PDA

View Full Version : Winter motor Project....

Last Real Texan
11-15-2006, 01:50 PM
Well last winter I was playing with the idea of supercharging my 500 EFI and found out Big green ZX was going to do his.....I decided to wait and see how his turned out....well it was a good addition to his 502 mag. All is well and it has held up very well over the season. So last winter I did some other things, added hydraulic steering (dual Ram , Helm back) and added an imco shorty...Results were good with the shorty and I picked up 2-3 mph on the gps and all was good, I had some prop tuning to get through and found out the hard way sometimes a labbed prop is not always better. Best consistant GPS was 72.4 with a light load of fuel and just me in the boat....otherwise loaded for the weekend netted 70 GPS.
So here is the next winter project....Picking up a Procharger M3-SC kit complete on Friday with only test time on it 10 hrs or so...boat still was not fast enough for the fellow so off they come he has sold the motors and I am getting one of the M3 kits @ a deal. Procharger claims 740 hp .....from this kit @ 5psi.....I think in the real world it should see 700 @ best.... I am thinking this should make this boat Haul the mail now....perhaps I will see the high 70's with this set up....Big green Zx's mechanic is going to do the work and I am thinking while he is there doing the head gaskets @ the same time even though the motor has less than 100 hours on the clock. I will also be installing bigger injectors, thanks Jamie @ Lakeside for your help in advance.( 50 LB ) to help with the fuel concerns @ 700 hp and having Mark @ Precision marine do the ecu re- map.. Any other things to look for while doing this project? tips trick etc....any advice will sure be helpful....
Also about the drive issues....Already upgraded the lower and am on the search for an XR upper.
Thanks for any help
Bryan

The Hedgehog
11-15-2006, 07:03 PM
You will be in the 80's with one heck of a cruise Luke Chinewalker!

My guess, you will want tab indicators. You will be using them to keep that baby settled down!

BigGrizzly
11-15-2006, 07:34 PM
The next trick is props. Maybe I can come down with a load of different props. pitdhes from 26 to 34 with 3,4 and 5 blade Precision props. After I am the largest stocking dealer in Ga.and most other close by states. As for real horse power I figure if Mark Bose does the ecu, than between 650 to 700 at 5Psi. only testing will tell how fast it will go. everyone can guess but the combination is what matters most. Get ready to learn how to drive all over again.

Last Real Texan
11-15-2006, 08:19 PM
Learning to drive all over again is what I am thinking as well... thank goodness for hydraulic steering....looking forward to learning it over for sure....You are right only time will tell how it will handle once finished , but I am sure Big green ZX is correct, time for some tab indicaters for sure. I thnk a realistic speed projection is high 70's if I can get it to settle down and get it dialed in in the coming months.
Wish me luck.
On a side note , any one have any great ideas on a power steering res. as the kit makes me lose the slip on one from the merc factory.
Bryan

The Hedgehog
11-15-2006, 08:19 PM
The next trick is props. Maybe I can come down with a load of different props. pitdhes from 26 to 34 with 3,4 and 5 blade Precision props. After I am the largest stocking dealer in Ga.and most other close by states. As for real horse power I figure if Mark Bose does the ecu, than between 650 to 700 at 5Psi. only testing will tell how fast it will go. everyone can guess but the combination is what matters most. Get ready to learn how to drive all over again.

I would not mind getting in on some of the testing. I am going to try Tex's shorty. I am pretty sure that I am leaving some mph on the plate. My current conservative X dim has the lower unit buried. I have looked down and seen the cav plate nicely covered. If the shorty works, I will be back to square 1 with props.

Last Real Texan
11-18-2006, 09:44 AM

Big Grizzzzzz

Talk to me a little about the precision props .....Don't know much about them.

BigGrizzly
11-18-2006, 04:28 PM
Here is the deal, I have tried hundreds of props in the buisiness and my boating life and there is no perfict prop for all boats. The key is testing the same day and same conditions if possible. Just gearing a car or motorcycle at a race track. I have tried Labed props from the Merc Guru the late Dave Cavanaugh and beat it with a stock out of the box Presision prop. Presision Propellers is one of the largest propeller co in the country and is still family owned by an X racer Jim Booe. He and his son still do most of the design and testing. Testing is the trick. I also do testing for them as I have acces to several fast and powerful boats besides mine with various drives installed We have been working on a new 5 blade for over a year. they refuse to bring it out untill it is just right. They make props for others as well but I won't say whom and this is not up for discussdion publicly so don't ask or guess even if you know. Now I am not a fan of labbed finished props because regardless of what they say the next one isn't the same as the previous one. Its hard enough to make production ones the same. Presision propellers is Turbo props. They are great props but not the only prop. I am a dealer and rep for them as well as Some others. Since I am fairly local and the largest stocking dealer in Ga. I could come down with several props to try If you like one I'll sell it to you if not I just go home and you can try another brand. However with the number of styles I would be suprised if I didn't have one that you liked. It may cost you dinner and a place to crash for the night and a fun day of boating too. Who knows maybe I can help with your boat setup only time will tell. Before I run down there we need a base line to start with the two of you together use the biggest prop you have to find where you are this way I don't come down with a semi and 2000pounds of props.lets get close and fine tune from there. Any querstions call 706-216-8194 after 7:pm or 770-318-1136. webis in its infancy but is www.biggrizzlyperformance.com or www.biggrizzlyprops.com.

The Hedgehog
11-19-2006, 09:54 AM
I will definately get in tough with you. I will be trying the shorty in a couple of weeks and can get a good baseline with GPS on that setup.

Last Real Texan
11-19-2006, 01:34 PM
Sounds good to me....Installing the procharger in about two weeks...looks interesting.

Bryan

LKSD
11-20-2006, 08:05 AM
Sounds good to me....Installing the procharger in about two weeks...looks interesting.
Bryan

Bryan, I left you a voice mail on friday evening with what you asked.. :) Let me know if they will work for you.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

Last Real Texan
11-20-2006, 12:19 PM
Jamie.....Been travelling a bit I will call you in the AM.

Bryan

BigGrizzly
11-20-2006, 05:15 PM
Ok lets go boating get a baselin and we will go from there

LKSD
11-20-2006, 06:20 PM
Jamie.....Been travelling a bit I will call you in the AM.
Bryan

Ok.. Talk to you then.. :) J