PDA

View Full Version : Started the exhaust swap

Cuda
11-20-2006, 05:10 PM
I started to swap from the log exhaust to the Dana exhaust today. There are three hoses coming from the existing t stat into the existing exhaust. I only see where one hose is required on the Dana.

I took the riser and the hoses off first, then got the manifold bolts out pretty easily. I thought I was home free, but I can't get the manifolds loose from the heads. I've got PB Blaster soaking it overnight. I tried prying, pulling, and tried getting a cold chisel to separate it.

When I get one side off, I'm going to put the new exhaust on before doing the other side. I want to be sure it fits under the hatch first.

I was just amazed in how good of condition the old log exhaust was. No real signs of corrosion at all, the hose barbs weren't even corroded a bit.

Cuda
11-20-2006, 05:11 PM
Buizilla, do you have a picture of how your SM's are plumbed?

BUIZILLA
11-20-2006, 05:46 PM
Joe, how many bolts did you remove from each side?? I can't believe they are stuck...

Cuda
11-20-2006, 05:49 PM
Five.

Cuda
11-20-2006, 07:38 PM
The more I think about it, the more I think Jim might be on to something. I was taking some pretty good whacks at it with a BIG ball peen hammer, and it didn't budge. I was actually worried about shattering the cast iron.:eek!: I'll take a better look at it tomorrow. I drained the riser and manifold, so I wasn't exactly laying down in the bilge to check for bolts. :)

BUIZILLA
11-20-2006, 07:47 PM
Cuda, my 330 had 8 bolts per side... :wink:

mrfixxall
11-20-2006, 08:00 PM
The more I think about it, the more I think Jim might be on to something. I was taking some pretty good whacks at it with a BIG ball peen hammer, and it didn't budge. I was actually worried about shattering the cast iron.:eek!: I'll take a better look at it tomorrow. I drained the riser and manifold, so I wasn't exactly laying down in the bilge to check for bolts. :)

cuda i think you missed a few of the short bolts closer to the head

Cuda
11-20-2006, 08:32 PM
Cuda, my 330 had 8 bolts per side... :wink:
Yep, I think there are four more down lower. I didn't think that fifth bolt I took out looked like an exhaust bolt.:bonk:

Cuda
11-21-2006, 04:10 PM
It was amazing how much easier it came off once I removed the other three bolts.:bonk:

Cuda
11-21-2006, 04:13 PM
I'm pretty sure these are the original manifolds. I can't believe how good of shape they are in. Usually the hose barbs rot right off. In the one picture where you can see the finish a little boogered up by the hose barb, is where I was getting after it with that ball peen hammer yesterday. :smash:

I guess I should just be glad I couldn't get room to swing my sledge hammer at it.:bonk:

Cuda
11-21-2006, 04:15 PM
Buizilla, did you change your t stat housing? I spoke to Dana, they said I only need one hose to the exhaust. I was thinking of looping two of them back to the t stat housing. Does it make any difference which hose I run to the manifolds?

BUIZILLA
11-21-2006, 04:19 PM
I got rid of the circ pump and thermo housing, and went with the chrome pieces from SSM, plumbed accordingly.. if I get time tomorrow, i'll snap a couple pic's but it's pretty straightforward where everything goes.. weigh your old manifolds and risers for reference would ya..

JH

mrfixxall
11-21-2006, 04:40 PM
It was amazing how much easier it came off once I removed the other three bolts.:bonk:

me to,,and you didnt even brake the sparkplugs off lol

BigGrizzly
11-21-2006, 05:14 PM
That four hoae thing isn't necessary the older had one hose per side the 4 hose so they cool the riserd and manifold separetly for some reason, but a merc engineer said it didn't make any difference. when you split the water the water to the riser is cooler because it doesn't go through the manifold first. I like the circ pump because it keeps a more even temp through the block. After sitting in the bildge of several boats with a heat gun wizing accros the lake at 4500 I hav this to be true on 454 and 502 bb chevys. If some one wants to debate this first sit in yout bildge with a heat gun and do a matrix of the head and block on both sides then get back to me . This I will say it doesn't work the same on the dyno. Been there and don that.

mrfixxall
11-22-2006, 08:21 PM
Buizilla, did you change your t stat housing? I spoke to Dana, they said I only need one hose to the exhaust. I was thinking of looping two of them back to the t stat housing. Does it make any difference which hose I run to the manifolds?

