PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading my motor this winter!

fasttrucker
11-05-2006, 08:47 AM
Yesterday, we pulled my motor at tonys shop in baltimore:smash: .CMS racing.:yes: Iam putting in a set of Edelbrock Marine-Duty Performer RPM 454-O aluminum heads.Also new Comp Xtreme Marine Cam."Custom Ground".Iam also going to install a Billet Aluminum High Volume Fuel Filter/Water Separator.Going to use the fram model with the 11.5 inch filter.Iam also adding the Mayfair HDY. steering add on(not the full hdy system):toiletpap .Sending my Bravo-1 lab prop back to Throttle-Up.They are adding 1-inch to the pitch(26 to a 27)and putting in a cup to help stop the porpose :dolphin: that I get at high speed.Well it looks like it will cost about $5,500.:eek!: Looks like I may have to work weekends this winter!:bonk:

FlyingDutchman76
11-05-2006, 09:03 AM
Sounds good, keep us informed with pictures and posts.

The Hedgehog
11-05-2006, 10:16 AM
That should help!

How much Hp are you expecting from that package?

Last Real Texan
11-05-2006, 05:10 PM
That should help!
How much Hp are you expecting from that package?
WHat he said as well as the gains you got from blue printing the bottom of the boat.... was it worth it? and was the porpoise there before you blueprinted the hull?

Bryan

LKSD
11-06-2006, 07:58 AM
Bill how fast were you runing this summer at the poker run?? Jamie

fasttrucker
11-06-2006, 04:27 PM
My donzi has hit 75 mph gps but ive been getting 72-73 lately.CMS claims I will get 605hp on the new heads and cam.I got the dry tailpipes,so Iam putting in a nice cam.They say I should really hear it:yes: .Iam going to go from 500-525 hp to 605 hp,so I really cant expect to gain too much speed from this.Iam running 5400 rpm now and should go up to 6000 rpm.Iam adding 1-inch of pitch..making the.26 into a 27-inch.So what do you think?will I hit 80?:hyper:

fasttrucker
11-06-2006, 04:40 PM
The blue-printing of my bottom was really just a small hook that was grinded out.It changed the handling most of all.I had the hook taken out and had the bottom repainted by "art Lilly" it looks alot better and cleans up nice.I think donzi in 1998 put the first step up too far forward.I would like to see the step on the new 27zr.See how they have changed them.Ive been told the hook was put-in for a reason?The boat rides flat.If I lower the trim tabs the boat rides too-flat.So maybe a cup in the prop will stop the bouncing at high speed?

fasttrucker
11-06-2006, 04:41 PM
Het jamie, maybe Ill add the procharger next year:bonk:

LKSD
11-06-2006, 06:32 PM
Bill, It sounds like you should be able to gain some more speed for next summer.. :yes: :yes: You may also want to try a 5 blade from throttle up, It may take out some more handling funk, you also may want to think planes if you only have tabs currently.. If you need any more perf parts give me a shout, I will see what I can work up for you..

If Santa is nice & my boat (yes the new 22'c :eek!: :bonk: ) sells, Kristin has my (her) eyes set on a new Zr... We will see what transpires.. :boat: :boat: Jamie / Lakeside

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
11-07-2006, 03:35 PM
Trucker, been awhile uh, great post but I would like to add some insight in my humble opinion. I take it that is the prop I sold you. Cup and porposing, I don't get the solution/resolution there, if anything go to 28P vice 27P and cup, especially at the new RPM.

K-Planes or tabs on your boat?

I think you will find the 27ZR and your first step located exactly the same, just a guess on my part.

Take care, keep us posted.. send me a picture of the new paint job too.
Bryan Tuvell

The Hedgehog
11-07-2006, 04:14 PM
My donzi has hit 75 mph gps but ive been getting 72-73 lately.CMS claims I will get 605hp on the new heads and cam.I got the dry tailpipes,so Iam putting in a nice cam.They say I should really hear it:yes: .Iam going to go from 500-525 hp to 605 hp,so I really cant expect to gain too much speed from this.Iam running 5400 rpm now and should go up to 6000 rpm.Iam adding 1-inch of pitch..making the.26 into a 27-inch.So what do you think?will I hit 80?:hyper:

80 is tough. Should get upper 70's no prob. You will have one heck of a setup. That thing will sound like a beast!

