PDA

View Full Version : Outdrive Stand - Anyone use them

Ranman
11-03-2006, 06:42 PM
I would like to take the Bravo off the back for winter storage so I can push the boat back in the garage another 24" or so. I'm just looking for something that will hold the drive up and doesn't take up too much space in the garage when not in use. Anyone out there using something like this?

DonCig
11-03-2006, 06:51 PM
Randy, I use them all the time. Get them on ebay for $150 new and you just purchased the cheapest extension known to man for your garage.

Don

MOP
11-03-2006, 07:17 PM
Randy I hang mine from a beam on a heavy ratchet strap, they are close to the wall and best of all co,p;etely out of the way. Honest I threw out a "Real McCoy" old hydraulic shop stand with wheels got sick & tired of it being in the way. Thinking about it now I could have palmed it off on some poor member, it lifted, tilted and damn near danced and I learned to hate it!!!

Ranman
11-03-2006, 07:19 PM
Thanks. There's lots of room in the garage, but I'm just shy of getting two cars and the boat to fit. One day I might put a lift in so I can get a car in under the boat or maybe I'll upgrade someday to something bigger. :shades: :shades:

LKSD
11-04-2006, 08:37 AM
Ranman,
We have drive stands on casters that are powder coated starting at about a hundred bucks.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

http://www.lakesiderestorations.com/index.jsp?id=109

olredalert
11-04-2006, 10:03 AM
Randy,,,If you dont care about the casters Ill bet a length of 2by4 and about half an hour would make you a good useable stand!!!.........Bill S

Rodger
11-04-2006, 11:07 AM
I made one from some old wood and casters, investing $0.00, and have been using it for over 20 years. I can just roll the drive wherever I want.

Schnook
11-04-2006, 11:54 AM
They're pretty easy to make w/whatever you may have laying around. I used unistrut and allthread, set in on a furniture dolly and I was in business. Cost- $5.65 (6 pack)

Walt. H.
11-04-2006, 11:51 PM
Randy,
It doesn't look like you're cramped for space you lucky guy but yeah if you feel you need to, either follow Phil's advice or pick up a store bought stand or do like I did in the bottom of the photo.
Build one yourself from 1" box steel and some 1-1/4" angle iron can of spray paint and some plastic tubing for a none scratch surface.
Or just lean it against the wall in the corner wrapped in a blanket or carpet.:yes:
Walt...

MOP
11-06-2006, 01:03 PM
http://www.cpperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=6500

Walt. H.
11-06-2006, 11:38 PM
Ha ha!
I saved two thirds the cost plus shipping welding the same thing up myself, but of course it did cost me an entire day to build it though.:bonk: :yes: :frown:
So maybe it pays to just go out and buy one? But then again the first one always takes longer because the measurements and angles we're unknown at first.:jestera: :checkered

MOP
11-07-2006, 05:43 AM
One very important thing about these small stands, if you have any bad spots in you cement cracks, ruts etc pull the stand to where it has to go. Reason the drive on the stand is quite top heavy and can tip far more easily then one would think, if you are pulling the drive/stand you can catch it before it hits the cement no way can you stop it from falling when pushing.

BigGrizzly
11-07-2006, 11:27 AM
Here is a though do what I do use that cherry picker and a tie down or ratchet strap. nothing to buy nothingto make and you onlu use it two times a year, and it dolly wheels and is totally ajustable.

Cuda
11-11-2006, 08:27 AM
I use a drive "bed". :wink:

Rich
11-11-2006, 03:01 PM
Go to ebay and search for "outdrive stand" They have a few different styles. The U-Pod looks easy to make out of plywood.