PDA

View Full Version : Which heat exchanger is best?

Jamesbon
11-05-2006, 11:12 AM
Both have been discussed here, just need your input before ordering this week. Heard good things about each product, just looking for any pro's or cons of each.

Plan to mount the heat X low in the engine compartment and use the seperate "filler tank/reservoir" mounted at the highest position of the cooling loop.

I need the full system unit for engine & manifolds up to 700HP. Each of the companies below charge just over a grand for the kit I need...

http://www.perfprotech.com/store2/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=783

or

http://www.oceaneastmarine.com

BigGrizzly
11-05-2006, 12:03 PM
Nate, as you know I have a closed colling system on my blower motor and it has closeto 700 ponies. it came from Perprotech the one they have pictured is my system. Andy Logan one of the owners used to work for Merc on the closed cooling systems and designes the 496 system. He came to Ga and we ran tests on my boat. he also designed them for Garry's 850 Vortex blower motors. The have the only full flow systems available. This system ilocates the t-stat in the exchanger not in the block this eliminates hot spots in the block. The system allowes full water flow through the block without restrictionstherefpr saving horsepower and water pump drag. My exchanger is below my balancer in fromt of the engine and not supported in anyway by the block. the T-statis comtrolled by water temp and is not in contact with the blockin any fasion. this is the way the Ford GTcooling system is and the new efficient systems are. I have had the system on for over 3 years and no problems. I do not have a full system because I have SS CMI exhaust and didn'T feel the need. A full system would be quite a bit larger. My exchanger is 28 inches long and 4 inches in diameter. If I had to winterise my system I just take off one end plate and it is done because the exhaust id higher than the exchanger so it drains too. to flush my system I put a hose on the intake raw water hose ( I have a Tee hose fitting) turn it on and in 5 min it is don. Oh I don't even have to run the engine. I would do it the same way if I had to do it again. To my knolege I have the most powerfull engine with a closed systrm on Donzi net. and I beleive Garry has the most powerfull blower motor with a closed system, I think about 900HP. Another national company designed one for me and it was 5 feet long and 6 inches wide. good luck. Remember tell the people how much HP you have before you buy!

gcarter
11-05-2006, 04:36 PM
I like that scheme Griz.

zimm17
11-05-2006, 11:24 PM
I have the ocean east marine. It's great, works as advertised. It's 5" diameter which is their "big" model. Cools my 454 and lower exhaust manifolds with no problem. Temp never goes over 180deg. The going out from the heat exhanger isn't even that hot when grabbing the hose. It does mount the thermostat in it's own housing bolted to the intake manifold. So the thermostat isn't in the engine, but about 4" down stream from the intake- so the exhaust water routing takes place under the thermostat.

It just barely fits under the engine mounted to the stringer. To winterize, I don't take the end plate off, I just "beer funnel" 2 gallons of bio-degradable anti-freeze into the outdrive earmuffs while the engine is running until it comes out the exhaust. Then it's freeze-proof. Also allows for a quick boat ride if you want, you just need to re-do the anti-freeze funnel when you're done.

Jamesbon
11-06-2006, 05:46 PM
Thank you for the input fellas. I went with your advice Randy.

One "perfprotech <700 HP" heat exchanger kit and associated hoses is en'route!

This should get things moving "a little." I ran out of stuff to do after mounting the engine. All of the H2O plumbing kind of hinges on where this thing will go. Guess it's time to order a sea strainer as well. Anyone have anything used? I hate to spend 500 bucks on something new when I know there's a deal lurking around here somewhere....

gcarter
11-06-2006, 06:37 PM
Perko's aren't as pretty as some others, but they're bullet proof and reasonable. A 1 1/4" is a little over $100.00 at Surplus Unlimited in Daytona (they have a web site but it's almost useless except for their phone #). Mine is mounted on the Stbd stringer but if I could do it again I'd probably mount it on the seat back.

BigGrizzly
11-06-2006, 07:22 PM
I bough my sea strainer same place George recomended I have used peco all my life on every boat my family has had. not as good looking as Stainles Marine but they keep the exchanger clean

MOP
11-06-2006, 08:43 PM
Nate before you plunk your $$'s on the Perko take a good look at the high capacity Groco SA 1250S, it will keep sand, grass etc. out better then any other. Perko quality is very good and equal to the Groco but it fall short in the wall thickness of the sight glass and the cap is far more prone to leakage. The ease of cleaning with the single wing nut can not be beat and it always tightens down squarly where as the two sided afair on the Perko does not believe me I am as old as dirt when it comes to stuff that has proven to be trouble free and last.

Phil

http://www.groco.net/prodcts-frame-all.htm

Jamesbon
11-07-2006, 11:37 AM
Thanks again fellas.

I had a feeling last night something was just around the corner. The mechanics here on site, dug up an old crusty green 1 1/4" Perko for 30 bucks. After a half hour in the 'ol sandblaster and a new gasket set, she's ready to go. Definetly not as good looking as a Stainless Marine or Marine Machine, but hey, with the extra dough I saved, I can pay Poodle! ;)

BigGrizzly
11-07-2006, 04:32 PM
worked for me for 4 years so far. Nate if you have a problem with heat exchanger instakk give ne a call. BTW I mounted mine infront of the engine on two half inch tubes axxross the stringer and hosed clamped the exchanger to then cousioned of course and doesn't looked hacked at allyou can't even see the tubes.