Last Real Texan is looking at a deal on a Procharger on his 27 ZX with a 500 EFI. That and a shorty should break him into the low 80's. Figure just north of 700 hp on that one.

BigGrizzly
11-07-2006, 04:14 PM
Brian is correct, don't wast your moneyitching it up. The 5 blade that throttle up has are the hydro p5 and p5x. your boat, unless you raised the X will not like it and it will slow you down. When they repitch the bend what you have to a theory pitch but the blade position on the hub is still in the origional position. Now the prop will not work the way the prop was designed. For every added mph you will need another 20 hp. So about 5mph is another inch of pitch from where you are now. My suggestion is when the engine is done and in the boat you need to break it in this will tell you the new prop need. You have don this enough so I don't neede to tell you what to look for. Don't do anything untill the engine is done aqnd you know exactlly where it is.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
11-07-2006, 04:25 PM
Truck you know if Big Griz agrees with me, you should hold on to the prop idea for the moment, $$ non refundable and to late.

We all wish you luck.

Big Griz, it has been a couple years since we chatted.
(757)816-2013

Bryan

fasttrucker
11-07-2006, 04:47 PM
Hey Bryan,Yes julie at throttle-up said she can add 1-inch of pitch and she can take it back off later if I want:bonk: .She was talking to me about the power-band hp vrs rpm of the motor.If I go up on the pitch then I will gain a lower rpm and a faster cruise speed,but I could lose top end speed.:confused: Tony at CMS says the only real way to go is to take my boat to fl and test different props at throttle-up.I did hit some sand :eek!: and then another time hit some mud,:lookaroun so the prop needs to go back anyway for work.Its going to be a long winter:(

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
11-07-2006, 05:11 PM
Truck, great data, and if I wanted prop work they would do it, they treated me well, I now have a local guy that has what I consider has the same capabilities and is cheaper and local, plus I have two props to do vice one.
- For some reason it is just a lesson learned for me, maybe no issue for you, but I did a lot of prop testing, and when I went bigger in pitch than Donzi recommended in my last boat I had drive issues, again, you add that to driving styles, again, that equals dollars.
Remember my 7800 pound 26ZX ate drives as you know, yes my style and also weight to drive capability. This added HP your adding is going to cost possibly big $$$'s in a drive issue, unless you you are already Conrad or XR now.
My X-Drives are pushing a lot more weight and with some respect from me, = no failure issues in 3 seasons, 170 hours.
Again my 2cents. (Pic of mine off annually for maitenance, signed the work order today for this year).
Bryan

LKSD
11-08-2006, 07:37 AM
I believe the steps on the 27zr are a moved a little & the bottom is slightly different compared to what he has... Kristin & I were looking at 1 last week & talking about its differences..

BigGrizzly
11-08-2006, 10:03 AM
Bryan, we do need to chat it has been too long, I'll call. As you probablly know it has been a tough past year and a half, thank God for boats and Faith.

fasttrucker
11-08-2006, 06:43 PM
Bryan,I havent had any issues with my bravo-1.:shades: I know as you add power and pitch you add stress.I dont often get the props out of the water here on the chesapeake bay.I try not to nail It from a dead stop.I get it up on plain slowly and trim the boat then I hit the throttle hard.I love the feeling of fast acceleration:eek: .There is a 26 sonic here that has gone thru 2-bravo-1s:smash: He went to a xr drive,but he is a nut.Drives hard and doesnt let-up.He trys to run with me out in the ruff-stuff,but as soon as I start to pull away from him he backs-off so as not to get beat.I think you must have to run hard on your drives out in the big water off va.,launching your donzi off a wave.I would like to come down next summer for a weekend and run with you.bill:boat:

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
11-08-2006, 07:05 PM
FTruck, you know you are welcome here, you and your wife was a great host the weekend we met that I bought the 33ZX, thank you.

Chesapeake Bay, never flat here.. :) 3 rivers meet/bay...

