PDA

View Full Version : Outdrives

new guy
11-12-2006, 10:24 AM
On some Donzi outdrives I see they have a steel braided line that is about 2ft or so long an goes from the top of the outdrive, verticaly down to that flat area just above the props. What is it an what does it do.

MOP
11-12-2006, 10:27 AM
Mercs tend to run a little hot, it is what is called a drive shower to spray water on the upper gear case.

new guy
11-12-2006, 10:45 AM
Thank you. Do you know if it is an optional item or standard because I am looking at 2 different 2001 28zx donzi and one has that steel braided hose an the other does not. Is it something that should be put on if it doesn't have it or is it no big deal? Thanks again for the help.

LKSD
11-12-2006, 10:52 AM
Thank you. Do you know if it is an optional item or standard because I am looking at 2 different 2001 28zx donzi and one has that steel braided hose an the other does not. Is it something that should be put on if it doesn't have it or is it no big deal? Thanks again for the help.

If you are looking at a boat without one on it currently it's ok, as long as everything looks like it was maintained properly & not abused... If you do buy the boat though I would add one if I were you.. It is something I run on all of my boat.. It's cheap insurance.. I can get them for you, they are fairly cheap.. They are a no brainer in my opinion to have because of the damage they can help to prevent.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

You can see some different ones on my accessories page.. www.LakesideRestorations.com

Madcow
11-15-2006, 07:49 PM
Look at the area just below the seem at the top cap for a white chalky residue. Sign of an overheated drive. Not nesiserily a problem, just pop the top cap off, and check the gears and berrings.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
11-16-2006, 05:21 PM
Hello POODLE first off...

On most Donzi's they are Latham and that braided hose that goes to the already threaded Stainless Steel top plate for the steering is about $100 a piece.
For me, showers on two boats that always had drive issues for one reason or another, now I have two Bravo X drives with Latham top plates with no drive shower hose. It is on my list of things to do sometime.

I know there are many opinions on whether or not you need it, that includes specific technical data online and on manufactures websites.
I for one am not so sure anymore if you need it, I would guess a more realistic answer would be "per application." High HP, or more HP than the drive is rated for etc, it certainly would not hurt..
My 2 cents.
Bryan