PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing Advice Needed

apollo24
11-22-2006, 09:52 AM
Guys,

I plan on running my X throughout the winter, perhaps twice a month. Is there anything I should really be doing besides unscrewing the freeze plugs between uses? I live in Jackson, MS and we do see a good bit of below freezing days and nights. Should I be doing anything with the carb, etc.?

Any advice would be great.

RedDog
11-22-2006, 11:18 AM
You should have a drain plug (not freeze plugs) on each side of the block and on each manifold. You may also have one on your oil or power steering cooler if applicable to your setup. Depending on your weather and dependability of your power grid you might could just use a bilge heater / heatlamp.

If you are running it a couple of times a month, I wouldn't worry about the fuel system / carb at all.

apollo24
11-22-2006, 11:21 AM
Thanks, so no worrying with the carb/fuel system, huh? I presume that I should keep the tank full as well. How about fuel stabilizers and such?

wrussellw
11-22-2006, 11:42 AM
I put some StaBil in my tank starting around November. I use my boats year round also, but sometimes I might go a month or two during the winter without using them.

MOP
11-22-2006, 12:15 PM
Doubt if it gets cold enough "long enough" but if you have an on engine sea water pump you need to losen the cover plate to drain it to be safe.

Phil

apollo24
11-22-2006, 01:40 PM
Doubt if it gets cold enough "long enough" but if you have an on engine sea water pump you need to losen the cover plate to drain it to be safe.
Phil

I do have one. Thanks, I will definitely do that. I guess I need to order a gasket for it once I loosen it....

glashole
11-22-2006, 02:56 PM
heated shop

generator back-up :wink: