PDA

View Full Version : Bama noise police!

The Hedgehog
11-04-2006, 02:32 PM
Has anyone else in Bama taken flack from the Marine Police about the noise ordinance?

The law has been around for some time but I sort of figured it would be a while before it would be seriously enforced. I just caught some flack for the second time by the marine police. He was nice both times but this time told me it would be a $200 ticket if he catches me again. He does not have a decible meter but told me he had no doubt that my boat is unbaffled. He is right.

He did tell me that he has no problem with a switchable system. He just does not want me running in the creeks and slews with the pipes open.

I just think I need to consider some of those Hardin Marine switchable tips. Man those things are kind of expensive! Maybe I will get some of those $75 slip ins to use when I use in the lower lake, just not sure how long they will get along with by blower. I heard that they are only good to about 500hp.

Greg
11-04-2006, 04:03 PM
Hey Big Green, I have a set of the slip-ins on my Scarab. They do take the bark out. On mine I had a welder use a plasma cutter and make about a 1" hole in the center of the plate that blocks the straight out exhaust. Works very well. They are an easy in and easy out application so try them stock at first and modify from there. Switchable is nice though. I use both. Good luck with the cops. Greg

BigGrizzly
11-04-2006, 05:21 PM
Green I don't rememberare you the one with a procharger if so DON'T use slipins after 3500 RPMs you will have some problem internally. If you are normally asperated and have a HP 500 it will be ok sort of. I knoe someone is going to say " I have been running them for years without a problem". Well we spent a lot of time on the dyno for exactlly the same reason. Every time they see Garry put his boat in, he gets a visit. So far we have been lucky because we Know how to fool the DB meter to a point. We have learned alot in motorcycle and car racing when it comes to sound testing. Spend the money your boat is good looking don't cheapen it up with JV equipment. The police was being cool if he wanted he could get you on the main lake too. Just a though He knows you now and may not be nice later.

The Hedgehog
11-04-2006, 09:38 PM
Green I don't rememberare you the one with a procharger if so DON'T use slipins after 3500 RPMs you will have some problem internally. If you are normally asperated and have a HP 500 it will be ok sort of. I knoe someone is going to say " I have been running them for years without a problem". Well we spent a lot of time on the dyno for exactlly the same reason. Every time they see Garry put his boat in, he gets a visit. So far we have been lucky because we Know how to fool the DB meter to a point. We have learned alot in motorcycle and car racing when it comes to sound testing. Spend the money your boat is good looking don't cheapen it up with JV equipment. The police was being cool if he wanted he could get you on the main lake too. Just a though He knows you now and may not be nice later.

Thanks for the input. You hit exactly what I was worried about. I am the one with the Procharger. Was worried about running in boost with the tips. If I had a N/A engine I would do the others with a hole drilled.

I will probably save the money and get the good tips

Forrest
11-07-2006, 02:53 PM
You just need to run on the Georgia side of the lake! :wink:

But really, I had reversion problems with my 383s in the Magnum when I used slip-in mufflers. Now I run straight-through slip-in housings with the baffles removed . . . it might work, looks like mufflers!

p729lws
11-07-2006, 04:08 PM

I'd better stay on the Georgia side with Forrest for E9, lol. Someone's going to have to tow me if I go on the AL side...

Dan

BigGrizzly
11-07-2006, 04:24 PM
Here is what I did. I put on CMI silent whatever. they loose 4db without switching and are even quiet at idle. If you switch exhaust is under the water even without the bellos attached(I have no bellos). the other option is switchable tips like on my blue Corsican. You can even set them up with a msd unit to turn off at 3000 incase you forget. That is the next option on my list. Glad i saw the post.

The Hedgehog
11-07-2006, 05:12 PM
But really, I had reversion problems with my 383s in the Magnum when I used slip-in mufflers. Now I run straight-through slip-in housings with the baffles removed . . . it might work, looks like mufflers!

You need to get some places where I can get a beer and a burger on your side (Other than Bagby) and I will!

I have just ordered slip-ins from CP and plan to punch a 1" hole in the middle (to relieve more back pressure) so I can have "mufflers" Only $80 so no big deal there. I plan to primarily use them when I go down to the lower lake and wont be running hard. Long term I will probably go to some of the Hardin Switchables if it becomes too much of a pain.

Running on the Bama side is ok. You just need to avoid the slew at Bakers Landing and White Oak Creek. The north end of the lake where I frequent remains pretty safe.

The Hedgehog
11-07-2006, 05:14 PM
Here is what I did. I put on CMI silent whatever. they loose 4db without switching and are even quiet at idle. If you switch exhaust is under the water even without the bellos attached(I have no bellos). the other option is switchable tips like on my blue Corsican. You can even set them up with a msd unit to turn off at 3000 incase you forget. That is the next option on my list. Glad i saw the post.

Which tips are those that automatically open at 3,000? I like that long term.