PDA

View Full Version : Hey Rootsy, check this deer out

Cuda
11-09-2006, 10:49 AM
My cousin in Ohio just sent me this picture that an Amish fellow killed with a bow. It scored 295 points green score.:eek!:

goatee
11-09-2006, 10:49 PM
holy wow!

DonCig
11-10-2006, 08:14 PM
Very nice!

Don

Magicallbill
11-11-2006, 12:44 PM
1st time this has ever happened..

Driving home last nite, 3:00AM or so, 45-47MPH, light mist,fog..
Deer runs RIGHT in front of my headlamp beams,left-to-right.
NO time to swerve,or anything..
I catch it with the right front.
I turned my head,instinctively,so no glass would get in my one good eye.
Somehow, it rolled over my hood SMASHED my windshield to smithereens,and,miraculously,didn't damage any other part of the car.
I drove on,thru the nite to a quick-mart in my town,looked at the car in wonderment,and drove on home.

Where's Rootsy and Cuda with their firearms when you need 'em?

Rootsy
11-12-2006, 10:27 AM
i owned my 1993 Ranger for roughly 12 hours (from the Ford dealer, brand new) before a doe decided to jump right into the passenger door... ouch...

don't worry bill, there is going to be AT LEAST one, hopefully two less deer in Michigan due to me in the coming weeks ;) and about 800,000 more folks feel the same way as me beginning Wednesday as we once again partake in an 81 year old tradition.... Since 1925, November 15th has been opening day of Firearms deer season up here...

Magicallbill
11-12-2006, 02:17 PM
I'm glad...
They need thinning out;I feel that's necessary..
They are everywhere around here,and the fact that I live and drive in the country makes me think that there could be more encounters in the future.

Scared the crap out of me....

Rootsy
11-12-2006, 06:18 PM
Well i think i found my 2006 hunting load for my Root Custom 700 Remington chambered for 35 Whelen Ackley-Improved... 5 rounds that measure .375 C/L to C/L at the widest point... 2" high at 100 with a 2550 FPS velocity 15 feet from the muzzle (estimated at 2600 at muzzle) gives me a Zero @ about 175 yds... Deer beware.... :wink:

now if i could come up with a good accurate load for the S&W 686.... we'd be all set... or i guess maybe if i learned to shoot a revolver as well as i do a rifle that'd help :rolleyes:

Magicallbill
11-13-2006, 03:35 AM
Just did the math..
Optimistically speaking..2 deer for each of the 800,000 hopefuls=16000000 deer for this season.

Approximately $280.00 to repair my windshield and new wiper blade inserts which will be done today..

Things are lookin' up...

Have a great hunting season&good luck with the Red Mistress.

Lets hook up and run the boats next summer sometime..

Bill..

Donziweasel
11-13-2006, 01:37 PM
You guys are killing me. Our hunting season is over and although it was a good one, I already miss it. Probably go snowmobiling this weekend Rootsy, when are you heading out?

Cuda
11-13-2006, 01:51 PM
When we took the boat down to the ramp yesterday, there were two boats of hunters with dogs. One guy even had a dog box mounted on his boat. You could tell it was the beginning of gun season. You're allowed to run dogs in most areas of the Ocala National Forest, which is just across the river from that boat ramp, and runs about 15 miles north. They beach their boats, then try to find deer to run. I asked one guy if they ran anything today. He said they jumped three bucks, but never got a shot at them. Most of the time, dog hunters spend all day chasing does, and trying to catch up their dogs. We were in a dog hunt club several years ago, it's just not my style. It was fun, but more of a social event, with hunters bringing their wives and children, and when they hear the dogs jump, fly down the dirt roads tearing the chit out of their trucks

Donziweasel
11-13-2006, 05:42 PM
Ever hear of a turkey dog?

Cuda
11-13-2006, 05:49 PM
Ever hear of a turkey dog?
It's ilegal to hunt turkey with dogs here in Florida.

22billyzx
11-14-2006, 07:36 AM
Where was the big deer taken in ohio? i live in wayne co (ohio) and am surrouned by amish. couldnt get the pic to come up though