PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Sender Leaking

Ranman
11-15-2006, 05:02 PM
I'm having trouble with my fuel sender leaking gas on top of the tank. I've had this issue before and I replaced the sender and now this one is leaking as well. The sender has a 5 or 6 hole pattern and mounts directly to the tank. The new unit came with a new gasket which I used along with a thin coat of sealant (ultra black). I don't think the leak is coming from the gasket or through the mounting screws. I think it is coming from the top post where the sender wire is connected. My last sender was leaking there too. I took the first one apart and put it back together and it still leaked so I bought a new one. Is there some trick to sealing these? Did I somehow overtighten the nut/assembly when I connected the wire? There must be something I'm doing wrong, can anyone help?

Mr X
11-15-2006, 05:06 PM
Randy, if the sending wire post is over tightened at all, its junk.

mrfixxall
11-15-2006, 05:58 PM
I'm having trouble with my fuel sender leaking gas on top of the tank. I've had this issue before and I replaced the sender and now this one is leaking as well. The sender has a 5 or 6 hole pattern and mounts directly to the tank. The new unit came with a new gasket which I used along with a thin coat of sealant (ultra black). I don't think the leak is coming from the gasket or through the mounting screws. I think it is coming from the top post where the sender wire is connected. My last sender was leaking there too. I took the first one apart and put it back together and it still leaked so I bought a new one. Is there some trick to sealing these? Did I somehow overtighten the nut/assembly when I connected the wire? There must be something I'm doing wrong, can anyone help?

replace it with another new one,install a rubber o ring over the studs or on the screw and this will keep it from over thghtening and leaking..

Sam
11-15-2006, 06:14 PM
Not to steal Randy's post but since we are talking about sending units I'm pretty sure mine is not working properly. Is there a difference in the replacement units I.E. good, better and best :bonk: ? Any advise will be apperciated.

THX
Sam

MOP
11-15-2006, 09:56 PM
If you install a sender without sealant it "WILL" leak sooner or later, never install one dry!!! LocTite #3 Aviation sealer is about the best there is. Brush a thin coat on the tank, the under side of the sender and a tiny bit on the screws, there is no gasket that I have ever worked with that did not leak in time you must use a sealant. Stop by any qualified shop they will have it on hand! Another point be careful not to over tighten, you are working with aluminum or poly with an insert both strip very easily. The 5 holes are not symmetrical make sure you check the orientation of the holes and mark the tank and sender, nothing like screwing around with it once it's prepped.

Phil

BUIZILLA
11-16-2006, 05:57 AM
some of those senders come with a cork style gasket....

I don't care what sealer you use, the gas will leach through the cork material...

JH

RickR
11-16-2006, 06:18 AM
Ranman
I just installed one of these on "the other boat"
http://www.boatersworld.com/product/346450018msk.htm
A little expensive, but I am impressed with the quality.
Solid state, heavy duty stainless flange w/rubber gasket and screws with sealant.

ThunderMarineDave
11-16-2006, 07:54 AM
The type that we use most often is the type Rick displayed - WEMA brand solid state unit, stainless steel. No "nut" on the top - wiring is fixed to unit, you splice it in.

-David
THUNDER MARINE
727-501-3183

Cuda
11-16-2006, 08:14 AM
I'm pretty sure a leaking sending unit was what caused me to install a new tank. When the tank was out, the only place I saw that might have been leaking fuel was just a damp spot around the gasket. :(

Oh well, I guess after 24 years, a new tank didn't hurt anything, other than my wallet.

Sam
11-16-2006, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the input on the WEMA units, looks like a robust yet simple unit.