PDA

View Full Version : antifreeze

mikev
11-03-2006, 12:15 PM
Ok guys its been a while since i bought antifreeze and what a suprise when I went to wallyworld to get some for my truck. you can by full strength prestone for 6.88 a gallon or you can get 50/50 mix for the same price whats up with that. why would anyone buy the mix sounds like a way for the anitifreeze companys to make a killing to me. also the wally world brand superthech was the same price thought generic stuff was supposed to be cheaper.

gcarter
11-03-2006, 12:53 PM
The Wally brand is probably the same product...they have a habit of that. The mix though is 1/2 antifreeze and 1/2 DI (pure) water, I think...they don't give that stuff away.

penbroke
11-03-2006, 01:14 PM
The convienience of being able to just pour it in. No fuss. No mixing. No wondering did I already mix the stuff in this jug? No minerals from my well in my cooling system...

Frank

gcarter
11-03-2006, 01:17 PM
No minerals from my well in my cooling system...
Frank
This is a lot more important than most people think.

mikev
11-03-2006, 04:13 PM
The convienience of being able to just pour it in. No fuss. No mixing. No wondering did I already mix the stuff in this jug? No minerals from my well in my cooling system...
Frank
I have city water never had a problem with the stuff out of the hose. It just bugs me big companys just trying to make a killing off of us lets see 2 jugs and my water 14 bucks 4 jugs there stuff 28 even if minerals were and issue dustilled water is like .50 a gallon. sorry guess im just cheap. :tongue:

Ranman
11-03-2006, 05:40 PM
lets see 2 jugs and my water 14 bucks 4 jugs there stuff 28

They're counting on you not doing this math. There are a lot of people out there who don't have a clue when it comes to these things and they are willing (whether they know it or not) to pay extra to make things easier on themselves.

Caveat emptor

gcarter
11-03-2006, 05:59 PM
They're counting on you not doing this math. There are a lot of people out there who don't have a clue when it comes to these things and they are willing (whether they know it or not) to pay extra to make things easier on themselves.
Caveat emptor
Yep, Randy's right.
After all, what does water cost in those cute little sport bottles? $8.00/gallon?
I'm in the water business, and when I mix antifreeze, I dump the gallon of antifreeze into a cleen 5 gallon bucket. Then I fill the container with R.O. water (but, alas, not D.I. water- it would be better). I mix it thoroughly and poor it in the engine. My boat engine has NEVER had hard water in it.
I did an experiment one time....I used 100% antifreeze (not reccomended) in a new car. After 35,000 miles, I changed the intake manifold. The water jackets were just as shiny as when they were new. I suspect you can do the same thing with the proper mix of pure water and antifreeze, particularly if you can reduce the amount of dissolved oxygen in the mix.
Clean surfaces means good heat transfer.
You can shortcut all you want, but this statement is STILL true.

MOP
11-03-2006, 06:50 PM
This is a direct qoute from the Peak Antifreeze site!

Why is it important to mix antifreeze with water?
Antifreeze contains chemicals that protect your engine against rust and corrosion, as well as freeze-up and boil over protection. Water is required to activate the chemicals in the inhibitor package. Furthermore, adding water to antifreeze actually increases the freeze-up and boil over protection provided. For example, a mix of 40% antifreeze and 60% water provides freeze-up protection down to -10°F and boil over protection up to 259°F. In comparison, a mix of 70% antifreeze and 30% water provides freeze-up protection down to -62°F and boil over protection up to 270°F. However, we do not recommend adding more than 70% antifreeze. This would limit the corrosion and freeze up protection and heat transfer capabilities of the antifreeze.

I know for a fact that boats over heat with 50/50 mix in hot weather, also straight anti freeze will freeze before the proper water antifreeze mix! Most of the OEM engine manufacturers had bullitins to reduce the mix to 70% water. Alway mix it a bit over the expected temp range but never run pure, you lose the inhibitor properties and risk your engine.

Phil