Keep taking care of that machine and keep us posted.. pictures please, we all love pictures! :)
Bryan

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
11-08-2006, 08:19 PM
Try this link of the Chesapeake Bay heading to the ocean for our 2006 Poker Run, GREAT slide show of some Donzi's doing their thing!
Makes me proud of our boat club...

10 second advertisement to view it.......

http://photoshow.comcast.net/watch/rs6Xi2Pn

The Hedgehog
11-10-2006, 07:00 AM
Are your risers the fully dry ones that come all the way to the transom or are they the stardard long length risers?

I am doing a little long term planning myself.

LKSD
11-11-2006, 08:34 AM
Try this link of the Chesapeake Bay heading to the ocean for our 2006 Poker Run, GREAT slide show of some Donzi's doing their thing!
Makes me proud of our boat club...
10 second advertisement to view it.......
http://photoshow.comcast.net/watch/rs6Xi2Pn

Looks like it was a fun run.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

fasttrucker
11-11-2006, 11:34 AM
Bryan,cool pictures of your poker run.:yes:Would like to trailer down next year :cool!: Big green zx,I have stainless marine exhaust,my pipes are double walled.They go straight out the back from the manifold,then right at the end....the water and exhaust mix.So there can not be water reversion.The shop at CMS came-up with this I didnt even know or ask him to do it.Really cool stuff.

Last Real Texan
11-11-2006, 06:42 PM
what's up COOLIO?

LRT

Cuda
11-11-2006, 10:20 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but what model boat do you have, and what is the current power plant?

fasttrucker
11-12-2006, 12:21 PM
1998,28zx"double-step":boat: with a 502/415 hp.Cuda I thought for over 5 years on the donzi site you would have read my posts on my engine?:hyper: Ive done something every year.:lightning Ill give a short history.....Bought boat used from 2nd owner on5/15/02.120hrs.It was a slow boat only65mph on speedo.So on 7/25/02 I installed stainless marine exhaust,re-programed ecu and added a free flowing air filter.Fresh water flush/sea strainer.This got me to 72mph on speedo.Then I noticed I was going through a lot of oil.I wanted to go faster anyway and the winter of 2003 we pulled the motor.The valves were burnt, I guess the fuel injection/leaned out the motor.We sent the block+ heads to the machine shop.Then added msd ign.holly750 double pumper on victor jr manifold,crane cam,gold race rockers,ect.Basicly making the motor into a hp500-525?Best speed now is 75gps,but normally I get 73gps.I hope this answers you question? I have left a lot of upgrades out of this post,new parts for the dash ,lower unit,prop,s.s trim bracket.LCD pop up bow light.New trailer.I guess if I look back on it :lookaroun I could have spent the money on something else.Like saving for retirement or my sons college.Oh -well.:bonk:

Cuda
11-12-2006, 12:26 PM
There are so many members now, I have a hard time remembering all the boats and power, hell, I have a hard time remembering what I was going to do when I walk out of the room. :( :)

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
11-12-2006, 02:27 PM
FTRUCK, just let me know, go to our website below early in the year and follow the Poker Run Data, it is a lot cheaper if locked in by March. I will have a firm grasp on my 07 scheule by then.
I deploy again next year for at least 6 months in Sept or Oct, therefore work ups with the carrier are prior to.
Stay in touch.

This weekend was new depth gauge, hub and wheel. Pic attached.
Marine Machine shifters next.
Bryan

LKSD
11-12-2006, 11:26 PM
This weekend was new depth gauge, hub and wheel. Pic attached.
Marine Machine shifters next.
Bryan

Brian, Nice bling!! it looks good.. :) J

fasttrucker
11-13-2006, 05:49 PM
Cuda,not a problem.....I like to talk about donzis.Do you remember meeting me at the hometown party two years ago? I spent a lot of time at the pool and the Bar!:yes:
Bryan will check it out!:)

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
11-13-2006, 06:01 PM
FTRUCK, sounds good, we have a 38ZX a couple ZR's that run and YES a 22 Classic. He is deployed at the moment, he is a local Navy pilot with a Red & White 22 Classic. He has nads is all I will say.
Our May Poker Run was challenging also, he was one of only a few to make ALL stops....

I have said it a dozen times, we want pictures of your power plant....

Bryan