Cuda, i have a used crossover and a thermostat housing if your interested..

Ill find them after the weekend and work up a price..

Cuda
11-22-2006, 09:29 PM
I was thinking on my ride today, I've got an extra t stat housing from an HP 500, and I've got an old style from an SBC. I'll check tomorrow and see if one will work.

Cuda
11-23-2006, 02:18 PM
The old exhaust had three water hoses running to the exhaust on each side. The new exhaust only needs one hose per side. I was thinking of just looping two of the hose back to the t stat, but I have these other three t stat housings here. The two on the right are from Hp 500's, the one on the left is an old style from a SBC. What should I use?

Cuda
11-23-2006, 02:19 PM
Present set up.

MOP
11-23-2006, 04:18 PM
Well you know you only need 2 hoses just to feed the water out of the block to the headers, you could plug the T outlet. Where the problem comes in is by passing enough water to the exhaust until the T stat opens, when I put the Gils on mine was to plug the T and drill a 5/16" hole in the Tstat. I ran the hell out of it with no problems, that was a 350 but it should work on yours but you may need to enlarge the hole to supply a tad more water.

Phil

RedDog
11-24-2006, 08:01 AM
The housing on my 502 Mag has 1 inlet from the recirc pump and 3 outlets - 1 to each manifold and 1 to the oil cooler.
see here -
http://www.dougrussell.com/partscatalog/components/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewparts&colid=04&coldesc=502%20MAG%2E%20MPI%20BRAVO%20%28GEN%20VI%2 9%20GM%20502%20V%2D8%201998&index=2690&block=140&BlockNumberList=30,10,150,190,180,170,70,60,250,28 0,130,260,110,100,90,120,0,230,210,270,240,160,80, 220,20,140,200,50,40

BigGrizzly
11-24-2006, 11:21 AM
RedDog that is from the oil cooler. The oiland PS cooler is befor raw water gets to the engine.

RedDog
11-24-2006, 11:57 AM
RedDog that is from the oil cooler. The oiland PS cooler is before raw water gets to the engine.

I stand corrected - you are exactly correct.

Anyway - only 1 hose to each manifold

Cuda
11-24-2006, 06:18 PM
I put a coat of wax, and put the fittings on one of the manifolds while I was watching football today.

Cuda
11-24-2006, 06:23 PM
Got one manifold installed today. The only problem I had was I had to remove one of the bolts that holds the alternator, because I have bolts that I've cut the heads off to hold the gaskets in place, while I slide the manifolds on. Once I slid it on, there was no problem putting the bolt back in. Went pretty smoothly for a change. I don't think I even cussed one time. :)

Cuda
11-24-2006, 06:27 PM
I didn't have the studs, or nuts to put the risers on, so I held them in place, to get a look at how much work getting the exhaust to the tips will be. It looks good side to side, but I have quite a drop to the tips. Depends on how flexible the hose is.

Cuda
11-24-2006, 06:29 PM
I hope I don't have to remove the valve covers very often. :(

Cuda
11-24-2006, 06:32 PM
I took a look at the other side, I may take it off tomorrow. I can see I'm going to have to make some kind of bracket to hold the fuel filter. Anyone have an idea?

Cuda
11-24-2006, 06:34 PM
View from above.

gcarter
11-24-2006, 08:43 PM
I didn't have the studs, or nuts to put the risers on, so I held them in place, to get a look at how much work getting the exhaust to the tips will be. It looks good side to side, but I have quite a drop to the tips. Depends on how flexible the hose is.
Why not get your Boat Dr. buddy to raise the transom location?

