PDA

View Full Version : depth sounder install

margo
11-03-2006, 05:21 PM
Any of you guys ever install a depth sounder with a thru hull transducer? It,s to cold now but when my 16 was in i tryed to get a reading doing the things that were recomended like a bag full of water water in the bottom vasoline moveing it around to locate a spot...No luck ...When i held it overboard in the water it worked fine....Hate to do it but as a last resort a transom mount....does the hull material block the signal? I don,t know....It,s a Hawkeye df1000d.supposed to read at speads into the 60s...Put one in my 28 formula in hull works great I would appreciate any help i can get....I,m on the great Sacandaga lake which varies in depth constantly depending on the weather....Thanks Joe

zimm17
11-05-2006, 11:57 PM
I installed a Faria thru-hull in my 22. I didn't mess with the water filled bag. I cleaned a spot in the bildge under the engine with some rubbing alcohol. Then I used clear silicone RTV to stick down the housing- let it dry for a day or two, then fill the cavity with antifreeze and carefully push in the sender. It was a little tricky to do it without the housing moving around- the silicone isn't the best "glue" out there. But it's held up to half a season so far and gives great readings at all speeds. The beauty is that if it doesn't work, you can easily peal it up and try again in a different spot. Much better than epoxy which is a one-shot deal.

hardcrab
11-06-2006, 07:02 AM
the idea is to find a location that doesn't have any air pockets in the fiberglass . if using the silicone / adhesive method, work out any bubbles.
you might want to use the water bag to find a good spot on the hull , then stick it on semi-permenant.

i bought a Hawkeye also (haven't taken out of the package yet) - would be curious to hear how you like yours, speed range readings ?

:alligator

Schnook
11-06-2006, 12:01 PM
I took a piece of 4" pvc, cut it at an agle and siliconed it in the bilge. Mounted the transducer inside and fill with water as one of my pre-launch checks. So far it's worked fine.

hardcrab
11-06-2006, 04:32 PM
I took a piece of 4" pvc, cut it at an agle and siliconed it in the bilge. Mounted the transducer inside and fill with water as one of my pre-launch checks. So far it's worked fine.
this works well using mineral oil instead of water

f_inscreenname
11-06-2006, 09:17 PM
I use a Hawkeye transom mount. Great at all speeds. Was going to mount to the inside hull but for all the reason above I didn't. Also I figure the transom is in the water the most. Anything further forward has a bigger chance not being in the water and I want to know exactly what is under my drive at all speeds and wakes. :wink:

justleft
11-07-2006, 05:29 PM
We always had the transom mount transducer (say that 10 times)
fold up or even break off after several big landings in the off shore toy.

But we also were breaking sprung and knife edged pitot tubes.

I like the PVC idea.

margo
11-09-2006, 05:48 PM
Thanks guys for the info think i,m going to go with the transom mount which is pretty fool proof....Had no luck in the hull...Does any one know if it would read in a bucket of water holding it out over the side just to test it? Joe

hardcrab
11-09-2006, 07:10 PM
if you're holding it over the side, you don't need a bucket of water.
the purpose of a water chamber in side the boat is to eliminate ANY air between the transducer and the seawater, this will include finding a location without air pockets in the fiberglass or in the silicone/adhesive to affix the transducer to the hull
using a water bag is great for testing locations prior to installation, but any air bubbles will interfere with the reading.
just dangling the transducer over the side will give you a reading as is.

ALSO: route the transducer cable clear of other electrical wiring to prevent bad readings

margo
11-10-2006, 05:49 PM
I,m talking about with the boat on a trailer in the garage then useing the bucket of water over the side just for testing to make sure it works Joe

MOP
11-10-2006, 06:45 PM
The boat must be in the water for testing, they do not read "AIR"! It is probably just fine glued just ahead of the bilge pump.

realbold
11-10-2006, 08:00 PM
Glad this topic came up as I want to try a thru hull also, dont want more crap screwed to the transom and more drag, breaking off, etc....

MOP
11-11-2006, 08:20 AM
Checking for a good spot with a water works fine but should be done out in water with some depth to it, most any install will read in the shallows get out into about 40. There are several methods of mounting, won't argue any they all have their place for higher performance boat that will bounce around a bit I prefer clear silicone. It has proven reliable, less bother and allows reasonably easy removal if the transducer dies. The trick with silicone is to clean the transducer and hull well, put about 1/8-3/16" of silicone on to the transducer being careful to eliminate all bubbles, put the transducer in by putting one edge down first then rolling it into position onto the hull forcing excess silicone out the other side kind of a tipping motion. Allow at least 24-36 hours to cure, last but not least once hooked up set the keel offset function of the depth finder. The keel offset which is on just about all depth finders have allows you to manually check the depth with a string and sinker then adjust a small screw on the back, I normally set it so it shows the actual depth of the drive at rest. This will save you guess work and metal!