on radar, on lake St. Claire at 114 mph.

Thanks
Paul Schumacher

RedDog
11-28-2006, 08:21 PM
...the motor originally had to be started on 24volts and then switched back to 12...

I bet it was 2 12v batteries in parallel so that it was still just 12v - the 2 batteries just providing more V umphh (amps) for the start. You would have 24 volts if the 2 batteries were wired in series - not likely (series is like a flashlight with 2 batteries - positive terminal to negative terminal).

I have 2 batteries - I can select either 1 by my selector switch or both at the same time. Any any case it is still only 12 volts. If it was wired for 24 v I bet fuses would be blowing

Ed Donnelly
11-28-2006, 08:34 PM
Paul; If it is the original engine, it would have to be a 70 or later,
Hilborn only made their injection on the 396 chev, wich would make it pre 70...Ed

Donzi Di
11-28-2006, 09:26 PM
Ginny,

The hull looks like a 1968. The engine may have been added later.

Your best bet is to look for the serial number. My guess for that year is behind the dash. You will need to lay on the floor and look up behind where the steering wheel is connected (you'll have to look through all the wires). The embossing of the HIN (hull identification number) on the outside starboard side did not start until 1974.

The number to look for behind the dash will probably be written in dark magic marker. It will also probably be in the format of 18-###.

Another way to do some research is to try and find the tag number on the V-drive - if it is the original V-drive. It should be located right on the gearbox itself.

Good luck.

Diana

Tony
11-28-2006, 09:35 PM
My '67 had the aluminum "Donzi Marine" script, and I believe so did '68's.
Another spot for a hull # is all the way up in the bow, written on the wooden block that the bow eye fitting is bolted to.

:beer:

mellowyellow
11-28-2006, 10:47 PM
Here is a photo behind the dash. it looks like the marking are C 18 then we can't make out because the gage is there it could possible be a V or a 1, then the numbers 23 7

By the way, A big thanks to all of you who are trying to help us. It sure means alot to my sons. This boat is a big connection to them and their dad and it has alot of sentimental value, not to mention lots of stories!

Rootsy
11-29-2006, 06:08 AM
that number would put it right in the mid to late 68 time frame.. a very early NON-barrelback boat...

BUIZILLA
11-29-2006, 06:44 AM
I gonna guess (aren't we all)... that it's a '69 model year, built Sept 1968 with a trailer serial number of 10-1-68, I *think* Rocket did serial numbers by calender days...

JH

classic_18
11-29-2006, 07:07 AM
I gonna guess (aren't we all)...

no..

Ranman
11-29-2006, 08:34 AM
Any information on what years and where the boat was kept and/or run on Lake St. Clair?

olredalert
11-29-2006, 09:04 AM
-----This is the first time I have seen this thread. What a great example of ingenuity at work. Ginny, your husband must have been a real good mechanic and a tinkerer as well. It takes alot of thought and talent to come up with some of the ideas he implemented on his baby. Your family must be as proud as can be. I havent been around Lake St.Clair long enough to have seen the boat up here but I know plenty of people that have and will ask around when I run into some of them. Im betting that we will unearth some of the history of this wild machine.
-----Ed is correct on the 454. 454s werent built until the year of 1969 for the model year of 70. While an earlier big-block could have been modified to this size it is not possible that the boat came originally with a 454. As a matter of fact all the early V-drives I have ever seen in 18s were of the Holman-Moody (Ford) variety. I have seen a few Hornets (19ft) with big-block power from the factory, though. This boat could have started out Ford powered and not satisfied the owner speed wise so around 1970/71 when 454s started appearing in marine livery, been converted to Chebby power. Many, many possibilities. It will be interesting to dig into the history.........Bill S

Donziweasel
11-29-2006, 09:23 AM
MellowYellow- Whatever the year, your husband obviously loved this boat. To have levers for ballast and quick drain is pretty inovative and unique, along with a transmission that could be reved and then dropped for a hole shot. He must have spent a lot of time on her. I hope your boys know what kind of a unique classic boat they are getting and take good care of her. I am sure you are probably gonna get some members here asking you to name a price for her!:wink: On top of it all, if your numbers are right, you have the fastest 18 I ever heard of. I kinda doubt 114 mph, but even if it ran in the 90's, it is still one of the fastest 18's I ever heard of. Don't get me wrong, I am not sure if 114 is doable in a normally aspirated engine, but I am definetly not an expert on the top end of an 18. If it is possible, then it is pretty dangerous and I am not sure I would want a ride at that speed.

hardcrab
11-29-2006, 02:40 PM
may I ask if there is any documentation IE: title, registration ?
this would be the first place to look for the model year ( what am I missing here ? )

