PDA

View Full Version : Got snowmobile?

Donziweasel
11-21-2006, 05:42 PM
Just picked up my new baby today- 2007 Arctic Cat M-1000. My wife also got hers, a 2007 Arctic Cat M-8. Probably going to ride this weekend. Anyone riding yet? If anyone is interested in info about riding in Jackson Hole, let me know. Although I love to ski, snowmobiling is my winter passion. Below are some pics of my new "beast".

Patti
11-21-2006, 05:50 PM
Ohhh..WY is gorgeous in the winter!

Having lived in Co Springs i've been to Wyoming in the winter...

I wanna go!

Maybe we can talk Jamie into coming out one winter!! ;)

Hope you and boo boo have a wonderful holiday John!!

Donziweasel
11-21-2006, 05:58 PM
Thanks Patti, we would love to have you. Boo Boo's parents are in town so we have been pretty busy entertaining. Come on out one winter. I get free sleds for freinds and I am sure that Jamie could, in about 5 minutes, figure out how to make a stock rental sled go twice as fast!:) When does the mighty hunter come home?

Patti
11-21-2006, 06:30 PM
John! :)

Ohh..sounds wonderful! and you and I BOTH know that Jamie would somehow find a way to ame things bigger and badder lol

I talked to him earlier this afternoon...so far no deer..it's unusually warm up there...actually warmer there than here...close to 50 for him :eek!: ..not the best hunting weather.

He should be home late Saturday night...which is why we'll be doing Thanksgiving Sunday.

Send boo boo my best :)

Donziweasel
11-21-2006, 06:49 PM
Boo Boo is currently cleaning feverishly as her parents are coming over tonight for Elk tenderloin. She says hello and wants to get on the boards. She loves the Donzi as much as me, well, maybe not quite as much, ok, she just likes it:bonk: can you think of a good sign in name for her?

Patti
11-21-2006, 07:15 PM
Well tell her to come on!

Tell her to feel free to get in contact with me anytime :)

I havent tried the Elk yet!

Donziweasel
11-22-2006, 09:59 AM
We made it throught the elk feast! Has Jamie tried the Elk? Did he take any on his trip? Boo Boo said she will contact you when the parents have gone back to Mobile. BTW, do you and Jamie ski?

Patti
11-22-2006, 10:41 AM
I just spoke to him...

He got a good sized Doe yesterday..so last night they went to town for Pizza and beer to celebrate...though they're having generator issues...they're working on fixing it at the moment ;)

I've never skiied...Jamie has though :)

Jamie said to tell you hi...he'll talk to you when he gets home...im not sure if he's had the elk..he did take some with him...they were gonna grill..he said he was looking forward to having some...that much I do know ;)

Tell Margi I look forward to heariing from her! :)

If I dont talk to you..have a wonderful holiday :)

tiger lily
11-22-2006, 04:14 PM
i love riding sleds, im going to miss out on this season but next year i should be able to get a ride in i hope, hopefully ill be able to sneak a quick day trip in this xmas though, thinking about a new sled, but i really like my current one even though its pretty old

Donziweasel
11-22-2006, 06:37 PM
Matt, why are you going to miss out on this season? Ever ridden out in Wyoming?

SideshowRob
11-22-2006, 10:45 PM
Here's my fleet. Actually the Enticer is gone (Sled at front of garage) I bought it to fix and sell. The light blue one at the back is a 1969 Sno-Cruiser. I actually bought that for my girlfriend for Valentines Day a couple years ago... She loves it. The one beside it a 1968-69 Snobug. Single ski, rear engine, all aluminum. Made right here in Sudbury in the 60's and 70's. And of course the old SRX. I'll race an F7, on ice, my sled hates anything more than 4" of snow. That's what the bug is for :cool:

SideshowRob
11-22-2006, 10:55 PM
Actually here's a before and after of the Enticer.

Donziweasel
11-23-2006, 09:57 AM
Those sleds are incredible! Ever entered them in a contest? There is a good vintage sled show out here every March.

tiger lily
11-23-2006, 09:33 PM
Matt, why are you going to miss out on this season? Ever ridden out in Wyoming?

im in dive school in florida until dec.22, then i might go back to michigan for xmas, then its off to the south to get a job, so i might be able to squeak a quick day in after xmas , have never rode out west but its on my list of things to do, i mostly ride in michigan and canada

Donziweasel
11-27-2006, 03:10 PM
It is aboslutly puking snow right now. Forecast is for 10 inches on the valley with 20-25 inches in the mountains. Looks like sno mo this weekend.