Cuda
11-24-2006, 08:55 PM
Why not get your Boat Dr. buddy to raise the transom location?
Money.

gcarter
11-24-2006, 09:48 PM
I could show you how.

BigGrizzly
11-25-2006, 12:42 AM
George get over there and help I'm getting up every day to read the results. those pipes look good. Cuda looks nice so far.

Cuda
11-25-2006, 06:55 AM
I could show you how.
George, get a grip, now which do you think I'd rather do, deal with some hose routing issues, or start drilling BIG holes in the boat?:wink:

BigGrizzly
11-25-2006, 11:46 AM
No holes please!!!

Cuda
11-25-2006, 05:37 PM
Don't worry Randy, they won't be any holes drilled in the boat.

Cuda
11-28-2006, 04:43 PM
I pulled the old exhaust off the starboard side today. I'm trying to figure on a way to mount the fuel filter. I may get a flexible line, and mount it on some stainless stock, then to the stringer.

Cuda
11-28-2006, 04:49 PM
I was looking at the height of the exhaust, and started wondering if the hatch was going to clear the risers. I measured, and it looked like it wouldn't, but I couldn't guess the curve of the hatch enough, so I found one stud to hold the riser on, I got in the bilge, and had Debbie slide the hatch in place.

It cleared, but just barely. I have maybe a quarter inch of clearance there, but like they say, a miss is good as a mile. :wink:

BUIZILLA
11-28-2006, 06:11 PM
Cuda, IMCO makes an S pipe for the drop to the transom outlets, check it out...

JH

RedDog
11-28-2006, 07:01 PM
...I got in the bilge, and had Debbie slide the hatch in place...

You know you're lucky she let you out - I guess she didn't want a carcass smelling up her boat :cool:

BigGrizzly
11-28-2006, 07:08 PM
she let you out, you must forgot to pay the insurance preimum. AN inch is as good as a mile in this case.

Cuda
11-28-2006, 09:07 PM
I'm still not sure what to do about plumbing the new exhaust in. I thought I had it figured out, because I have three extra t stat housings here. None of them will work, because I need the water intake from the sewater pump, and the nipple for the circulating pump on the same side. I looked at the one on the SBC I have in my garage, and the cooler is on the port side. That's the way the other three housings I have are plumbed. I think the top part off the original SBC will replace the one in the boat, which will eliminate two of the hoses I don't need. Another guy might have some "y's" so I can put two of the other hoses together, and run them to the exhaust.

It's kind of hard to get a picture of the hose going to the cooler, but it's directly under the hose to the circ pump.

Cuda
11-28-2006, 09:10 PM
Here's the housing on the SBC, and the one that it replaced. The way I see it, unless I want to relocate the cooler, and the raw water pump, I'm stuck with plumbing this somehow.

Cuda
11-28-2006, 09:46 PM
weigh your old manifolds and risers for reference would ya..
JH
Just bought a scale today. The manifolds weighed 53 pounds each, and the risers were 23 pounds, total of 152 pounds.

Cuda
11-29-2006, 12:02 AM
Ok Jim, I got your weights, where are my pictures?:)

BUIZILLA
11-29-2006, 07:00 AM
you really think I can afford a camera?? call me and i'll walk ya through it...

Cuda
11-29-2006, 08:07 AM
you really think I can afford a camera?? call me and i'll walk ya through it...
I had to take aluminum cans in to buy the $8.99 scale. :)

Cuda
12-01-2006, 10:37 AM
He may not be able to afford a camera, after cornering the market on Criterions.

maddad
12-01-2006, 11:18 AM
Cuda, these parts are doing nothing since I switched to stainless crossover. If you think they could help you, they're yours.

