PDA

View Full Version : fuel line replacement

tiger lily
11-12-2006, 04:44 AM
im looking to replace my fuel line, i have the week free over thanksgiving and was thinking of taking on this project, how hard is it to replace the line from the tank back? im not removing the deck ,just replacing the line, is there anyway to get the old line out? did a search and found that could be a problem with it either foamed in or clamped in place under the deck somewhere, what line should i buy, how much and where should i order it from?? thanks in advance

matt

MOP
11-12-2006, 09:56 AM
Matt I forget which classic you have, I have changed the fuel lines on many boats. Last few years my 16 and the 22. The 16 was a snap as it was rubber from the tank to the filter, the 22 had copper which was clamped in several places it was bit more work but I got both done without deck removal. The hose I guesstimated the length got them loose at the tank, I made up a 2-1/2" 3/8" piece of tubing put a slight flare on the ends and forced it into the old and new hose then used wire twisted very tight with the ends bent into the rubber so as not to catch on anything and simply pulled the new hose through with the old hose.

fasttrucker
11-12-2006, 12:26 PM
I had my fuel line replaced with a larger dia.line.We wanted to get more fuel to the motor.If you are going to add big power later-on you might want to do that.

tiger lily
11-12-2006, 05:51 PM
not looking to add any huge power anytime soon, boat is a 78 18c, has the original copper line still.

MOP
11-12-2006, 06:22 PM
The copper usualy holds up very well, curious about the replacement.
Phil

DonziDave
11-12-2006, 07:27 PM
After 20 years, my original AeroQuip fuel line went bad. Stuff just doesn't last like it use to.....!!!! :wink:
Had a new one made and routed it from the tank and between the stringers to the engine bay. Clamped it off to the starboard stringer. The old line is foamed in under the starboard side floor. Could not get it out, so I just abandoned it in place.

Dave

Mr X
11-12-2006, 07:56 PM
I had my fuel line replaced with a larger dia.line.We wanted to get more fuel to the motor.If you are going to add big power later-on you might want to do that.
Thats a great idea, don't forget to replace the pick up in the fuel tank with a larger diameter while your at it. Otherwise....it's not effective.