Rootsy
11-28-2006, 07:05 AM
no snow yet in michigan... maybe by christmas... lord knows the UP economy could use it...

with the economy downstate there are A LOT of sleds for sale, sled trailers and duramax and superduties.... if you thought boating was expensive... you should visit the other side of the bridge about feb 1st... it is nothing to see a 50K truck pulling a 20K enclosed with another 60 - 80K worth of sleds inside... 4 or 5 guys crammed in the cab and about 10K worth of gear stuffed in the bed.... heading north friday after the whistle blows to sled, eat and ummm many drink for 1 day and head back home.. and do it all over again the next weekend... it is mind boggling... but a way of life... and we're talking a 8 - 12 hour drive each way to get to deep snow and well groomed trails...

when i was in school (ahh good ole Houghton) it was a pretty impressive and intriquing sight when there were more sleds in town than there were cars...

i btw grew up riding a John Deere JDX 8 440 liquifire whew the good ole days... lucky i still have all of my teeth in my head.. suspension is a wonderful thing

If i lived north i'd own a sled without a second thought... i had an old beat up kawasaki 440 to tool around on in college and i;d ride that thing everywhere.. the ole pickup hardly moved all winter...

BTW John, those new 1 litre mountain sleds are some super frickin wicked machines... that tunnel seems to go on forever with that 162 inch track hanging out there... my buddy has an 02 or 03 800 M-Cat that he bought for a song as a leftover sled in 04. I thought that thing was impressive til i saw the new M-Cats in person.... heck i would be happy with his fathers F-7....

have fun in the snow eh...

Donziweasel
11-28-2006, 09:22 AM
Jamie, I now really appreciate the fact that I can basically go 20 minutes down the road and access over 5 million acres of backcountry. I see the same groups of people with the F-350 loaded to the hilt, 6 place enclosed trailer and god knows how nice a sleds are inside. Most have Michigan, Dakota, Minnesota, or Wisconsin plates. I meet many people on the trails ( I always stop and help people broke down or stuck, it is just good karma) and I speak with a lot of these people. Most have said that they have not had good snow in a few years, so they come on out here for a few days of riding. Everyone is usualy blown away by the terrian, beauty and riding. My hat goes off to them, if there is no snow at home, load up and come out.

Having lived here for 13 years, I am always amazed at how snowmobile technology is progressing. 5 years ago, a typical powder sled weighed 550 pounds and had 110 horsepower. Now, they are weighing from 450-500 pounds with power in the 140-170 range, depending on the setup. Sleds can go places they never dreamed in the past and climb stuff that would make a Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep think twice. The new thing is sno mo skiing. You drag someone up a ridge with a ski rope and they ski the face while you ride around and meet them at the base. This would not have been possible with technology 5 years ago. Great way to ski powder all day without the crowds at our ski resorts. Suspensions have also come a long way. Fox float shocks, tracks, and skiis have all be revolunized. They stay up on the hills, track in the powder, and handle much better than 5 years ago. Trust me, you will keep all your teeth! They are adjustable for track travel, stiffness, and ski stance.

Currently, my M-1000 153 track sled is rated at 505 pounds with around 168 hp( I went for the 153 instead of the 162 because although the 162 might be a hair better in the powder, you are going to pay dearly on the trail). I already ordered a y pipe, can , exhuast and boondocker efi controller(don't want to go too lean an blow her). Hoping to push the power to over 190 (should be close) and lighten her up to around 480 pounds. I have a M-7 also with a big bore kit, nitrous, reeds, can, pipe, pipe, boondocker, and other fun stuff. It is about 460 pounds with 175 non-nitrous ponies. Hit the shiney red button and your over 200. It is my backup sled. I am just learning boating mechanics, but have been working on and tuning sleds for a long time. Still a little behind on clutching (trust me, on a sled, it is an art!).

Now, Jamie, someone told me you are afraid of state lines:eek!: :) :bonk: . What do we have to do to get you out here for some fun in the deep powder?:cool: I have access to free M-7's and 8's and I know you would love to beat on one of those for a few days!:)

Donziweasel
11-28-2006, 09:52 AM
Here are a few pics from last years carnage-

Donziweasel
12-03-2006, 07:13 AM
Finally got to ride yesterday! My wife and I, plus three other friends, went out on the new sleds. You have to mix some oil in the fuel and run a full tank out at 1/2 throttle to break them in. So, we decided to cruise down the Greys River, 40 miles into the backcountry to break them in. Weather was chilly but the sun was out and we were the first ones out on this stretch (no tracks from other sleds yet). About 35 miles in, we ran into a herd of about 150 Elk. Pretty cool. The only compliant was that some A*&Hole decided to try and drive his pickup in there. For about 20 miles, huge ruts in the trail that were a little hard to ride on. Finally saw his truck buried to the axles in snow. Engine was cold and no driver, so it had been there a few days. Not sure how the hell he is going to get it out, might be there until spring. The M-1000 was absolutly amazing. On the way out decided to open her up once and hit 97 MPH before I back out(gps). Still had more but I had no more balls to push it!:) :bonk: :eek!: