PDA

View Full Version : travel trailer floors

mikev
11-06-2006, 01:32 PM
I know wrong forum :bonk: but figured i would ask since we all fix stuff and do most of it ourselves. I have a chance to buy a trailer 2002 model for about 3k less than book value because the bozo left the vent open and the batroom floor rotted out. it looks pretty easy to fix just pull up the vinyl floor sink cabinet and replace rotted plywood my question is has anyone done this i might have to take the shower out to do it right not sure. but for a weekend worth of work and a sheet of plywood sounds like a pretty good deal to me what do you guys think?

gold-n-rod
11-06-2006, 01:43 PM
What's to say the water didn't soak into the rest of the unit's floor, but the bath is the first room to display the rot? It seems more likely that the entire floor might have to be replaced. "Might" I said, but if it was an easy fix, it wouldn't have been sold at a discount.

fegettes
11-06-2006, 03:32 PM
I had this problem in several places in a trailer I had, several years ago, back when they used the cheap press wood. And yes, when it gets wet, it does deteriorate. I litterally pulled the carpet back, took my skill saw and adjusted it to the depth of the wood, cut the bad section out, cut my new piece of plywood to the required dimensions, slapped it in place with a few nails, and pulled the carpet back over it. Always take note of where the supporting boards are underneath, because you will be placing the plywood back over it. I did this also in the bathroom where the toilet was. Removed the toilet, pulled the vinyl back, cut out the bad section, put in the new plywood, and if you were careful pulling the vinyl back, you can replace it, and then replace the toilet.

I think you are on target with what is needed to be done. Hopefully, you will not need to pull the shower out.

Good Luck.

Steve