Cuda
12-01-2006, 12:00 PM
Cuda, these parts are doing nothing since I switched to stainless crossover. If you think they could help you, they're yours.
Thanks for the offer, but I don't think they would work either. I may end up going with a crossover myself. I've got another guy sending me some parts that may work.

dane mariner
12-01-2006, 12:55 PM
Joe, I have had similar problems if you have anymore ?s. Give me a call. I may be able to help. I got my Ys from Hardin Marine they had the best price I could find. It sounds like you will need the new style thermo housing. The HP 500 may work. I had to drill my thermo, although you can buy one with holes in it already. Ask a performance shop. On a single engine "Profile" I had, I had to have wedges made for under my risers. The tail pipes and risers did not meet correctly. I bought the exhaust 2nd hand so the angles were not correct. Dane Mariner Md. 410-439-3263 evenings, weekends

Cuda
12-01-2006, 02:50 PM
Joe, I have had similar problems if you have anymore ?s. Give me a call. I may be able to help. I got my Ys from Hardin Marine they had the best price I could find. It sounds like you will need the new style thermo housing. The HP 500 may work. I had to drill my thermo, although you can buy one with holes in it already. Ask a performance shop. On a single engine "Profile" I had, I had to have wedges made for under my risers. The tail pipes and risers did not meet correctly. I bought the exhaust 2nd hand so the angles were not correct. Dane Mariner Md. 410-439-3263 evenings, weekends
Thanks Dane. Wedges won't work for me because I only have a quarter inch of clearance under the hatch at the risers. I'm not too worried about getting the exhaust from the risers to the exhaust tips. I'll figure something out. I have two of the HP therm housings, they have the same problem. I think the y's will fix that issue.

Cuda
12-01-2006, 05:28 PM
Just bought a scale today. The manifolds weighed 53 pounds each, and the risers were 23 pounds, total of 152 pounds.
I weighed the Dana exhaust today. Each manifold weighed 24 pounds, and the risers were 7 pounds. Total weight 62 pounds for both sides, so it was a 90 pound weight savings if nothing else.

I finally got the old hoses off the t stat housing. They did not come off easily. I'm pretty sure they have been on there for 25 years. I had to take an angle cut grinder with a metal cutting blade to split the hoses to get them off. The hoses were wire reinforced.

Cuda
12-03-2006, 03:40 PM
I got the starboard side manifold in today. I got the studs from Dana I was missing, so I put the studs in. I've only got one nut holding the risers on, because now I need the fittings from the manifolds to the risers.:(

Cuda
12-03-2006, 03:48 PM
I did manage to melt a hole in the bilge pump hose with the 1000 watt halogen light I had in there.:mad: :bonk:

Cuda
12-03-2006, 03:52 PM
I have a little over 16 inches to make a five inch drop to the tips. Will I be able to do that with hose only?

BUIZILLA
12-03-2006, 04:03 PM
Cuda, IMCO makes an S pipe for the drop to the transom outlets, check it out...
JHahemmm..............

MOP
12-03-2006, 04:35 PM
Joe bite the bullet go for the "S"s and the Blue silicone hose, then you will not have to do it again. Once is always better then twice!

Cuda
12-03-2006, 05:11 PM
Business has been slow as hell, trying not to spend more than I need to.:(

Cuda
12-20-2006, 12:04 PM
I'm headed to Daytona to buy some braided line and a/n fittings to relocate the fuel filter. I hate messing with fuel lines. I had a helluva time getting it straight when I changed engines in the Minx.

I'm going to mount it on the bulkhead, where I've got the red mark. I've already moved the battery cable to run on the other side of the bulkhead. I'll through bolt it to the bulkhead. I hope I get the right stuff. It's a 50 mile round trip to the performance shop in Daytona where I can buy what I need.

Cuda
12-20-2006, 12:08 PM
Btw, I have a guy here in Deland that's going to fab the "s" pipes for me. I called him this morning. He got the parts in he needed, but he wants me to wait until tomorrow to bring the boat down. I've also bought the exhaust hose to couple the risers, and tips to the s pipes. That way, he can be sure it works. I hope it isn't raining tomorrow, because I'm not hauling it to him with no hatch on it in the rain.

Cuda
12-20-2006, 03:37 PM
$85 doesn't go as far as it used to. :(

Cuda
12-20-2006, 06:58 PM
I got it mounted. I just need to tighten up the bolts holding the filter on. You can't see it, but there's a stainless backing plate on the backside of the filter. I'll do a little routing with the battery cable, and the tank line too. It actually went better than I thought. I was sure that I'd drop a washer, or a nut behind that bulkhead where I couldn't reach it. Nope, got the bolt through, the backing plate on, a big flat washer on, a locknut on, and even got the nuts started the first try. I don't think we were out there an hour.

Don't mind the mess in the bilge, it's a work in progress. Deb will have it shined up when we're done.:wink:

Cuda
12-22-2006, 09:36 PM
Here's what I'm doing with the SIX water outlets from the t stat housing. I only need two. I'm going to cap off the two at the housing that aren't going to be used. The two on each side running together at the "Y" should give me water before and after the t stat opens.

Cuda
12-29-2006, 02:36 PM
The pipes are done. All I need to finish is the block off caps that I'm hoping will get here today.

I still need to put the gaskets and plumbing on the risers. I left them with only two nuts on finger tight, in case it made it easier for the guy to fab the pipes. I also have to double clamp the hose from the risers.

If the caps come, and it doesn't rain tomorrow, we should run it tomorrow. :wink:

BigGrizzly
12-29-2006, 04:55 PM
BTW I like your flush line setup. I do think you made the right choice the pipes look good.

Cuda
12-29-2006, 07:51 PM
I had a couple of brass plugs I needed to put in, but I didn't have a hex head wrench big enough, so I had to improvise. :)

Cuda
12-29-2006, 07:54 PM
The muffler guy had cut the hose in different sizes, and you know I couldn't stand that, so I used a metal cutoff saw to cut the hose. What a smokey mess!:)

Cuda
01-02-2007, 09:32 PM
Ok, I think I'm completely done now. If it's nice tomorrow, I'll pull it out in the driveway and smoke test it. While it's outside, I'll have Debbie put a shine on the bilge.

Here she is inspecting my handiwork.

The Hedgehog
01-02-2007, 09:37 PM
Nice looking pipes. I am sort of getting pipe envy!

Have you had a chance to hear them yet?

BigGrizzly
01-03-2007, 07:41 AM
I see Debbie is watching you like a hawk so you don't scratch her boat. You guys make a good combo.

Cuda
01-03-2007, 05:37 PM
One of the freaking welds on those pipe I had made has a pinhole, and is leaking. I've already taken it off, and going to take it back to him tomorrow. Cuda is not a happy camper right about now. I had to pull the riser to get the pipe off.

Also, we found a slight leak around the bottom of that humongous t stat housing. It actually came off a lot easier than I thought. I left all the hoses attached, moved it over, cleaned the surfaces, then used some RVT for a gasket. I didn't have an extra gasket. I figured the worse it could do was leak again, then I'd be no worse off than now.

Cuda
01-03-2007, 09:35 PM
Cool. I had to wrench down on these pretty hard to get them to quit leaking.

BigGrizzly
01-04-2007, 08:51 AM
Nice to have friends in the business.

Cuda
01-06-2007, 01:51 PM
Fired it up, saw no leaks and it sounded good.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2999285743693468984
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=863174977578513914

I started fooling around adjusting the carb and such, then when I looked at the temp guage, it was showing 220! The boat has never run over 140 degrees before. It's obviously flowing water, at least through the exhaust. The only things I can think of, is either the thermostat isn't opening, or the guage is reading wrong. It didn't seem that hot. I did a trick my dad taught me and spit on the head. If it doesn't boil, it's probably not that hot. It didn't boil. I'm waiting for it to cool off, then first I'll check the temp guage to make sure it's not reading hot all the time, then I'll pull the thermostat, but I doubt there's anything wrong with it.