Rootsy
11-29-2006, 02:42 PM
the back shot of that dash and the number 237 makes it a 68.... (what am i missing here????)

noisynova
11-29-2006, 05:37 PM
Is it possible that the engine could be a 427?

hardcrab
11-29-2006, 05:56 PM
the back shot of that dash and the number 237 makes it a 68.... (what am i missing here????)
How does the code work? ; How does 237 = a '68?

also, wouldn't an old registration or the title have the year stated ?

mellowyellow
11-29-2006, 08:30 PM
The number on the gear drive is: E5 132 NR4 and way to the right 124

Once again, thanks for all the interest and help

Is there anything else we can look up

Ginny

BERTRAM BOY
11-29-2006, 09:04 PM
How does the code work? ; How does 237 = a '68?
also, wouldn't an old registration or the title have the year stated ?

237= a 1968 because Flatracer's speadsheet of 18's says so. Also some early Donzi's were built way before they were titled, so old registration may not be accurate.

mellowyellow
11-29-2006, 09:11 PM
Thanks guys for all the compliments on my husbands behalf. He had a pretty clever mind and was real good with his hands. He was a general contractor and did it all and lucky or unlucky for me I followed suit and learned way more than I wanted to in the construction end. Too many tools put in my hands!

As for the question about the registration I can't remember the story of why the registration doesn't have a year on it but for some reason it doesn't and that is why we are not sure on the year. My husband bought that boat before I met him and I met him in 77. I know he had the boat for a few years before me as I heard plenty of wild stories from all his friends who were ratting on him. Shame on them, right! Anyway, I have the pleasure of plenty of my own stories. I know for a fact that boat could open up to 90 because I have been it and felt the speed. Like I said before my husband should have died way before he did because he sure tested the limits. I may be crazy but it seemed the faster you went the more the boat liked it. Is that possible? Oh, and does she like to jump. Even tho it scared the pants off me, it sure is a thrill to fly thru the air. I know why my sons love it so much. As far as I know it only had one other owner and that must have been the person in the St. Clair area and like my son stated since it had a number on both sides of it that my husband took off we believe it was a race boat.
One summer my husband was supposed to buy me a pontoon boat so I could have something sensible to use on the lake. Well, that didn't happen so I told him he just ha to teach me how to drive the donzi. He looked at me like I was nuts. At that time it had the carburator system on it. Well, to his surprise I could drive that baby just fine. I have to admit tho I hated the noise. it's not for cruising thats for sure and of course that is what I wanted to do. I think it was more my independance more than anything that kicked in as I was going to be able to be on the lake it didn't matter what boat I was in. Oh, youth! To be ther again! And, if you were just learning how to ski, that was the boat, no drag you were just up! However if you weren't, well it might not be pleasant.
Let me share this with all of you who might think I would sell it. I have endured alot of financial hardship in the last few years due to many things, not important for here. I chose to keep the boat for this reason. It would have made sense to sell it but this is my feeling. At some point I hope to meet someone and have a different life. Hopefully as well I hope my sons meet some interesting gals and get married and have their own lives. We will all have different homes at some point and who knows maybe be in different states, seems to be the way of the world anymore. I can't bring back their dad or replace what they lost when they lost him, but what I could give them was the closest thing to him being here and that is that boat. No matter where they end up in life, they will have the boat and when they get in it they are with their dad. They have done a great job keeping it up. It could use some things done to it but it all takes money and that will have to wait for now. Good thing is it's not going anyway and it is under roof so for now it is being taken care of. I don't think my sons would sell it. Sorry guys!

Ginny

SideshowRob
11-29-2006, 10:10 PM
I've been following this post for a while now and is great to see everyone trying to help fill in all the blanks here, it is quite an interesting story.
Ginny I really liked your last post, and I can tell that the boat will be staying in the family. Good for you, it sounds like an important part of the family.
I look forward to reading more.

p.s. It sounds like your husband was a facinating man, and I think he would have been a regular on the site.

