PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Lug Nut Locks

RedDog
11-24-2006, 07:53 AM
My son's Jeep Wrangler was stolen last week and then recovered this week. The thief took the stereo and the spare tire which was secured to the mounting rack with a wheel lug lock. To remove the lug requires the use of a special socket that matches a pattern on the lug nut. The special socket was not recovered along with he Jeep so now the 4 wheels are permanently locked on. How do I remove the wheel locks without the socket?

As an aside, when the Jeep was recovered it had a working ignition key / door lock key. How did a guy from the projects get a matching key. He was arrested when the police found the Jeep parked at a store. He was standing beside the Jeep when the police spotted it. He tried to tell them he hadn't been driving it but the store's security camera showed him pulling up in it.

Carl C
11-24-2006, 08:19 AM
I've removed quite a few of these when working as a mechanic. Usually an air chisel will work. I've cut off some with a torch but this is hard without damaging the wheel. If there is a Craftsman tool then I'd try that if you don't have an air chisel available. (you use the chisel inside the socket to walk it around, not to cut it off):wrench:

justleft
11-24-2006, 09:15 AM
Any tire store has removed hundreds of locking lug nuts.
Just take the jeep in.

With the new removal sockets so available the value of the
locking lug nuts are zero. IMHO

Cuda
11-24-2006, 10:10 AM
I've done it like Poodle says, only I drive an impact socket on them.

wrussellw
11-24-2006, 01:17 PM
Been there too. This what I used on my son's.

http://www.toolking.com/category/productInfo.seam?productid=6850&nextag=M980