PDA

View Full Version : Prop Shop Reconditioning

fasttrucker
11-21-2006, 04:29 PM
I talked to Throttle-up today.They are not going to change the pitch on my prop that I sent them.They are keeping it a 26" pitch.They said it looks like someone thinned-out the middle the blades and they cant add pitch.So they are doing a lite reconditioning job and shipping it back.Since Iam adding alum. heads and new 605hp cam this winter it might be for the best.Get the prop back on next spring and use it as a base line to see if I need to buy a different size prop.Matching the rpm to h.p. band.

d1mbu1b
11-22-2006, 01:43 PM
Have you considerred changing the amount of cupping
to match your desired RPMs?

You can reduce your WOT rpms without
changing pitch by adding more cupping.

The way I understand it,
more cupping = less slip which gets
you closer to the theoretical top speed.

fasttrucker
11-23-2006, 10:49 AM
Have you considerred changing the amount of cupping
to match your desired RPMs?
You can reduce your WOT rpms without
changing pitch by adding more cupping.
The way I understand it,
more cupping = less slip which gets
you closer to the theoretical top speed.
Yes,I should have mentioned that they are putting in a cup/cupping.The donzi should stop bouncing right?

BigGrizzly
11-23-2006, 11:13 AM
Sorry but once you lab your stuck. Be awhare too much cup does strange things. I doubt if the added cup since you had some before, will give desired results. In reality at some RPM your hull is going to bounce that is the nature of the beast.

fasttrucker
11-24-2006, 05:09 PM
Sorry but once you lab your stuck. Be awhare too much cup does strange things. I doubt if the added cup since you had some before, will give desired results. In reality at some RPM your hull is going to bounce that is the nature of the beast.
I was running with a velocity,the guy put on a set of headers and added a tilt helm.He said those were the only upgrades to his boat.Anyway,we were in flat water and running even. I noticed that he was not bouncing as much as me.He has a pad bottom on the velocity.What can you do to a prop that will help lift the front(bow) on a 1998 28zx with a stepped bottom?.add some cup?

BigGrizzly
11-25-2006, 12:54 AM
Sounds like you have a BravoI prop. Before I go father on flat water the pad bottom will ride flatter, inrough I would much rather be in your boat!! Your going to need more rake too. Another type of prop is in order, wait untill the motor is done and broken in. We can go from there. What I think is happining is the stern is squatting. Don't pay so much attention to what others look like it is very deceiving. You have a Donzi and can always get home in the rough they can't. In rough stuff size does matter.

LKSD
11-25-2006, 09:28 AM
I'd rather sacrifice a couple mph in flat water to be faster & safer in the rough too.. :yes:

I do agree with the common consensus, You would be better waiting until the engine stuff is done.. J :)

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
11-25-2006, 11:19 AM
FTRUCK
a couple things, if they made that comment about the prop I sold you it came from them new, so how can they say that ??? I gave you the receipt which showed what I paid them.. odd..
Being familiar with your hull I would say most of the bounce is in the driver and how much positive trim you have in and how you set the K-Planes.
Each day presents a different setting sweet spot in rougher water/chop, so play around with it.
So many people over trim the drive... I prefer to control the nose of my boat with the drives vice K-Planes. IMHO the Donzi stepped hulls need little trim, on the 33ZX if I go past 2 or 2.5 I actually see the GPS speed fall.
Take care.
Bryan

Picture of my favorite Donzi attached! :)

fasttrucker
11-25-2006, 11:25 AM
I'd rather sacrifice a couple mph in flat water to be faster & safer in the rough too.. :yes:
I do agree with the common consensus, You would be better waiting until the engine stuff is done.. J :)
Yes,that is the plan.Wait till spring!I should be getting my prop back soon from Throttle-up:crossfing and it will sit in its box till next year.At least it cant be stolen off the boat yard.I put a sterndrive lock on last season.As far as the velocity.I know the guy was trying to sell it.:yes: Not a ruff-water:boat:

fasttrucker
11-25-2006, 11:30 AM
FTRUCK
a couple things, if they made that comment about the prop I sold you it came from them new, so how can they say that ??? I gave the receipt which showed what I paid them.. odd..
Being familiar with your hull I would say most of the bounce is in the driver and how much positive trim you have in and how you set the K-Planes.
Each day presents a different setting sweet spot in rougher water/chop, so play around with it.
So many people over trim the drive... I preffer to control the nose of my boat with the drives vice K-Planes. IMHO the Donzi stepped hulls need little trim, on the 33ZX if I go past 2 or 2.5 I actually see the GPS speed fall.
Take care.
Bryan
Picture of my favorite Donzi attached! :)
I keep the trim tabs up and trim up the drive.If you over trim then you lose speed.My meck did something to the prop will talk to him.Dont get me wrong this prop rocks and Iam verry happy with it incredible midrange acceleration.

BigGrizzly
11-25-2006, 11:56 AM
Bryan, you have learned alot over the years I am proud of you. You have become a seasoned knolegeable boater. Four years ago you wouldn't have picked that up, good summation. Remember what I told you years ago about labing, its never their fault. You have always been honest and fair. After all I still have my head still attached to my body after we met I have been a little buisy but I will call!

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
11-25-2006, 12:36 PM
Bryan, you have learned alot over the years I am proud of you. You have become a seasoned knolegeable boater. Four years ago you wouldn't have picked that up, good summation. Remember what I told you years ago about labing, its never their fault. You have always been honest and fair. After all I still have my head still attached to my body after we met I have been a little buisy but I will call!

Griz, yes, I have educated myself well since 1999, just ask my wallet, learned 2 things for every mistake or bad judgement call.
I give many here the credit for that. FastTruck has a great ride, yet he is always tinkering.. I respect that. (HEY Truck, Steph and I spoke of the ZR up there, I emailed Woody!) LOL I would like to visit for a weekend in mid Dec, can you put me up for a night? :)

As I said in an early post, I no longer spend money on props, this boat came with Merc Labs and now I just pay $140 (for both) to have both cleaned at the end of the season.

Keep us posted Truck
BGRIZ, call any time, or PM me you number.

Bryan

BigGrizzly
11-25-2006, 05:27 PM
Bryan one thing I learned about you, once your a friend of yours you are for life. I have moved into my dream house on the lake with a new dock and two hydro lifts for the boats.

fasttrucker
11-26-2006, 04:01 PM
Griz, yes, I have educated myself well since 1999, just ask my wallet, learned 2 things for every mistake or bad judgement call.
I give many here the credit for that. FastTruck has a great ride, yet he is always tinkering.. I respect that. (HEY Truck, Steph and I spoke of the ZR up there, I emailed Woody!) LOL I would like to visit for a weekend in mid Dec, can you put me up for a night? :)
As I said in an early post, I no longer spend money on props, this boat came with Merc Labs and now I just pay $140 (for both) to have both cleaned at the end of the season.
Keep us posted Truck
BGRIZ, call any time, or PM me you number.
Bryan
O.K.... we have an x-tra bedroom here,just cant wait till you come down.Hope I can get a ride in that 35-zr:eek!: .Ive been inside it once at jacksons.Dont try to stand-up.:bonk:

fasttrucker
12-09-2006, 11:03 AM
Got my prop back from throttle-up.CLEAN CHECK AND BALANCE.Then CUP ONLY SS.Looks really nice like brand new.They gave me a nice discount total price was $119.86.Hope it works well next year.:crossfing

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
12-09-2006, 11:13 AM
FTRUCK... sounds great man. I hope is ok with the extra HP.
I got an email from Woody, I have not replied yet. I am going on Vacation for new years and plan to stop and eyeball this boat. I have yet to be in one, I am curious as to how deep the cockpits are.

Happy Holidays...

Bryan

fasttrucker
12-09-2006, 11:54 AM
FTRUCK... sounds great man. I hope is ok with the extra HP.
I got an email from Woody, I have not replied yet. I am going on Vacation for new years and plan to stop and eyeball this boat. I have yet to be in one, I am curious as to how deep the cockpits are.
Happy Holidays...
Bryan
The prop might work really well, as the motor will turn more rpm which is ok because i had the insides of the motor worked and blueprinted/balanced ect..Ill run with it at first,then try some different props.I was inside this 35zr in his showroom and if you are not overnighting in your 33zx now, then I dont see any problem.The sides are lower and the boat is light and fast.It is a nice looking donzi.They had it in the water at last years poker run as one of the stop boats.I yelled at him that I wanted to buy it.:)

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
12-09-2006, 12:29 PM
If you turn too many more RPM you will need to go to a 28P 4 Blade. Or one of the new 5 blades.... I am behind on reading, I am not sure the 5 blade design will give you the bow lift you need for your hull.... Did you discuss a 5 blade with the folks at throttle Up?

ZR: Are you referring to this white one or the one Woody has? Which one were you in?
I overnighted 5 times on the 33 this year, if I keep her I will do it more in the future.
I have to fix this damn microwave situation this winter..... It is out for now.
Bryan

fasttrucker
12-10-2006, 11:37 AM
Have to wait till spring on prop.The zr that I was in was not white.