PDA

View Full Version : Hull weights

Donziweasel
11-09-2006, 10:22 AM
Donzi posts the weights of the 16C and 18c at 2500 pounds and 2700 pounds respectively. Do you think these weights are correct.

The reason I am asking is that out west we are allowed to tow two vehicles at once. I have a 2004 F-350 turbo diesel and routinely tow two vehicles. I pull an Starcraft 13ft pop up camper. I welded a hitch on the bumber of that and pull my jet boat, rafts, snow mobiles, etc... It is pretty funny watching it going down the road. It is also effective for taking the rafts and pop up camper to a river for camping and fishing for the weekend for example.

I tried towing my 16C this summer in the configuration after beefing up the hitch and it was able to tow fine as long as you didn't get to heavy in the gas pedal (over 60 it starts to snake a little). As I am looking for an 18, was wondering if it is only 200 pounds heavier than the 16 so I can still "triple tow".

RickSE
11-09-2006, 10:36 AM
Another thing to consider is single vs. tandem axle trailers. I assume your 16 is on a single axle trailer?? I'd be willing to bet that an 18 on a single axle trailer will wag but will not on a tandem axle. My old 18 was on a tandem and towed like a dream.

Donzi's weights should be pretty close. 2500lbs in the 16 is probably with a V-8 so the extra 200lbs in the 18 is the extra 2' of glass & resin.

MOP
11-09-2006, 12:19 PM
Listen to Rick you can't beat dual axles, we just installed a second axle on one of my kids trailers. He called to say it towed so much better that it surprised him, it was like nothing was back there when changing lanes.

Phil

Donziweasel
11-09-2006, 12:51 PM
On the 18, would definetly go with the tandem. Just a safety concern. If you have a single and have a blow out or bearing issue, you can definetly mess up you boat and trailer.

slownsx
11-09-2006, 06:19 PM
What about brakes? It seems like you would want some back there with the weight of two boats behind the truck. Is there a way to have electric brakes on both trailers?

DonCig
11-10-2006, 08:18 PM
Donzi posts the weights of the 16C and 18c at 2500 pounds and 2700 pounds respectively. Do you think these weights are correct.
The reason I am asking is that out west we are allowed to tow two vehicles at once. I have a 2004 F-350 turbo diesel and routinely tow two vehicles. I pull an Starcraft 13ft pop up camper. I welded a hitch on the bumber of that and pull my jet boat, rafts, snow mobiles, etc... It is pretty funny watching it going down the road. It is also effective for taking the rafts and pop up camper to a river for camping and fishing for the weekend for example.
I tried towing my 16C this summer in the configuration after beefing up the hitch and it was able to tow fine as long as you didn't get to heavy in the gas pedal (over 60 it starts to snake a little). As I am looking for an 18, was wondering if it is only 200 pounds heavier than the 16 so I can still "triple tow".

I use a weight of 3150 pounds when I am in the boat with fuel, so I beleive that 2,850 is close, add 600/700 pounds for a trailer.