PDA

View Full Version : Alpha to a bravo conversion

gfunkenterprises
11-19-2006, 08:14 AM
I have a 87 z25 that i am doing some stringer work on and I am gonna convert the alpha to a bravo, do you have to move the transom hole up or anything like that. if anyone has does this any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Bryan

MOP
11-19-2006, 09:11 AM
No you do not have to relocate the hole unless you want to raise the X dimension for a little added speed, the Bravo due to it being bigger will cost you about 2 mph according to Ted (Mr. X). I switched from an Alpha to a Bravo on my 22, I was shooting for durability more then speed.

Phil

realbold
11-19-2006, 09:42 AM
I'm thinking about doin the same, kinda. Definitely going to repower from an old Merc MR pre Alpha to either a Gen II or Bravo. Could get almost 2 Alphas for the price of 1 Bravo and added weight, bulk, not sure. Will be runnin a SBC with nearly 400 HP pushin a 4000 lb boat.

gfunkenterprises
11-19-2006, 09:42 AM
at this point i would only have to cut one piece of plywood in the transom the other two are out and will be replace later how much would you have to move the x dimension up

Lenny
11-19-2006, 09:55 AM
2" would be considered max I think. BUT, I am not sure how the Z boats react to raised X-dimensions. 1-1/2-2 is common on the 18 Classics. I do not know of anyone, (nor heard of anyone in the last 6 years) doing it to the Z boats. They also have a hard keel (no radius) so that too is a major consideration. I would leave it where it is, and bolt on a Bravo. The Bravo has two extra holes, but fits the same transom template as the Alpha GenII. Don't exceed 2" thick when Finished on the transom, and not more than a 1/16" variance in the ply/glasswork thickness where the transom assembly will bolt up to the transom.

MOP
11-19-2006, 03:40 PM
Excellent advice Lenny, you know it will work at the current X. Once raised if it does not work you are really screwed.

gfunkenterprises
11-19-2006, 03:53 PM
Thanks for your help guys, Nebraska does not have a whole lot of skilled boat repair or refurbish people out here.

Thanks Bryan

farmer tx
11-19-2006, 06:25 PM
This was done on an '86 22-C this spring. Didn't mess with the X. It runs well and I never think about the drive blowing up like I did with the Alpha. Only had to add a drive fluid reservoir and seawater pump.
http://www.performanceboat.us/forum/showthread.php?t=48

Pismo
11-20-2006, 05:38 PM
Isnt the Bravo one inch longer?