PDA

View Full Version : does anyone run a pcv valve in thier boat

problemchild
11-11-2006, 01:30 PM
I have a problem with my motor sucking oil from the breathers in the valve covers through the hose that runs up to the flame arrester, I was told that this would do happen anyway, especially because im running 10.5:1 pistons, but its taking a half a quart to go for a 3 hour boat ride. I was wondering if a pcv valve would help this problem, and if so, how would I go about putting one in.
Thanks for your Help
Problem Child

Ps. The compression in all the cylinders is good and even, running between 180-190 psi.

MOP
11-11-2006, 04:58 PM
Using some oil in a built engine is pretty common, yours does seem a little excessive. With my 383 I go through a half quart in a full day with some fairly hard running. I would rather suck oil through the breather and disperse it evenly, that is better then sucking it into two manifold runners and bathing just two cylinders. Your rings may not have broken in properly, how many hours on the engine?

problemchild
11-13-2006, 09:52 AM
I am not sure as to the exact #, but I think it has a little less than 300 hours.

MOP
11-13-2006, 12:07 PM
I am not sure as to the exact #, but I think it has a little less than 300 hours.

Ok you have very good compression, does it smoke on start up if so you may have a valve guide problem. Just fishing!!!

mrfixxall
11-13-2006, 08:51 PM
I have a problem with my motor sucking oil from the breathers in the valve covers through the hose that runs up to the flame arrester, I was told that this would do happen anyway, especially because im running 10.5:1 pistons, but its taking a half a quart to go for a 3 hour boat ride. I was wondering if a pcv valve would help this problem, and if so, how would I go about putting one in.
Thanks for your Help
Problem Child
Ps. The compression in all the cylinders is good and even, running between 180-190 psi.

whats your pil pressure?alot of people make the mistake of putting a high pressure / high volume oil pump in the boat (its not needed).......i running 10.7 compression and go through 1/2 a qt in a season.. my oil pressure is 20 at idle and 45-50 at 6200 rpm..to big of ring gaps can also make your engine blow oil out of the breathers...do you have oil baffels in your valve covers?if not you may try installing a set this will help alot with the blow by..

p.s. if you have 180-190 lbs of compression thatis more in line with a 11.0 to1 + compression..mine is 10.7 and the cranking compression is 165psi

problemchild
11-14-2006, 04:06 PM
I think my valve guides are fine, no smoke when I start it, but thanks anyway!

problemchild
11-14-2006, 04:11 PM
My oil pressure is about 40psi at idle when warm, and around 65 at cruising speed (around 2500 RPM's, a little less than 30mph's), note my gas mileage is still only about 2.5-3 per gallon. :bonk:
ps. I only have a baffle on one side.

BigGrizzly
11-14-2006, 04:31 PM
I runa pcv valve in my Corsican with a352 Ford Clevland with 10.5 to 1 also. your problwm is in the valve covers. My breathers have a chamber that is far away from the rockers so no amount of splash gets to them. most valve covershave a baffel at the top so oilis driven to it. Mine are below the rockers. My 502 had your problem so I ditxhed it and made better ones like the stock
ford Clevland. problem gon. gowere the breathers do leake a little om the chevy.

problemchild
11-14-2006, 06:01 PM
thanks for your help, i'll look into better baffles

mrfixxall
11-14-2006, 06:48 PM
thanks for your help, i'll look into better baffles

if you can rotate the valve covers with the breathers facing the front of the engine. when your on plane most of the oil runs to the back of the head and thats ware the oil is accumulated you can also take the valve covers off and pack the baffels with some coarse stainless steel wool that will act as a filter..

mrfixxall
11-15-2006, 10:19 AM
Steel wool rusts :) :)
I use chore boy.. Copper/brass or whatever, doesnt rust...

thanx poodle i changed it to stainless steel wool,doesnt brass coroad you know the green chit...:wink:

blue-z
11-15-2006, 10:50 AM
My sold Z-25 used oil under high rpms badly. Low rpms ie 40 mph & less used no oil. I had good oil pressure. In the evening if you neutral revved it you could see a blue tinge to the spray from the exhaust pipes. I never got to the bottom of it but was told to check valve guides (as compression was good) before assuming anything large. PS As an owner of a GTO rag and an SS Camaro rag who likes toys.....I MISS THAT FREAKIN BOAT!!!!