PDA

View Full Version : Procharger for 7.4 MPI

FlyingDutchman76
11-22-2006, 02:34 AM
Would like some feedback on a Procharger installed on a Mercruiser 7.4MPI How does it work ? Still reliable ? Any problems ? Performance ?

I am in need of more power for my 22 Classic. I am checking into an engine swap with a DynoFlo 540 or just have a Procharger installed. All replies and suggestions are greatly appreciated and considered.

The Hedgehog
11-22-2006, 02:31 PM
Works great on my 502MPI. Easy on the drive and gives a nice strong surge at 4,000 rpm. Did it around this time last year. I live on a lake and we ride around 6 mos of the year. So far so good. I am probably somewhere around 600hp (procharger says 630 or so). Starts and runs like a stock 502. At least until the boost comes on then look out.

That will probably be your best bang for the buck.

whitedevil
11-22-2006, 09:33 PM
where can i find some info on a procharger for a 2003 496 HO motor
for a 26' ZX

LKSD
11-23-2006, 08:11 AM
where can i find some info on a procharger for a 2003 496 HO motor
for a 26' ZX

Devil,
Gimme a shout after turkey day.. I am a Procharger distributor & installer.. We are having currently having a year end sale now too! :) Jamie / Lakeside 570-639-2628

Dutch,
I cant really tell you anything regarding this question other than what I already have thru the last few emails & calls we had. Other than really continually emphasizing that #1 everything in moderation & #2 You gotta go with what fits your budget and needs.. If I can help you within reason beyond that please let me know.. :) J

Have a good Thanksgiving everyone.. :)

BigGrizzly
11-23-2006, 11:50 AM
Johan, as you and my son discussed that engine has issues with the heads and a supercharger. If you do like him it may be safe. Frank C did his and It lasted years with out issue thoe, but he didn't beat it either. The best thing is to call ATI Procharger and talk directly to them. They will be honest with you and they have more info than JW or me on that subject

FlyingDutchman76
11-23-2006, 04:03 PM
Randy and Jamie,

Thank you for your replies. I am a little worried that if we install a procharger to the Mercruiser 7.4MPI it will not hold up. There is a lot of money involved with an engine swap, but am still undecided what I will do.

catch 22
11-23-2006, 05:30 PM
Works great on my 502MPI. Easy on the drive and gives a nice strong surge at 4,000 rpm. Did it around this time last year. I live on a lake and we ride around 6 mos of the year. So far so good. I am probably somewhere around 600hp (procharger says 630 or so). Starts and runs like a stock 502. At least until the boost comes on then look out.
That will probably be your best bang for the buck.
I have a 1998 454mpi mag with a M3 5psi and i agree with Big Green. It runs like a stocker until the boost comes in. Great dock manners and easy on the parts. I have had mine on for about 2 1/2 yrs and still runs great. HP is somewhere in the 575/600 range. Good Luck Jim

DAULEY
11-24-2006, 07:58 AM
on scream and fly there is a pro charger for sale for 1500 for a 454 demo unit
good price

The Hedgehog
11-24-2006, 08:24 AM
Talking to ProCharger can be a mixed bag. It totally depends on who you get on the phone. Some are very good and really understand their product. Some don't (probably are more familier to auto products). My mechanic tried it a few times that then ended up talking to Jamie. Got much better results there.

As far as after install experience, there is nothing like talking to the end users.

LKSD
11-24-2006, 08:26 PM
Talking to ProCharger can be a mixed bag. It totally depends on who you get on the phone. Some are very good and really understand their product. Some don't (probably are more familier to auto products). My mechanic tried it a few times that then ended up talking to Jamie. Got much better results there.
As far as after install experience, there is nothing like talking to the end users.

Thanks.. :) Jamie

LKSD
11-29-2006, 05:59 PM
Hey, I've got a novel idea here: why dont we stop the "call me, PM me, send me smoke signals" and just discuss the pros and cons here for all to see and LEARN??

You are correct there are many times I dont post publicly in too much detail because it is easier to talk to someone to discuss all their options. To be honest I spend 2hrs in the am and 2 hours in the pm responding to all my emails. It is impossible for me to type a book (especially with my typing skills). It is much easier for the people that are interested in more info to call me.:wink:

JW, I dont think Randy meant it as a slam.. He has spent hours, hell, weeks if not months, on the dyno with various superchargers and engines.. On the dyno... And I know he has had good results consulting with ATI's folks regarding boat and car applications. As far as his results, you really need to ride in his Critter :) :)

I agree the dyno is the best way to go. That is why I have a dyno for testing in my shop and my engine builders have their own dynos as well. However getting a customer to spring for the coin to have it dyno tested or dyno tuned is sometimes another story. I always do offer it to my customers if applicable. Jamie :) :cool:

Rootsy
11-30-2006, 06:25 AM
As far as his results, you really need to ride in his Critter :) :) isn't that the truth... :eek!: :boat: :lightning