Rob M.

mellowyellow
11-29-2006, 11:05 PM
Rob,
Yes my husband was an interesting guy. We laugh because he was full of the bull. He always had a story. I think when you live life to the fullest your bound to have stories. Couch potatoes don't have much to say, do they?
It was interesting to me to hear all the different ways my husband touched people after he died. In some ways I had no idea. It's the funny thing of life. What really caught me off guard was how much he talked about me to others.
Now, if he would have only shared that same enthusiam with me, well I might not have had a headache so often, lol!!!! I think you guys know what I am talking about, haha. We were the typical married couple, good times, bad times, fun times not so fun times, all of it, the only difference we were both from families that were old school and that meant working it out. Not easy sometmes but I think worth it.
Anything worth having is worth working for!
I am enjoying this adventure researching the boat as well. Donzi lovers are so much fun. We once had a donzi party at our lake home when we lived on the lake. At the time there were about 5 donzi's of different sorts on the lake and they all came and docked in front of our cottage. I made donzi flags all down the pier and it was just alot of fun. I sure miss those days. When you loose your significant other your life certainly changes. Quite honestly it sucks! but it does go on.
I am attaching a photo I think everyone will get a kick out of. My first Xmas present from my husband was our dog Tasha and probably the best prsent I ever got from him. She was a Siberian Huskie mix and certainly had her own personality. She loved to go around the lake on the front of the boat like a hood ornament. This photo however has both of us on the front, in our best model poses of course!. Man would I like to look like that again!

Glad your enjoying the posts........Ginny

Dr. Dan
11-30-2006, 06:52 AM
:cool!: Ginny, I am intrigued by your knowledge and persistance in making relationships work....although never the easiest path...you will find for the most part... we here are a fairly family oriented group with traditional values and great work ethics.

I would like to suggest that you consider coming to Lake George New York this coming Fathers Day, we have our Annual Spring DustOff which is reserved for Donzi Classics...and it has some of the most knowledgeable people attending this Event this year.

If you could bring the Boat, it would be awesome...and as it would be Fathers Day...I think it might be a neat Tribute to the Passion your Husband and Boys obviously shared with you and the Donzi! :wink:

If you check out our Events Section you will find more specifics... but I can assure you, you all will instantly make extended Family Members there. The DustOff is one of the oldest Donzi Gatherings in the Country...and many here keep the tradition alive and kicking...in more ways than I care to mention...but we are a unique group.:beer:

The Donzi Registry is the catalyst for forging many relationships in all of our lives here...we are an opinionated group...but we also protect our own and appreciate the insanity of the obsession of Donzi ownership...

If you have any direct questions regarding the Events or need direction as to who to talk to about this or that....this is the place to ask. :smash:

Good Luck and We Hope to meet you and your boys this Spring. :wavey:

Doc
717-512-3656 Cell :spongebob

mellowyellow
11-30-2006, 08:30 AM
Hi Doc,
I will certainly put that on my calendar. I know my boys would love it. And, we would definetly bring the boat if we can make it. I am being challenged again as my dad was just diagnosed with lung cancer the same thing that took my husband. He is 87 so it's not like he hasn't lived a full life it's just I am dreading what might be in front of me. It would be so neat if he was in good enough health to come with us. He lives in Welland, Ontario so we could just swing by and pick him up. Oh, I know he would be proud as a peacock to be there with his grandsons. So, we will just have to pray he can make it. It would be a great way to celebrate Father's Day with him. We lost my mom a year after my husband died so it has been a rough transition for my dad and all of us for that matter. It would be bittersweet to make it to the event.

Thanks again for mentioning it, gives us something fun to look forward to.
Ginny

BUIZILLA
11-30-2006, 08:40 AM
Ginny, the LG event is a spectacular surrounding, and for sure is fit for your style boat. The heritage is phenominal... In fact, it's a classic ONLY event....

We all would enjoy your's, and your family's company.

Jim

Dr. Dan
11-30-2006, 07:56 PM
:spongebob

Ginny, I happen to have a very close relationship to Santa, and well just so happens he is a serious Donzi Fan! Yep and he often asks me if I know good people who might like some really cool Donzi Gear for Christmas...and well it's my job to see that the right girls and boys get the right stuff and all!

Sooooooooooo I was just curious....what size would you and your Boys Wear if they were to be fitted for say a Windshirt, Fleece, or a Polo or whatever? I might be able to get the message to Saint Nick....of course make sure you include your sizes as well. Feel free to private mail me the specifics...especially a Mailing address for Santa!

Merry Christmas

Doc of Elf Like Random Behavior :wavey:

mellowyellow
11-30-2006, 11:14 PM
Wow, I am just blown away. How cool is this! Just like God knew I needed my faith restored in people. It's been a rough couple of weeks lately. I swear sometimes I feel like I am on a different planet when dealing with some people so this is so refreshing and such a surprise. Wait till my sons find out because earlier tonight we were talking about going to Lake George and the boys are really excited about meeting all the other donzi lovers. However, they are bummed that the boat isn't quite in the shape they would like it to be in to be showing it off. I have this feeling tho they will find a way to make some extra money between now and then to get that boat where it needs to be. All three of us are in major life changes so Lake George just might be what we all need.
Now, for the shirts, here's a funny thing. We were also talking about what cool clothes we might wear if we come to Lake George. I am an accomplished sewer and have made many things over the years and I was picking their brains for ideas of something cool I could make that says Mellow Yellow and donzi on it. In our one lake home I made roman shades for the boys room that had donzi's hand painted on the fabric. They were really cool, in fact I still have them and thought about turning them into wall hangings. Just one of those things you plan on doing and never get done but maybe now I will just have to make a point of it. We really are donzi fans.
The boys also have a donzi regazza in the back yard that is all apart that needs to be put back together. PJ is very mechanical and has the ability to do it, right now it is just a matter of having the available time. They got the boat because a friend of ours son and PJ were going to restore it together. Well, lots of things happened, and one thing lead to another and the next thing we knew we ended up with the boat. It has been kinda a pain in the butt as we have had to make room to store it, but ya know the love of donzi's and how hard it is to part with one. So, it sits patiently for the day PJ and Chad will have time to come to it's rescue. It will be a great investment of their time when they do get to it.
Funny thing too, I was also thinking earlier how I feel like a part of a new family even tho I don't know any of you personally. Somehow I can feel the commadery amongst everyone when I read different posts and I am so glad I decided to get online and help my sons with this research. Once again I think there has been some divine guidance here. Not sure where it will lead me but enjoying the adventure so far.
thanks Santa!!!!!!!

Rebel Waltz
06-22-2009, 01:43 PM
I tried to send this as a private message, but your box was full.

Ginny,

My name is Todd Meszaros. My father is Gearld (Jerry) Meszaros. My family had a condo at Colony Bay (#24) from
1975 - 1984, we used the condo in the summer every weekend. After my folks sold the condo they had a house on the lake near your old house.

Anyway, my dad knew Paul as well as myself. We were the people at CB with our own pier! Back then my family had
a 1972 Marlin Jet Boat that was purple/red/blue metal flake (dad's only), pontoon, 1950's Chris Craft inboard woody,
fishing boat, and a Viking Deck Boat.

My dad has been friends with Dick Szado (Shaker Racing) for 50 years.

Okay, I hope that is enough background info for you. I saw your post and asked my dad for some help. My dad was big
into boat racing...he still has many custom cars and motorcycles to this day. According to my dad's memory: Paul
bought the boat outside of Detroit in 1974. He is pretty sure that Mellow Yellow was 1968 2+3. MY was a offshore
race boat when Paul bought her. There was a Number 1 painted on each side (black Number 1 with a white oval).
The name Mellow Yellow used to have music notes floating around the text. MY had a carburetor system while
we had our Diamond Lake place's. Paul, Tasha, My dad and myself would race a couple times a year. They would race
from Diamond Lake Marina to Colony Bay. My dad's Jet Boat would beat MY past the island, but Paul and Tasha would
fly by us 3/4 of the way to CB. I don't think anyone ever beat MY in a full out race. A lot of people from the public
access would be knocking at our door with a hot boat wanting to race. I know that they were also knocking on Paul's door.
I saw my dad and Paul blow ALL OF THEM OUT OF THE WATER! Sheriff Louie Beehler clocked us a 92 M.P.H.. He clocked Paul at 112 M.P.H., with Tasha on the bow! This was a rough day on the lake! My dad helped work on the motor with
Dick and Paul. My dad thinks MY had 427 ci, and later switched to a 454. The 427 was too high compression to run as a
cruiser, but he said he wasn't sure anymore. I know MY was very fast! MY also sunk once at your pier. I remember Paul using some tube and a air compressor to get out. I'm pretty sure Paul installed a lift. Paul also built a different bilge pump to keep this from happening again.

Cruising through Sail Bay with my dad and stopping at Paul's pier is one of my most fondest memories as a child.
Paul was a great man and was "full of the bull". I am sorry to hear that he has passed! I always knew when MY was
cruising around the lake by her unique sound! I had been in MY many times as a child (I was six in 1977)and loved the boat. Paul gave a me a set of keys to hold on for him incase he lost his. I still have them. I doubt they are actually for MY, but, to me they will always be the keys to a bad ass boat and a wonderful childhood on Diamond Lake...filled with wonderful
people like Paul.

All the best,
Todd

PS: Paul was always trying to flip the boat over.......

smbarcelow
08-15-2009, 09:14 AM
What a great thread! :)

lilypadhoppr
06-05-2011, 11:19 PM
When I was a kid, I went for a ride in this boat on Diamond Lake.
Wow, amazing i found the pictures of it....Sorry to learn of your loss.