PDA

View Full Version : Michigan Boat Manufacturers

Dredgeking
11-10-2006, 02:38 PM
Can you name all the boat manufacturers in MI? I used to know quite a few, but things have changed since I moved back to the Mit. I'm looking for a career change or possible aquistion / partnership with a smaller company.

I went down this route about 4 years ago when I lived in TX and almost made a deal with a company in FL, but I didn't feel like relocating.

Thanks,

Ray

Tony
11-10-2006, 03:52 PM
Sunsation.

:beer:

DAULEY
11-10-2006, 04:52 PM
they are right in our back door
Legend Performance

Voodoocanoe
11-10-2006, 06:04 PM
Hey Dredge, Contact Donzi Registry member "Vicious One" (Sparky) He's in Destin Fla racing right now but will be back in town next week, check out his website at:http://www.viciousmarine.com/
Sparky is a great guy and you will be hard pressed to find an honest and more knowledgable all around straight shooter in the marine business anywhere.

Just Say N20
11-10-2006, 06:34 PM
Powerquest, effectively out of business, but still have "stuff." Grand Haven?

Saber, in Coopersville.

Tiara Yachts, Holland.

Carl C
11-10-2006, 08:37 PM
Is Four Winns in Michigan? Two of the finest engine builders are here; Ilmor and Sterling.

Carl C
11-10-2006, 08:58 PM
Here's all of them.......including Four Winns http://www.boatbuilders.us/michigan.htm :boat:

Dredgeking
11-11-2006, 07:14 AM
I didn't know Powerquest went out of business. I wasn't impressed with their boats.

Carl C
11-11-2006, 07:21 AM
It doesn't look like they are out of business :boggled: http://www.powerquestboats.com/ edit: yes they have been closed for over a year now. There is still talk of new ownership but it doesn't look good now. Don't know why the web site is still up.

Dredgeking
11-11-2006, 08:04 AM
The website is probably still up because they paid for a year of service in advance.

Madison (my 3 year old) wants me to put a "happy face" on here.
:happy_bi:

Magicallbill
11-12-2006, 02:25 PM
Dredge;
Skater Performance Cats are located in Douglas/Saugatuck.
They painted my restored 16 Ski Sporter.

Dredgeking
11-12-2006, 03:14 PM
I'm a retard. I've been to Douglas countless times and live just 30min from there and NEVER put skater and the little town of Douglas together. I knew it was Douglas Marine, but I figured it was named after somebody not somewhere.

Damn Damn Damn. Thanks for the info.

olredalert
11-12-2006, 08:40 PM
------Yup,,,Dredge,,,That would be a boat manufacturer not to miss in your exploration of MI. builders. They have built a few fast ones.......Bill S

Tony
11-12-2006, 09:16 PM
Power Quest used to be Power Play, who made good quality sport boats from 1984 to 1990. They had classic lines, a squared-off stern, and were well built. Many of them are still around today...

:beer:

Dredgeking
11-13-2006, 06:58 AM
The old Power Play boats were very cool. Hot little speed boats. The new Power Quest boats never seemed to impress me.

Bill, I spent too many years in TX and need to get re-aquainted with the marine marvels of Michigan. Hell, I even missed the Hessel Antique Boat show this year. I'm really slacking off.

When I raced offshore, I almost bought a 28' Skater, but the outboard cat classes were dead in APBA when I started. I went with a Factory 1 boat, which was still popular and APBA was still racing in Corpus Christi where we had a weekend home. I've told my wife that I will have a Skater one day, but it's just not a great boat with younger kids.