Greg K
01-06-2007, 07:46 PM
I started fooling around adjusting the carb and such, then when I looked at the temp guage, it was showing 220! The boat has never run over 140 degrees before. It's obviously flowing water, at least through the exhaust. The only things I can think of, is either the thermostat isn't opening, or the guage is reading wrong. It didn't seem that hot.
I think your T-stat housing is from 1977-1980. You may not be moving enough water thru the motor with most of it by-passing. Might need to remove those caps and route some hoses to dump the the water to thru hull fittings or if there iis another fitting on the manifold you could connect them to.
Pic is of hose routing for that housing.

Cuda
01-06-2007, 08:31 PM
The engine is a 1982, and I'm sure it's all original equipment. I checked the guage, and that's not the problem. I pulled the t stat out, and checked it in a pot of boiling water. It did open, but just before the water boiled. I'm not sure how much is supposed to open. Tomorrow, I'll put it back together and leave out the t stat. That will eliminate that possibility. I'm wondering if for some reason, one of the old supply hoses from the water pick up is collapsing somewhat, but I can see that water IS flowing, just apparently not through the block.:confused: :confused:

BigGrizzly
01-07-2007, 09:26 AM
Cuda I don't see any holes drilled in that T-stat. Their needs to be for several reasons. I think there needs to be 3 3/16 holes around the outer edge. Brownie explained it before. I personally would test it that way and then put a drilled T-stat back in and test again, before I water tested it. Of course if the T-stat is drilled than I am wrong and would look elsewhere. hope this helps.

Cuda
01-07-2007, 09:49 AM
Cuda I don't see any holes drilled in that T-stat. Their needs to be for several reasons. I think there needs to be 3 3/16 holes around the outer edge. Brownie explained it before. I personally would test it that way and then put a drilled T-stat back in and test again, before I water tested it. Of course if the T-stat is drilled than I am wrong and would look elsewhere. hope this helps.
It looks like the housing has a bypass built into it. It worked before with the other exhaust on it. I'll find out today.

BigGrizzly
01-07-2007, 10:00 AM
Yes I know but I had the same thing happen when I did my Corsican. No water passed by the T-Stat so it stayed closed too long. The water was stagnent and temp didn't get hot enough fast enough. I now drill my closed cooling systems as well, and they work better.

Cuda
01-07-2007, 05:28 PM
Still no joy without the t stat. I'm running out of ideas.

BUIZILLA
01-07-2007, 05:41 PM
does your thermo housing have the little plastic balls in it?

Cuda
01-07-2007, 06:03 PM
does your thermo housing have the little plastic balls in it?
Not that I saw. Where would they be located?

Greg K
01-07-2007, 11:47 PM
Like i suggested before...take the caps off and hook up some hoses and run them over the sides to test.

Cuda
01-21-2007, 07:35 AM
I got a crossover and a t stat housing. Now I need to know if it's ok to cap off this hose that ran to the old circulating pump.

Newby
01-21-2007, 08:56 AM
Sounds great. I have a suggestion regarding the heating problem. The way the hoses are currently routed from the thermostat housing, it may be possible that once the thermostat opens, then the water may not circulate properly out of the housing. One way to test this would be to connect all four outlets from the housing to the manifold by y-ing the starboard outlets together and then to the starboard manifold. Do the same for the port side. This would improve the circulation if the thermostat housing was designed to force the flow to the outlets you currently have plugged when the thermostat opens. As it is set up now, it may just be re-circulating the block water and sending cold water from your cold water source out the exhaust. This could account for the reason you hav flow through the exhaust, but the block continues to get hot. Just a thought.

Cuda
01-21-2007, 09:24 AM
Newby, I removed the circulating pump and that crazy ass t stat housing. The crossover and t stat housing weigh 3 pounds total. The circ pump, and old t stat housing weighed 24 pounds, so if nothing else, I've cut 110 pounds from the stern of the boat.

I wire brushed the timing chain cover and other stuff yesterday, then put a rust reformer on it and let it sit overnight. I just primed the areas this morning, and I'll paint it before I install the crossover. It's a whole lot easier to get to it now. The cover is really the only part on this engine that had some significant rust on it.

Cuda
01-21-2007, 10:49 AM
There is a hole with a 3/8's pipe fitting on the side of the t stat housing. I planned on running without a t stat for now. I don't run them in my Formula, with no ill effects.
Here's where I put a new brass plug in that hole yesterday.
There is a center bolt that runs completely through the crossover, but it's to hold the front fitting on. I have a pen stuck into where the bolt comes into the back side of the crossover, because it's hard to see it in a picture. It's only threaded on the back side to enable you to move it to any angle that works, but no place for a pipe fitting.

At least the price was right...........free. :)

Cuda
01-21-2007, 11:45 AM
Sounds like it never was setup for a t-stat, but had a temp sender in the housing..
Thread sealer on the bolt when you install it...
That's exactly what I thought. The fitting was for a temp sender.

Cuda
01-22-2007, 07:10 PM
Well, I thought I had everything I needed to button it up. I put the crossover and the t stat housing on, so all I needed to do was put the belts back on. I told the lady at Autozone I needed a 40 inch belt, and I handed her the belt it would replace, so she's know the thickness. Naturally, it's the belt farthest in, and when I put the belt on, it was way too long.:mad: Wtf?! I had pulled a cloth tape around where it was going, and 40 inches would put me right in the center of the adjustment. I took it back to AZ, and said I needed a 38 inch belt. I got back, and the 38 was too short! I got to looking how they are marked on the package, and this one said 15380, the 38 designating the length. I remember now the other one was 15440. She had given me a 44 inch one instead of 40. I had assumed, that 40 was the length, now I remember if it was 40 and a half, it would say 15445. It's raining, and I ain't running back up again tonight. I'll just have to wait until the am to go swap for the 40 incher I originally asked for.:bonk:

BUIZILLA
01-22-2007, 07:22 PM
Cuda, the actual belt measurement is figured from the middle of a given depth belt... if you measuresd the OD of the pulley the belt may be to long... the overall top width will also move around the length number a tad... take a string and put it in the bottom groove of all the pulleys and mark the total length, or just cut it to length, if you put that string on a belt measurement sliderule you'll see what I mean...

Cuda
01-22-2007, 07:36 PM
Jim, I used a cloth tape and pulled it down in the pulley. I figured 40 was right in the center of the travel, giving me a little leeway either direction.

BUIZILLA
01-22-2007, 07:41 PM
I think mine was a 15405

Cuda
01-22-2007, 09:08 PM
I think mine was a 15405
That sounds about right.

Budmann
01-23-2007, 08:13 PM
I'm dizzy going back and forth with this T-Stat thing. Hope you get it all worked out Cuda...

P.s.. tell Deb Jodi and I said Hi...

Bud and Jodeye

Cuda
01-31-2007, 12:59 PM
I pulled it out and ran it on the hose for half an hour, no signs of overheating at all. I wanted to stick the hatch back on, and go for a test run, but Debbie wants to go get some Greased Lighting and clean up the bilge before I put the hatch back on. She just left.

After that, I'm going to go hunting on some 1986 22 with a newly hopped up SBC. :wink:

Cuda
01-31-2007, 01:03 PM
Btw Jim, you were right, I put a 15405 belt on for the alternator.

Next week, I may start the intake/carb swap, but maybe I should wait until after Mt Dora judging by how long it took me to do this simple swap. :(

While I had Debbie out there, I fired up the Minx too. It had been a while since I fired it up. I'm leaving it uncovered today to air it out some, and I'll hit the upholstery with 303 while I'm at itl Catch 22 called while I was running the Minx, so I had to put it on speaker so he could hear it. :)

Maybe I'll take it to hunt down the afore mentioned 22. :biggrin.: :yes:

Budmann
02-01-2007, 08:48 PM
I'm sorry Cuda is is... I see you are looking for a sbc that had the valve covers changed and "YOU WANT A PIECE OF ME?????" lmfao

bA.bA.bA...bringit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!